Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Amazon App Store and daily free apps

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 ONLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,457 posts

Posted April 11 2011 - 11:45 PM

If you want in on the biggest bargain to hit Android, go to Amazon and get their app store app. As a promotion, Amazon is offering a featured free app of the day. This is no strings attached free, and full paid for free and not free trial versions. Aside from Angry Birds Rio, I've gotten a ton of other free games. Definitely worth checking on a daily basis. Yesterday's game was Zenonia 2.

ETA: I've been checking the Amazon App Store daily for their free deals, but as an appstore itself, the ability to filter by ratings, category, and price makes it much easier to find the app you need than Google Market.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Shane D

Shane D

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted April 12 2011 - 03:37 AM

so far my fave has been fruit ninja

#3 of 10 ONLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,457 posts

Posted April 12 2011 - 04:06 AM

Just a heads up for Captivate owners (or anyone with an AT&T Android phone) -- due to the lockdown of app installation from non-Market sources (aka sideloading), AT&T owners cannot load apps from the Amazon Market directly.  Google "sideload wonder machine" if you want a workaround, but unfortunately, without some sort of update, AT&T users are by and large locked out of the Amazon Market.

The good news is that owners of Android tablets that aren't Google approved can get apps from Amazon now.  But Google developed apps like Maps and Nav are still not available on the Amazon Market.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,847 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted April 12 2011 - 09:47 AM

A triumph for openness!

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,870 posts

Posted April 12 2011 - 09:58 AM

Since they change daily, can the free apps be downloaded and stored somewhere on a PC to be installed later?  I don't actually own an Android device just yet. Posted Image

Thanks for the heads up...

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#6 of 10 ONLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,457 posts

Posted April 12 2011 - 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sam Posten 

A triumph for openness!

Turns out some manufacturer showed AT&T that they should close off everything on their phones even if it inconveniences their users. Posted Image

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,847 posts

Posted April 13 2011 - 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by ManW_TheUncool 

Since they change daily, can the free apps be downloaded and stored somewhere on a PC to be installed later?  I don't actually own an Android device just yet. Posted Image

_Man_

I'm in the same boat, I intend to get an android tablet at some point to play around with, but so far nothing meets my cost requirements.  Would like to 'bank' the free games for when I do, but so far the answer turns out to be 'no', as far as I can tell.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,847 posts

Posted April 13 2011 - 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo 

Turns out some manufacturer showed AT&T that they should close off everything on their phones even if it inconveniences their users. Posted Image

It's more than an inconvenience, it is robbing them of Freedoms (tho obviously Android does not follow the Gnu philosophy, it applies in principle.

http://www.gnu.org/p...hy/free-sw.html

#9 of 10 ONLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,457 posts

Posted April 13 2011 - 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by ManW_TheUncool 

_Man_

Unfortunately, no.  However...

Whenever you buy Android software, free or not, it is linked to your gmail account, not your physical phone.  Which means you can purchase a single license and then install it on as many devices as you wish.  So everything I purchase for the Evo can be downloaded and installed in the Galaxy Tab and vice versa.  If I upgrade to another phone, all of my apps will be there for download again.  And since it's all in the cloud, I don't have to physically back them up.

So if you could get your hands on some sort of Android device, like an old Hero nobody is using, you should be able to download them without even installing and then re-download and install on a new device.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,870 posts

Posted April 14 2011 - 04:10 AM

FWIW, Amazon is featuring the Viewsonic gTab in its Gold Box Deal of the Day today for just $270 (from a marketplace seller):

http://www.amazon.co...VPW0ECT0S3P0QKB

That's a nice price if the gTab is good enough for someone's wants/needs at this point...

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)