Talk me out of buying an Oppo BDP-93

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#121 of 124 David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,479 posts

Posted October 04 2012 - 06:41 AM

There were two hardware mods available for the 93 when I got mine. I bought the standard version of the mod, which does require shutting off and on. However, I normally leave the Oppo in Region B mode. That way it is always ready for Region B and Region Free Blu-rays. Once the mod is installed, it is always region free for DVDs. I use a Region 1 Sony play for Blu-rays that are locked to Region 1. The Pro version of the mod does not require shutting off.

#122 of 124 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,899 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted October 04 2012 - 06:47 AM

I'm having a few problems here with my Oppo BD-83, its a modded multi region one, the problem is i stuck the new release of Total Recall in before changing the region to B, it was at Region A, the region coding warning came up, i powered down the player and pressed the red button in, heard the beeps, pressed 2 for Region B and put the film back on, still showing the region coding screen, i did a test, i put it back to Region A and stuck Valhalla Rising in and got a region coding message, then back to Region B, the disc won't play, it just shows stop on the player, well i put a few DVD discs in which i know are region coded for Region 2 only, they worked perfectly.

I then did some research, i believe memory resume was coming into play with the region coded discs and it was simply putting the disc back to that point, so i stuck six discs in and this is supposed to erase the memory resume for previous discs, it didn't work for Total Recall or Valhalla Rising, both still refuse to play, i'm assuming that since the DVD's play the region coding mod still works but who knows.  Has Oppo increased the memory resume beyond five discs and maybe that's why it's still not working, i wonder.  I tried erasing persistent memory and re-setting to default settings, it didn't work for me.

Can anyone tell me how to erase the memory resume setting so i can try again or any advice on how to test if the mod is down or working, unfortunately most of the discs i own seem to be region free or region A/B but i will try looking through the collection for another region coded one to test.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#123 of 124 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,204 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 06 2012 - 05:16 AM

I have just discovered the 93 remembers where you were on a disc and based on what Malcom wrote it will remember for multiple discs? Malcom, I'm a newbie with the oppo so I can't help you. Perhaps unplugging it would help or maybe there's a reset function. Everyone brags on oppo customer service, maybe they can help?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#124 of 124 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,899 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted October 06 2012 - 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny Angell 

I have just discovered the 93 remembers where you were on a disc and based on what Malcom wrote it will remember for multiple discs?
Malcom, I'm a newbie with the oppo so I can't help you. Perhaps unplugging it would help or maybe there's a reset function. Everyone brags on oppo customer service, maybe they can help?

I did contact them yesterday, they told me to basically go through the reset procedures and, try clicking stop twice before the disc gets to the region code screen, none of it has worked so far, they also said put 10 discs in to erase the memory resume, so maybe it increased with a firmware update, i will try that and keep my fingers crossed that it works, they also said it could be possible with this one disc it just won't work with the region modification as they are not 100% compatible with every disc, i hope that isn't the case but if it is i may consider a cheap Panasonic UK BD player just for UK discs.

I might drag the laptop next door and use it to view Total Recall, media player classic only allows the dts core to be used, that's 1509kbp/s, i wanted dts master hd audio from the disc, i could download PowerDVD and use the trial version of that and view a movie ( i think - if it allows a full film to be seen ) but i'd rather not do that, does Windows Media Player 12 allow dts master hd audio, i disabled that in the laptop but might re-enable it if it does.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users