What's new

Thank you FOX! (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Thank you for releasing some great MGM titles on bluray. Looking forward to releases of RYANS DAUGHTER; HAWAII- GREAT ESCAPE- IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT- WIND AND THE LION- WEST SIDE STORY.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Last year I had heard that The Great Escape was likely for this Memorial Day, but it's not looking good. We're getting a load of westerns, but has anyone announced any war themed classics for late May?

Also heard West Side Story was going to show up this year. I expected it for Mother's Day, but we look to be getting Fiddler On The Roof this spring instead. Maybe it will show up in Q4?

Though I hadn't heard anything previously about it, I do expect In The Heat Of The Night to show up sooner rather than later. It's one of MGM/UAs crown jewels and I don't recall it getting a fancy SE release. It's due for more attention by the studio. If not this year, probably next. I'll be surprised if it's much later than that.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by ShowsOn

I thought Ryan's Daughter was owned by Warner Home Video?

It is owned by Warner Brothers due to their purchase Turner, who at the time owned the pre-1986 MGM films.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I have to say, I'm impressed with the quality and quantity of MGM's catalog output, despite a few major missteps. Their library is basically all they have to keep them afloat, and they have people on their side who are doing all they can to make it look as good as possible.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
It would also be nice to see the original -- MUCH better -- "The Taking of Pelham One Two Three" released on Blu-ray (or at least anamorphic DVD). It's probably the most "New York" film ever released, and deserves to be treated like the classic it is.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul_Scott
Though I hadn't heard anything previously about it, I do expect In The Heat Of The Night to show up sooner rather than later. It's one of MGM/UAs crown jewels and I don't recall it getting a fancy SE release. It's due for more attention by the studio. If not this year, probably next. I'll be surprised if it's much later than that.

The 40th Anniversary Edition was rather good.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I hope Fox continues releasing selections from their own classic catalogue films in blu-ray. They did a smash up job on "The Bible". Perhaps, someone from the company tunes in here. If so, may I make a plea for "The Egyptian" first and foremost. Beyond that, I remember enjoying that old Fox VHS concept of the "Swords and Sandals Collection". If that were revived in blu-ray, we'd get the previous along with "Sodom and Gomorrah" (which would be a hoot in blu). "Demetrius and the Gladiators", "The Story of Ruth" and "David and Bathsheba". These colorful classic epics should ONLY be seen in blu-ray, anyway. Well, I can always dream!

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Rick Thompson

It would also be nice to see the original -- MUCH better -- "The Taking of Pelham One Two Three" released on Blu-ray (or at least anamorphic DVD). It's probably the most "New York" film ever released, and deserves to be treated like the classic it is.

Add my vote for Pelham 1 2 3 as well. I've been waiting for that one forever

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Jeff Ulmer

Has there been an announcement for Wind and the Lion?

It completely missed my eye, but THE WIND AND THE LION also belongs to Warner Brothers. Any Blu-ray would be released by them.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
The original PELHAM has been shown on MGM HD and it looked fantastic.

And I completely agree with Ed about releasing more EPICS on Blu Ray. When done right, they are a tailor made fit for the format and, as I posted in another thread, the main impetus for my getting into Blu.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Originally Posted by Professor Echo

And I completely agree with Ed about releasing more EPICS on Blu Ray. When done right, they are a tailor made fit for the format and, as I posted in another thread, the main impetus for my getting into Blu.

Thank you, Professor Echo! I've been trying to drum up support for a Twilight Time (who has a deal with Fox) blu-ray release of their upcoming "The Egyptian". Folks interested might drop a line to Screen Archives Entertainment. They are a wonderful company that deals mainly with original soundtracks on CD and are the distributors for Twilight Time, as well. With a bit of a nudge it just might happen.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
"Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines"

"Hello, Dolly"

"Cleopatra"

"It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World"

These films should be demonsrtation quality on blu-ray - their 70MM presentations were in the theater

I second "The Great Escape"

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by Ed Lachmann

I hope Fox continues releasing selections from their own classic catalogue films in blu-ray. They did a smash up job on "The Bible". Perhaps, someone from the company tunes in here. If so, may I make a plea for "The Egyptian" first and foremost. Beyond that, I remember enjoying that old Fox VHS concept of the "Swords and Sandals Collection". If that were revived in blu-ray, we'd get the previous along with "Sodom and Gomorrah" (which would be a hoot in blu). "Demetrius and the Gladiators", "The Story of Ruth" and "David and Bathsheba". These colorful classic epics should ONLY be seen in blu-ray, anyway. Well, I can always dream!

I agree with all that but you've overlooked the second most visually glorious "epic" of them all: Esther And The King which would look sensational on Blu-ray - if done right. If you've ever been lucky enough to see a good print of this movie, you'll know what I mean. The first most visually glorious "epic" is, of course, Cleopatra.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Speaking of MGM owned epics, it would be great if EXODUS could be revisited. The DVD is poor, even by MGM 2001 standards, and could easily showcase what a good blu-ray transfer can accomplish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks