What's new

Bose Cinemate 2.1 Speaker System (1 Viewer)

tavorh1

Auditioning
Real Name
Gustavo Rodriguez
Hey guys,
I have a 2010 40 inch Samsung LCD Tv, Sony BDP-S780 BluRay Player and finally the Bose Cinemate 2.1 Speaker System. This Bose system is the Cinemate 1 that brings a universal remote, not the GS or series 2. The system sounds great with movies, but is definetely lacking a lot of bass. I wanted to make the investment for that great bose bass I heard in other systems like 2.1 GS DVD entertainment system and 5.1 Bose systems. I bought the item refurbished off bose for 370$ but I am not satisfied with the lack of bass. I want to upgrade to a system at the same price range or somehow fix this bass issue. I could sell it. I just simply want the best audio posible for the buck. Although movie sound is important I care more for music sound quality. What do you recommend?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Best idea is to sell it and start over. BO$E does not have a subwoofer. They have a 'bass module'. It does not (it cannot) produce the 'great bass" you heard at the carefully controlled demo unless you have that exact room and play that exact media. In the real world there's a saying. No highs, no lows, it must be BOSE. :D Are you saying you want to spend another $370? If so, sell the BOSE, and put that money with your $370 and get something better. Just be sure to ask here BEFORE you buy. :D

tavorh1

Auditioning
Real Name
Gustavo Rodriguez
The reason I bought it is because I've heard other Bose speakers like the 5.1 systems and they have very deep bass. I mean its not in a demo controlled area. I was thinking of maybe upgrading to the Bose Cinemate Series II since they are the same, but with a bass knob to increase and decrease bass. I simply want the best 2.1 speaker system I can get for that price range. Lets say under 500$.

tavorh1

Auditioning
Real Name
Gustavo Rodriguez
ok. im listening. what setup could i get for under 500$? meaning speakers, subwoofer and receiver. thanks for the help

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Honestly, If any of those Bose systems sounded good to your ears then your first stop should be to see an audiologist to get your hearing tested. However, I don't think you will be able to find a set if hearing aids for $500.

My suggestion is that you take some of your favorite audio tracks with you and go listen to as many systems as you can and compare it to the junk that Bose passes off as audio equipment. One thing you will find out is you won't be able to compare it to Bose because you won't find any Bose Systems close to any other speakers in the store and they will not play your own music on any Bose equipment. That is because Bose uses specially produced demos to make their speakers sound good, Once you get them home you will find they don't sound as good as they did in the store.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Onkyo HT-SR800 7.1-channel HTiB (home theater in a box) that I bought three years ago for exactly $500. This was an entry-level A/V system for me, which I was thrilled to find had plenty of power to fill a large living room with rich, thunderous sound from the most demanding of movies and TV. The 3 front speakers are generously sized, the powered subwoofer is, I think, exceptional for being included in this price, and even the small surround speakers do a fine job. Unlike some HTiB manufacturers, Onkyo also gives you a "real" receiver -- meaning, plenty of inputs for additional components (this was of critical importance for me), plus analog surround inputs in case you need them.

The only inconvenience was that the HDMI output carried only video, so I had to connect audio via digital optical and coax which, once set up, are fine but it makes switching between sources a two-step process. This older model also doesn't decode the latest lossless audio tracks, but really, the standard ones are fine audio. I'd expect Onkyo's current models to be just as good, if not better, than this one.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The 800 (and 760/780 that came before it) were very good receiver/speaker packages. Unfortunately, as they have had to add more and more features to their receivers while trying to maintain the same price point the speakers have taken a step or two backwards recently. But Onkyo htib's are still the best of the lot. These are factory refurbished items from ac4l.com but they come with a one year warranty from Onkyo. The Onkyo-6300 is $389 + shipping, the Onkyo-HT540/7.1 speaker/sub woofer package is $169.99 + s/h and should be close to the sound and build quality of the HT-800 Charles mentioned. Add a more current receiver from ac4l (the Onkyo 508 is only $179 + s/h) and you would have a pretty nice sounding system at your budget. The Onkyo-9300 is $649 + shipping but is a real step up in speaker and sub woofer quality. The receiver is very close to the Onkyo 608.

Fluance is another in-expensive speaker option but they seem to have been out of stock of their most popular products for quite a while now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks