Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Looks like Mill Creek got the bottom of Disney's barrel...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 of 39 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,971 posts

Posted April 06 2011 - 08:28 AM

There isn't one title among the announced Touchstone/Hollywood Blu-ray films licensed to Mill Creek that holds even a modicum of interest for me (I know I don't speak for everyone). But, couldn't they have gotten some of the truly cool stuff like DICK TRACY (I don't know how Warren Beatty's recent lawsuit win will affect the possible Blu release of this), the first STAKEOUT, SPLASH, etc.?

#2 of 39 AlexS2

AlexS2

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted April 06 2011 - 08:57 AM

DICK TRACY (I don't know how Warren Beatty's recent lawsuit win will affect the possible Blu release of this)

Hopefully we finaly get the Director's Cut

#3 of 39 Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted April 06 2011 - 12:36 PM

TARGET has 4 of them as Exclusives NOW.  Big Business, Another Stakeout, Gross Anatomy and Straight Talk.  They are 5.00 each.  I bought Straight Talk.  it looks nice and for the price is a good deal,

I'm wondering if titles like Ed Wood, Roger Rabbit, Good Morning Vietnam, The Insider and other A titles will get released by Disney or someone else.

#4 of 39 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,120 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted April 06 2011 - 04:03 PM

They are out already? And $5, for a blu-ray? Wow, I'll have to drop by Target to pick up Another Stakeout. It really will be amazing if Disney partnering with Mill Creek turns out to be a good thing and we get bargain prices of good quality blu-rays! One part of my brain says it's too good to be true and it's just going to be an upconvert of standard definition...

Originally Posted by Bradley-E 

TARGET has 4 of them as Exclusives NOW.  Big Business, Another Stakeout, Gross Anatomy and Straight Talk.  They are 5.00 each.  I bought Straight Talk.  it looks nice and for the price is a good deal,

I'm wondering if titles like Ed Wood, Roger Rabbit, Good Morning Vietnam, The Insider and other A titles will get released by Disney or someone else.

#5 of 39 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted April 06 2011 - 04:54 PM

Dick Tracy made something like $160 million world wide, a very big hit for its day. Disney isn't going to licence out something like that, or Splash to a third party

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#6 of 39 Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

• 639 posts

Posted April 07 2011 - 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas Monce 

Dick Tracy made something like $160 million world wide, a very big hit for its day. Disney isn't going to licence out something like that, or Splash to a third party

Doug

Agreed they wouldn't license those out; however I wouldn't say DICK TRACY was a "very big hit." It did $100 million domestic but was also one of the costliest films of its era (it cost half that and they spent loads on promotion/advertising). By comparison BATMAN actually cost less but made over twice as much. So it made a profit, yes, but it was definitely not the blockbuster they were hoping it would be.

#7 of 39 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,335 posts

Posted April 07 2011 - 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bradley-E 

Why would Disney license out some of its biggest assets? Plus Roger Rabbit is still a big studio commodity; he's still being used in the Disney parks. His eventual bluray will be a big moneymaker for them--

#8 of 39 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,384 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 07 2011 - 06:55 AM

Disney hasn't officially given up on the Roger Rabbit sequel yet -- I assume they'll wait and tie in a release of the original with the sequel (or at least wait until they drop the sequel).

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#9 of 39 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,120 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted April 07 2011 - 09:15 AM

Can anyone confirm that Another Stakeout is in its OAR? The movie was shot in Anamorphic Panavision 2.35:1. I've read in another forum that the soundtrack of the blu-ray has been down-mixed to 2.0 surround. It was released theatrically in Dolby Digital 5.1 which was also on the DVD version.

#10 of 39 Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted April 07 2011 - 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mark-P 

Can anyone confirm that Another Stakeout is in its OAR? The movie was shot in Anamorphic Panavision 2.35:1. I've read in another forum that the soundtrack of the blu-ray has been down-mixed to 2.0 surround. It was released theatrically in Dolby Digital 5.1 which was also on the DVD version.

Yes, it is OAR 2:35.1.   Reports are that it looks quite good.  I've only picked up Straight Talk so far which actually looks quite good, it has a nice looking transfer.   Unfortunately these are 2.0. surround.   But for $5.00 I am not complaining.  Target only has the 4 titles but on May 10th all stores will have those 4 titles along with An Innocent Man, VI Warshawski, Money for Nothing, Betsy's Wedding, Gun in Betty Lou's Handbag, The Marrying Man, Consenting Adults and My Father the Hero.

#11 of 39 Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted April 07 2011 - 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Ethan Riley 

Why would Disney license out some of its biggest assets? Plus Roger Rabbit is still a big studio commodity; he's still being used in the Disney parks. His eventual bluray will be a big moneymaker for them--

Maybe Roger Rabbit is a bad example.  But one has to wonder outside of the B titles Mill Creek is distributing will titles like Ed Wood, Dick Tracy, Splash or The Insider ever get a Blu ray release?  Disney themselves has no interest in releasing ANYTHING from the Hollywood Pictures , Touchstone library.

#12 of 39 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted April 07 2011 - 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mike_Richardson 

Agreed they wouldn't license those out; however I wouldn't say DICK TRACY was a "very big hit." It did $100 million domestic but was also one of the costliest films of its era (it cost half that and they spent loads on promotion/advertising). By comparison BATMAN actually cost less but made over twice as much. So it made a profit, yes, but it was definitely not the blockbuster they were hoping it would be.

Dick Tracy cost about $47 million. On the high side of average for 1990, but not the top to be sure with films like Die Hard 2 costing over $70 million.  $160 world wide is a respectable take for a film in the 40 to 50 million dollar range.  But most films that year had to contend with the one two juggernaut that was Home Alone and Ghost.

I for one would love to see Warren Beatty do something with Dick Tracy on TV. How cool would a Dick Tracy TV show be???

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#13 of 39 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,619 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted April 07 2011 - 05:42 PM

Oooo An Innocent Man.  Great flick and would llove to retire my pan'n scan DVD.  I'm all for licensing them out if it means I will be able to get them sooner.

#14 of 39 Keith I

Keith I

FoS

• 1,000 posts
  • LocationFive-Oh!

Posted April 07 2011 - 06:25 PM

I bought Another Stakeout from Target for $5. It is 2.35:1 1080p but the audio is DTS-HD MA 2.0 (whereas the DVD was 5.1 lossy).

The picture is slightly better on the Blu-ray. It's more vivid and clear.  The DVD looks a little softer with my upconverting Blu-ray player.

I compared the house explosion (one of the best movie explosions along with Blown Away, The Long Kiss Goodnight and Cutthroat Island) and the sound on the Blu-ray sounds flat compared to the 5.1 on the DVD.  Granted, the DVD audio wasn't the best (it sounds artificial), but it packs more punch than the Blu-ray.

There are no extras and no setup area, only Play and Chapters.

At least Mill Creek didn't use paper envelopes that are held in by clips for the Blu-ray discs like their DVDs.

I hope that Touchstone releases Stakeout on Blu-ray since they kept it to themselves.

#15 of 39 Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted April 08 2011 - 05:09 AM

I picked up Another Stakeout also yesterday.  It has pleasant PQ.  For the price I cannot complain.

#16 of 39 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,120 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted April 08 2011 - 05:25 AM

I also ran to Target to snatch up Another Stakeout and Big Business. Both had very decent PQ. Other than the downgrade from 5.1 to 2.0 (for Another Stakeout, Big Business never had 5.1 sound) I'm pleased as punch. If licensing out to distributors like Mill Creek is how we will get back-catalog titles on Blu-ray, I'm all for it.

Hey Disney, I've got an idea - I know you've already got HD masters of many of your films from Walt's era because I've seen them broadcast on the HD Hallmark Movie Channel. Films like The Happiest Millionaire, Blackbeard's Ghost, and The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin. How about licensing some of those out to Mill Creek?

#17 of 39 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,619 posts

Posted April 08 2011 - 07:07 AM

Thanks to this thread I made a trip to Target as well this AM.  They had all four but I just picked up Another Stakeout, Big Business, and Straight Talk.  Bring on the next batch.

I do think its a bit odd that Target has them so cheap while they are exclusive.

#18 of 39 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,022 posts

Posted April 08 2011 - 07:33 AM

What could be the reasoning behind omitting the 5.1 track on the titles that have one available?  If a serviceable, already-released-on-DVD 5.1 track exists for a movie, is it appreciably more difficult to use that than a 2.0 track?

#19 of 39 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,068 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 08 2011 - 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by cafink 

What could be the reasoning behind omitting the 5.1 track on the titles that have one available?  If a serviceable, already-released-on-DVD 5.1 track exists for a movie, is it appreciably more difficult to use that than a 2.0 track?

It's possible that Disney did not provide the 5.1 files to Mill Creek.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#20 of 39 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,619 posts

Posted April 08 2011 - 07:57 AM

I wonder what the size of the average lossless track is?  Another Stakeout has 21.2Gig used out of 25 available.  Could it be a space issue?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users