Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Looks like Mill Creek got the bottom of Disney's barrel...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Keith I

Keith I

FoS

• 1,002 posts
  • LocationFive-Oh!

Posted April 03 2012 - 01:13 AM

When I heard that Mill Creek would be releasing one of my favorite popcorn movies May 15, 2012 on Blu-ray (Terminal Velocity), I remembered this thread, but some of these movies are not "bottom of the barrel" for my wanted titles. While there are no tech specs listed, I'm sure the Blu-ray will be lossless 2.0 instead of the 5.1 on the DVD. A lossless 5.1 mix could have been awesome, especially for the action sequences. I will be pleasantly surprised and happy if the BD does turn out to have 5.1 lossless.

The titles listed from my link below are for releases starting tomorrow April 3, 2012. You can re-sort the list in various ways. Look for other notable titles coming soon like D.O.A. (Quaid/Ryan), White Squall, Before and After, New York Stories, Duets.

http://www.millcreek...street_date&p=9

At least Mill Creek uses lossless audio and OAR for a good price ($10 SRP), unlike other companies (see below).

I wish Disney would provide 5.1 surround tracks.

I read the High-Def Digest article "You're Still Doing it Wrong: More Blu-ray Blunders" and chuckled when I read about studios licensing lesser-desired titles to companies like Echo Bridge. No mention of Mill Creek.

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   RKR1970

RKR1970

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted April 04 2012 - 08:24 PM

The last set of masters Paramount licensed to Olive FIlms for BD really suck. Who’s Minding The Store? might be the worst looking BD I own (with Who’s Got The Action? and The Mountain for a close second and third).

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 05 2012 - 10:40 AM

What could be the reasoning behind omitting the 5.1 track on the titles that have one available?  If a serviceable, already-released-on-DVD 5.1 track exists for a movie, is it appreciably more difficult to use that than a 2.0 track?
I always get confused on what setting I should have on my receiver for these 2.0 track releases. I assume most of them, including the Fox stereo films that have been put out only as 2.0 mix means that the rear and center is within the two tracks. I have so many options on my Denon...Neo this and Neo that, but I assume that the matrix is the setting to play it through??? It sounded pretty good on THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN, but I wish they companies would be more specific on what setting you should use.

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,510 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted April 05 2012 - 01:24 PM

Pro-logicIIx
I always get confused on what setting I should have on my receiver for these 2.0 track releases. I assume most of them, including the Fox stereo films that have been put out only as 2.0 mix means that the rear and center is within the two tracks. I have so many options on my Denon...Neo this and Neo that, but I assume that the matrix is the setting to play it through??? It sounded pretty good on THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN, but I wish they companies would be more specific on what setting you should use.

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 05 2012 - 02:19 PM

Thanks Mark

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted April 08 2012 - 03:03 PM

Reminds me of the Anchor Bay DVDs. I remember hearing how Michael Eisner hit the roof when AB got praise for making better DVDs than Disney was. They even put a stop to their effort to reconstruct the original version of Watcher in the Woods. I'd love the Roadshow version of Happiest Millionaire on DVD (I think Hallmark's master is the short version). Throw in The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band while they're at it. Neither of them had anamorphic DVDs (Millionaire looked worse on Disney's DVD than AB's, and Family Band is not OAR), and I doubt they'll ever get released if they're done in-house. If they're getting mainly the titles Eisner called "singles and doubles" from Touchstone, here are my suggestions: Ruthless People What About Bob? (another non-anamorphic DVD) Noises Off… Sister Act (a musical version is opening on Broadway) The Ref (was on HDNet Movies a few years ago, so an HD master exists)
I would buy "Noises Off", "The Ref" and "Ruthless People" IMMEDIATELY on Blu-Ray!

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Keith I

Keith I

FoS

• 1,002 posts
  • LocationFive-Oh!

Posted May 21 2012 - 09:58 PM

There is good news! On Blu-ray.com, they only say "DTS-HD 5.1" (to nitpick the lingo) for Terminal Velocity. DVD Empire usually has great back cover scans, but they don't even have the latest Mill Creek BDs listed. Blu-ray.com doesn't have a back cover scan either. But I have the disc in-hand and it says "English 5.1". Uh oh! There is an extra statement, though: "DTS-HD Master Audio™ is the premium high definition audio format which is identical to the audio master (lossless)." Then there is the logo "dts-HD Master Audio | 5.1" nearby. The only problem is that I cannot test the audio as my system is out-of-commission at the moment. I'm hoping it rocks the house! Awesome job, Mill Creek! This is a great example of improvement from prior releases. Maybe White Squall will also sound awesome. The movie is 1080p in a 2.40:1 aspect ratio. There is a standard definition trailer as an extra.

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,455 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 21 2012 - 10:44 PM

Blu-ray.com has reviews of White Squall and Gone Fishin', and both have DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio according to them. D.O.A. (1988) has DTS-HD MA 2.0 (no word on if it's stereo or surround), Good to see Mill Creek listening to the feedback from consumers.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,160 posts

Posted May 24 2012 - 11:30 AM

Hoping for DEEP RISING to turn up from Mill Creek.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,335 posts

Posted May 24 2012 - 11:44 AM

DEEP RISING...seconded!

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts
  • LocationNew York City/San Lorenzo, PR

Posted May 25 2012 - 04:36 AM

I just rewatched DEEP RISING and was reminded how extremely well-made (and entertaining) the film was. The perfect modern monster movie - even the special effects were well done. I remember this DVD as being one of the better-looking letterboxed transfers back in the day but it definitely needs an upgrade.
RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos.

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 05:57 AM

I haven't seen it in years, but I, too, would love to see Deep Rising on Blu-ray and would definitely purchase it!

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,160 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 08:41 AM

It's a goofy movie, but I watched it on the iPad with my wife when we went for a cruise with her family in April (seemed.... appropriate) and it really holds up. Some of the FX aren't great, but it's a helluva lot more fun than most of Stephen Sommers' other movies, save perhaps for the first MUMMY .

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,016 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted May 25 2012 - 12:52 PM

I have Terminal Velocity in front of me and on the back it clearly shows DTS HD Master Audio 5.1, 1080P.  It appears to be a BD25.

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,335 posts

Posted May 26 2012 - 05:54 AM

I'd like to see Disney's 1998 remake of MIGHTY JOE YOUNG on Blu-ray.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users