Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

CRACK IN THE WORLD (Blu, July 5th)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 690 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 05 2011 - 08:47 AM

I just received notice that Paramount's CRACK IN THE WORLD is coming to blu on July 5th from Olive Films. I bought the recent standard DVD and it looks very nice, but of course will upgrade to the Blu version. I just wish they would release these together, but I guess they had to see how sales would be.

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,857 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 05 2011 - 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by John Morgan 

I just received notice that Paramount's CRACK IN THE WORLD is coming to blu on July 5th from Olive Films. I bought the recent standard DVD and it looks very nice, but of course will upgrade to the Blu version. I just wish they would release these together, but I guess they had to see how sales would be.

Well it does lead me to believe that sales were good enough to go Blu.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   ShowsOn

ShowsOn

Second Unit

• 253 posts

Posted April 05 2011 - 06:22 PM

Still waiting on the DVD of Skidoo!

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,245 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted April 06 2011 - 02:39 AM

Wow seriously? Great news hopefully this leads to more titles like this to blu.
facebook.com/whotony

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 583 posts

Posted April 06 2011 - 05:07 AM

I'm totally on the same page as ShowsOn as concerns "Skidoo".  Is Olive ever going to release this psychedelic hoot-fest by Otto Preminger?  Maybe it will do really well and warrant a blu-ray, too.  That would be a dream come true!

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted April 06 2011 - 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ed Lachmann 

I'm totally on the same page as ShowsOn as concerns "Skidoo".  Is Olive ever going to release this psychedelic hoot-fest by Otto Preminger?  Maybe it will do really well and warrant a blu-ray, too.  That would be a dream come true!

It won't do well, (it turned off mainstream audiences and the heads as well!) but since it always makes the "50 Worst films of all Times" lists, it deserves to be seen in all its hippy-trippy glory!

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 583 posts

Posted April 06 2011 - 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ethan Riley 

It won't do well, (it turned off mainstream audiences and the heads as well!) but since it always makes the "50 Worst films of all Times" lists, it deserves to be seen in all its hippy-trippy glory!

I don't know about that.  Look at the shelf life of "Plan 9 From Outer Space" and the fact that "Salo" and "Caligula" got the royal treatment in blu-ray.  Talk about turning off the mainstream audience!

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted April 06 2011 - 06:59 AM

I waited 6 months after this first streeted last year, hoping they would announce the Bd release,  something they originally hinted when they first got the Paramount licenses  was a strong possibility. But since it never came, I ordered the DVD (and enjoyed the film quite a bit).

Would have absolutely bought the Bd if it had been announced concurrently, or if they had offered a DVD/Bd release such as Synapse did with Vampire Circus.

Sorry, but as much as I loved the film, I'm just a little annoyed  at this.

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 06 2011 - 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ed Lachmann 

I don't know about that.  Look at the shelf life of "Plan 9 From Outer Space" and the fact that "Salo" and "Caligula" got the royal treatment in blu-ray.  Talk about turning off the mainstream audience!

Salo is not on Blu-ray in the US... yet.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 583 posts

Posted April 06 2011 - 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 

Salo is not on Blu-ray in the US... yet.

The British BFI Region 2 "Salo" blu-ray is one of the best looking I've seen.  Wonder if Criterion could equal it.  In the meantime, I continue to love my region-free Oppo blu-ray player.  Won't hold my breath for a US "Prince Valiant" or "Black Shield of Falworth" in the near future, either.

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 06 2011 - 01:30 PM

I would expect Criterion to release Salo on Blu eventually. Hence my "yet".

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   ShowsOn

ShowsOn

Second Unit

• 253 posts

Posted April 06 2011 - 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ethan Riley 

It won't do well, (it turned off mainstream audiences...

Any film that turns off "mainstream audiences" is worth watching.

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted April 10 2011 - 09:27 AM

After Crack In The World, Olive Films have announced their second BD for July:

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   johnbr

johnbr

Stunt Coordinator

• 148 posts

Posted April 10 2011 - 01:19 PM

I just got my Crack in the World last week bummer but I love the film.

#15 of 16 ONLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted April 11 2011 - 03:18 AM

It's great that Olive is doing Blu-rays. I hope they consider Escape From Zahrain and The Mountain for Blu - these two films would benefit nicely from hi-def treatment.

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Steve_Pannell

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor

• 595 posts
  • LocationNew Albany, MS

Posted April 11 2011 - 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by John Hodson 

After Crack In The World, Olive Films have announced their second BD for July:

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

I recently bought both Crack in the World and Hannie Caulder on DVD. As Paul said above -- annoying.