What's new

Buying my 1st 5.1 surround (1 Viewer)

bladeofthemoon

Auditioning
Real Name
Udhav Vaid
Hi guys,

Im looking to buy my first surround sound system for my room and im hoping for comments and advice from you guys.

ive been offered a lot of systems but since i dont wanna spend too much, im looking at the following system which i kinda like after my initial research.

Polkaudio USA RM6750 (5.1 Speaker System) Denon AVR 1611 amps My room size is 13 X 18 Ft and im aiming watching movies and music. Would you say the system is a decent build? My initial research seems to say that the amps are fine and the only issue people seem to be reporting is with the amps of the Polk Audio system. Thanks. Blade

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The 1611 is a fine receiver for the price, lots of features and Audyssey MultEQ room correction, but I find Denons a bit harder to operate then most other brands. Those Polks are O.K. but most of us prefer larger bookshelves to the smaller satillite speakers. But speakers are a personal choice.

bladeofthemoon

Auditioning
Real Name
Udhav Vaid
well yea i agree that speaker could be a personal choice but since i have zero experience in them, im kinda going with market opinion here.

so if there is someone who has heard these speakers in action, i'd appreciate some feedback.

also, maybe some recommendations for speakers that i could buy.

Ottawa

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Conroy
[FONT= 'Arial']Hi Blade,[/FONT]

[FONT= 'Arial'] [/FONT]

[FONT= 'Arial']I'm not going to spend time reminiscing about my first 5.1 setup...I'll get right to the advice part.[/FONT]

[FONT= 'Arial'] [/FONT]

[FONT= 'Arial']When looking at your receiver, you want to ensure it has the features you want. THX certification, Dolby, True Dolby, DTS...all the good stuff. Make sure that your other equipment (computer, Blu-ray or DVD) all have the right cable outputs and that your receiver has the proper inputs for your devices. Nothing more frustrating than finding out that you have to get an adapter to plug in whatever device instead of using the native receiver connection. Another indicator of a decent receiver is the weight. Heavy is better in most cases. I would advise you to look at Yamaha's line of RX-V3xxx receivers. You can get an RX-V3800 for around $500 now...and that kind of power will last you a few years.[/FONT]

[FONT= 'Arial'] [/FONT]

[FONT= 'Arial']Speakers. You're better off buying used, higher-end speakers online or wherever, rather than box store speakers. Getting a good high-end speaker dirt cheap, that is already "broken in" will sound SO MUCH BETTER than the crap you'll find in box stores. As another poster in this thread mentioned, speakers are a personal choice. If you can, buy your receiver and then try out your potential speakers with your favourite music or movie and choose them that way.[/FONT]

[FONT= 'Arial'] [/FONT]

[FONT= 'Arial']My 2 cents...[/FONT]

[FONT= 'Arial']Kev[/FONT]

bladeofthemoon

Auditioning
Real Name
Udhav Vaid
Hi kev,

the amps that you have recommended seems to be a good system. It has more power compared to the denon amps (140 watts against 110 watts). the certifications i'll need to look into but since its an award winning amps (as said on the site anyways) i think it should be mostly fine.

The speakers are what are really bothering me. The thing is that being in india, getting well maintained broken in speakers is a challenge. So typically i'd wanna go in for new ones here. What im basically gathering is that unless i go listen to a few speaker systems, i'll not know what i want or not. so i suppose i'll have to go do that to finish this line of thought. also, since no one seems to have used the speaker systems im talking about, i suppose i'll have to just go by review.

thanks for you input, it was worth more than the 2 cents ure thinking it was :)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Ottawa

It has more power compared to the denon amps (140 watts against 110 watts). the certifications i'll need to look into but since its an award winning amps (as said on the site anyways) i think it should be mostly fine.

Don't worry about wattage numbers. The difference between 140 wpc and 110 wpc is miniscule. The rule of thumb is that it takes double the wattage to produce a 3dB difference in output volume. If you want loud, make sure your speakers are highly efficient (have a sensitivity rating of at least 90dB) and they will be loud enough with as little as 70-80 wpc for most rooms.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I like the Denon 1611. As others has said, it is difficult to comment on the speakers since even if we have heard them, we may have different tastes. I also agree that you shouldn't buy a receiver because of THX certification. Its not a bad thing, but there are plenty of receivers without it that are just as good or better. As for breaking speakers in, that happens within a few seconds after the first sound. Hopefully this was already done at the factory (testing them is all that is needed). Now, to the main point of my post. :D What is the upper limit of your budget? Perhaps you could spend less on the receiver and a bit more on the speakers? The Denon goes for around $300 while an Onkyo 508 can be found for closer to $200. Also, does it matter if the speakers are bookshelves? Is bigger okay?

bladeofthemoon

Auditioning
Real Name
Udhav Vaid
Originally Posted by Jason Charlton

Finally, thanks guys for the info. i think now i understand what goes into buying a system. a good receiver and the speakers have to heard and accepted :)

Ottawa

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Conroy
Hi Blade,

Did you finally buy your system? What did you get and how does it sound?

bladeofthemoon

Auditioning
Real Name
Udhav Vaid
Hi ottawa,

thanks for asking. Yes i got my system. Denon amps avr 1611 and Polk Audio 6750 speakers. I must say for my room size, they are awesome. enough power to make me NOT want to go full volume, the richness of sound is amazing and the surrounds work fabulous. The auto setting acoustics in the amps is pretty awesome, although if you are a junkie for music, u might wanna do some final tweaking yourself cause like all "auto" systems, it isnt perfect. it needs the human touch.

I haven't tried watching a movie yet so i cant say anything about that but for music it seems to be pretty sweet in my humble opinion. gimme a few more days, imma properly test it on a weekend cause i JUST installed it and weekdays get pretty hectic, if you know what i mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks