Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How to get get good bass and sound to two floor standing house speakers.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   BruceBruce

BruceBruce

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted April 03 2011 - 01:50 PM

Ok I will explain my situation.  I usually just buy surround sound systems all in one box.  I decided to get some large floor standing speakers for my friends house parties.  The speakers say they are 125 w capacity.  I heard them from the guy I bought them from and they hit very nicely.  Now I got home and tried to hook them into my 5.1 receiver which is 800 watts total power and I get great sound but no bass.  My question is will I need a 2 channel reciever just for speakers?  since Im guessing there is no bass going to the spekers because they are just hooked to the right and left speaker and not the subwoofer also since the .1 in 5.1 is for the subwoofer.  So do I need a reciever with out a seperate sub jack or would I just need a reciever to power the subs in the speakers better.  Each box of speakers is about 40 inches tall and has 2 12inch subs 1 mid range and 1 tweeter.  So between the 2 there would be 4 subs 2 mid range and 2 tweeter.  Thank you for any information you can provide.  If your going to sign on here to leave comments about me being stupid and not knowing my electronics feel free but atleast have some good advice afterwards.  Thank you.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,733 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted April 03 2011 - 02:02 PM

It would really help to know the brand and model number of the receiver and of the speakers you just bought along with any other stuff you have hooked up to it. It could just be the crossover setting in the receiver is set too high for your new speakers. If the receiver is from one of those all-in-one systems then it might not be very compatible with other speakers.

The moderators won't allow anyone to call someone stupid around here. This is a pretty friendly forum Posted Image . Besides, we were all new at this too at one time or another. We're here to help Posted Image.

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   BruceBruce

BruceBruce

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted April 03 2011 - 02:31 PM

The receiver is from a htib the receiver model is str k700 the speakers i just bought are jvc spr 550.  ya thats what I was thinking too.  I dont think there is a bass signal sent to the l and r speakers because it is a 5.1 surround and all the bass is being sent to the sub output.  So if both speakers say have a 200 watt peak would I need a 400 watt 2 channel receiver?

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,733 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted April 03 2011 - 02:56 PM

Don't be concerned about the power rating of the speakers. Just give them good, clean, un-distorted power and they'll be fine. The important thing to look at is the ohm or impendance rating. It looks like the JVC 550's are 8 ohm speakers so just about any receiver will power them just fine.

That str k700 probably has a fixed crossover of 150 or even 200. Not surprising you aren't getting any low end from the JVC's. Pretty much all new receivers that aren't part of a htib allow you to choose a crossover, most of them in several steps from 40hz to 150/200.

Wander around the receivers forum a bit and see what's available and what's most often recommended, then come back with more questions Posted Image .

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   BruceBruce

BruceBruce

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted April 03 2011 - 03:25 PM

ok what decent ones do you recommend for one or two hundred dollars?

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   BruceBruce

BruceBruce

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted April 03 2011 - 03:38 PM

would http://www.sears.com...&blockType=L203 this work?  I dont want anything to expensive because I dont want it to get ruined at parties but I still want to get good power n bass.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,733 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted April 03 2011 - 03:39 PM

Just a sample of what's available from Amazon. The Sherwood would be adequate for $90 but ther Onkyo for $135 would be a bit better. Avoid the Pyle models. Pyle aren't what it used to be. They were the "cats meow" in car stereo back in the day (way back in the day) but they're barely flea market fodder these days.

BTW, are you down-sizing to a 2 channel system or were you planning on somehow integrating this into your present surround sound system (not advisable)?

I'll be back tomorrow. Bed time.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   BruceBruce

BruceBruce

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted April 03 2011 - 04:28 PM

I have nice 5.1  htib systems for my tv's but my friend wanted a couple big speakers for his house parties.  So I went and got these and just want to be able to put these in two corners of his living room and hopfully shake some windows with some decent bass.