-

Photo
- - - - -

Home Theater 5.1 Speaker set selection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   arhontis

arhontis

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted April 03 2011 - 05:37 AM

Hello all,   I have a living room 6x4 meters and I want to build a home cinema.   My budget is low and I have researched some speaker sets (5.1) that I would like your opinion of:   1) Klipsch HD Theater 300 (HDT 300) Home Theater System   2) Infinity Primus HCS   3) Infinity BETA HCS   4) JBL SCS 200.5     I am planning to purchase an amplifier Yamaha RX-V367 with HDMI 4 in/1 out but I might get a newer one that has more audio codecs support (I want to stay low on cost, maintaining the 3D ready and 5.1 support, in addition with more than 2 HDMI in.)   My knowledge about audio is very limited, so be patient with me... :)   Thank you in advance for any help/direction you can give me...

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,712 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted April 03 2011 - 11:13 AM

The two Infinity systems would be much better than the Klipsch or JBL ones. They should also be much more expensive.  I wasn't even sure the Beta system was still available. At least it isn't here in the US. Infinity phased out the Beta series and replaced them with the Classica series a couple of years ago.

As for the receiver, the 367 is a very entry level model. If you plan on adding a Bluray player then I would move up to the 467. The 367 doesn't decode the new Dolby and DTS HD audio formats found on BR discs.

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   CB750

CB750

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted April 08 2011 - 05:38 AM

Your purchase decision should be based on which of these systems sound best to your ears.

I have listened to a number of Klipsch 5.1 systems and I found them to be a bit too bright at the high end to suit my ears.  At first they sound impressive but after a 5 to 10 minutes of listening they became fatiguing.