What's new

Shout! Factory's April Fool's Day Joke and Guiding Light (1 Viewer)

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Hi all-

I chuckled out loud at this April Fool's Day joke from Shout! Factory.

http://www.shoutfactory.com/browse/384/guiding_light_the_complete_series.aspx#axzz1IQSRK5uv

As much as I loved Guiding Light, and would love to have certain storylines to revisit, it certainly put in perspective what a complete series box set would look like for this one!!!

Anyone else interested in certain storylines, or even highlight box sets divided by decades, much like what was done for BBC's Coronation Street?

Guiding Light was truly a wonderful show, and I know that many still miss the adventures of the Bauers and Spauldings and Lewis' and Coopers of Springfield!

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Someone else will have to answer that one. I have considered getting the 60's Box set to get a feel for the series, but I already have so much to watch- It would be an interesting way, however to market soaps like Guiding Light. Story highlights and bacground info would make for fascinating watching!

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
I think a better April Fools Joke would have been the announcement of new season sets of shows that they have just stalled (like The Paper Chase and Room 222 for example).

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
So that's what the Box Set of The Guiding Light lools like!

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
So that what the Box Set for The Guiding Light looks like.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Point-Blank

That was hilarious! Thanks for posting, Jack. Got a good laugh out of that today.

As did I. Let me join Walker is saying a big "Thank You" to Jack for linking that!

Gary "don't think I would have found that on my own" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Those who can watch the entire set in order, get it free of charge!

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
For those of us who adored Guiding Light and who mourn the seeming demise of the daytime drama, this "joke" isn't so funny. Especially since soaps have never been released in any proper way on DVD. This is in spite of the numerous ways in which scenes or episodes could be volumized by character, theme, era, etc.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
You forgot about Dark Shadows.

Originally Posted by David Rain

For those of us who adored Guiding Light and who mourn the seeming demise of the daytime drama, this "joke" isn't so funny. Especially since soaps have never been released in any proper way on DVD. This is in spite of the numerous ways in which scenes or episodes could be volumized by character, theme, era, etc.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I'd rather they do Passions. It's only 2,231 episodes and can easily fit onto 500 discs. Let's see--500 discs divided by boxed sets of 10...that's about 50 volumes. It can be done. Or do double-sided discs and then you only need 25 volumes. You see? It can be done.

Dirk06

Grip
Real Name
Jeff

I feel so sorry for you. As a soap fan, you must be so distraught that Shout! tried to play up your distress for comic relief. Maybe you could write them a letter!

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
The link to April's Fool joke is not working for me. I think maybe they removed it. Did anybody save it? I could use a laugh>

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

David-

I too adored the soap. It is a touchstone to my past, and I would love to have some kind of DVD set to revisit from time to time. Certainly did not mean to mock your loss, as it was my loss as well.

What I found funny was the packaging ( a huge trailer) ands the price (45000 dollars if my memory serves me correctly)!

I would love to see sets of this show released by decades, with full selected episodes to cover story lines. I would buy these without thinking twice!

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Thanks for posting the pic, William.

Some days I feel like I'm going to need a storage shed to hold all my dvds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks