What's new

First (Major) Blu-ray release to have a MAR (2 Viewers)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
We knew it was bound to happen sooner or later. Sure there have been a few minor catalog titles such as Gulliver's Travels (1939) to have their aspect ratio modified to fill the screen, but on April 8th Fox will release The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader modified to fit your TV screen. The original theatrical aspect ratio was 2.35:1 and the Blu-ray is 1.78:1. Most of us saw that in the press release but just assumed (as usual) that it was a misprint. Reports on the internet are now confirming that the Blu-ray is indeed 1.78:1. I was first alerted to in in this post (with screencaps): http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/306710/chronicles-of-narnia-the-voyage-of-the-dawn-treader-quick-review/30#post_3795650

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Can anyone comment on what the Theatrical aspect ratio was in Digital 3D? Given that this was shot on HDCAM SR, I would not be surprised in the least if this was the A/R in 3D and that we would be looking at an Avatar-type situation which would actually be the first major studio release in an MAR format.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
It was 2.35:1 in the digital 3D (Dolby's version) theater I saw it in and internet movie database only lists one aspect ratio for it.
Also I don't consider Avatar to be MAR'd because it was released theatrically in 2 different aspect ratios.

Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H

Can anyone comment on what the Theatrical aspect ratio was in Digital 3D? Given that this was shot on HDCAM SR, I would not be surprised in the least if this was the A/R in 3D and that we would be looking at an Avatar-type situation which would actually be the first major studio release in an MAR format.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The big question is what Apted approves. He may very well want the home video release to be 1.78:1 rather than the theatrical 2.35:1. It wouldn't be an unprecedented move.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

The big question is what Apted approves. He may very well want the home video release to be 1.78:1 rather than the theatrical 2.35:1. It wouldn't be an unprecedented move.

not unprecendented, but i think that it takes away from the film, for them to change the aspect ratio, 2:35:1 was more inline with the disney presentations of the first two films

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Voyage of the Dawn Treader used HDTV cameras instead of Super 35mm like the first two films. It is possible the effects were rendered in 1.78 before matting, however I doubt it.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Seems to be the exact same deal as Avatar. Review states no side cropping only additional information on the top and bottom.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Chronicles-of-Narnia-The-Voyage-of-the-Dawn-Treader-Blu-ray/19648/#Review

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

Seems to be the exact same deal as Avatar. Review states no side cropping only additional information on the top and bottom.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Chronicles-of-Narnia-The-Voyage-of-the-Dawn-Treader-Blu-ray/19648/#Review

If that's so, then I'll put up with it, since we're actually seeing more, but I would like to know if the films' director and producers are okay with this.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley

If that's so, then I'll put up with it, since we're actually seeing more, but I would like to know if the films' director and producers are okay with this.

I would also like to know for sure, but the fact that they would have done all the special effects in preparation for opening up the image suggests they are.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Well the only screenshot comparison I've seen so far is the one linked to at the beginning of this thread and it is definitely side-cropped. I need to see some real evidence that this is an AVATAR situation where there is no cropping but an opening up of the frame and then I'll be happy again.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
As others have stated, this is a little different than Avatar, as it was shown theatrically in both ratios, but Dawn Treader was apparently shown exclusively at 2.35:1 in theaters. As for the effects being rendered for 1.78:1, that actually still happens a lot on big effects films in anticipation of television airings, but it doesn't mean that's the ratio that the filmmakers prefer. Does anyone know if this is happening with Gulliver's Travels, which I believe was also 2.35:1? If not, maybe it is a filmmaker decision. It would still be nice to hear something official, though.

Also, as I side note, I didn't realize this was shot on HDSR tapes. I dunno; if I had $150 million to make a major fantasy film, I think I'd shoot on something a little higher-res than 1080p. At least get a Red or something.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Bryan Tuck

Also, as I side note, I didn't realize this was shot on HDSR tapes. I dunno; if I had $150 million to make a major fantasy film, I think I'd shoot on something a little higher-res than 1080p. At least get a Red or something.
It was pretty obvious even from the trailers that they'd made the switch. 3D + Super 35 go together like hot oil and water.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I saw FRIDAY THE 13TH PART III projected in 3-D/35mm a couple years and it looked fantastic with brilliant 3-D. There's no reason 3-D and 35mm can't work together. I mean, IMAX does great 3-D and they're using 15-perf 65mm film.

Vincent

Originally Posted by Lord Dalek

/forum/thread/310193/first-major-blu-ray-release-to-have-a-mar#post_3796799

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I just saw the commercial for the blu ray and it is showing oar not the full screen version being released.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Vincent_P

I saw FRIDAY THE 13TH PART III projected in 3-D/35mm a couple years and it looked fantastic with brilliant 3-D. There's no reason 3-D and 35mm can't work together. I mean, IMAX does great 3-D and they're using 15-perf 65mm film.

Vincent

I'm not saying 3D on 35mm is impossible, I'm saying that the grain and focal lengths typically utilized in Super 35mm photography render it highly difficult to make the conversion process successful. Case in point, the most recent Harry Potter which had to abandon 3D because of difficulties presented by Super 35.

Obviously Imax which is 65mm and 15-perf is going to be less of a hassle to execute this than a typical 3-perf 35mm production shot on fast stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks