Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

First (Major) Blu-ray release to have a MAR

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#1 of 65 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,355 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted March 31 2011 - 08:41 AM

We knew it was bound to happen sooner or later. Sure there have been a few minor catalog titles such as Gulliver's Travels (1939) to have their aspect ratio modified to fill the screen, but on April 8th Fox will release The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader modified to fit your TV screen. The original theatrical aspect ratio was 2.35:1 and the Blu-ray is 1.78:1. Most of us saw that in the press release but just assumed (as usual) that it was a misprint. Reports on the internet are now confirming that the Blu-ray is indeed 1.78:1. I was first alerted to in in this post (with screencaps):  http://www.hometheat...30#post_3795650

#2 of 65 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,053 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted March 31 2011 - 09:34 AM

Can anyone comment on what the Theatrical aspect ratio was in Digital 3D? Given that this was shot on HDCAM SR, I would not be surprised in the  least if this was the A/R in 3D and that we would be looking at an Avatar-type situation which would actually be the first major studio release in an MAR format.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#3 of 65 ONLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,937 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 31 2011 - 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mark-P 

We knew it was bound to happen sooner or later. Sure there have been a few minor catalog titles such as Gulliver's Travels (1939) to have their aspect ratio modified to fill the screen, but on April 8th Fox will release The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader modified to fit your TV screen. The original theatrical aspect ratio was 2.35:1 and the Blu-ray is 1.78:1. Most of us saw that in the press release but just assumed (as usual) that it was a misprint. Reports on the internet are now confirming that the Blu-ray is indeed 1.78:1. I was first alerted to in in this post (with screencaps):  http://www.hometheat...30#post_3795650

Questions? call 1-888-223-4369 or visit www.foxconnect.com, think we need to do this as much as possible to get a correct aspect ratio disc

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#4 of 65 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,355 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted March 31 2011 - 09:39 AM

It was 2.35:1 in the digital 3D (Dolby's version) theater I saw it in and internet movie database only lists one aspect ratio for it.
Also I don't consider Avatar to be MAR'd because it was released theatrically in 2 different aspect ratios.

Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H 

Can anyone comment on what the Theatrical aspect ratio was in Digital 3D? Given that this was shot on HDCAM SR, I would not be surprised in the  least if this was the A/R in 3D and that we would be looking at an Avatar-type situation which would actually be the first major studio release in an MAR format.

#5 of 65 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 31 2011 - 10:03 AM

The big question is what Apted approves. He may very well want the home video release to be 1.78:1 rather than the theatrical 2.35:1. It wouldn't be an unprecedented move.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#6 of 65 ONLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,937 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 31 2011 - 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 

The big question is what Apted approves. He may very well want the home video release to be 1.78:1 rather than the theatrical 2.35:1. It wouldn't be an unprecedented move.

not unprecendented, but i think that it takes away from the film, for them to change the aspect ratio, 2:35:1 was more inline with the disney presentations of the first two films

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#7 of 65 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,156 posts

Posted April 01 2011 - 09:40 AM

Voyage of the Dawn Treader used HDTV cameras instead of Super 35mm like the first two films. It is possible the effects were rendered in 1.78 before matting, however I doubt it.

#8 of 65 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts

Posted April 01 2011 - 09:31 PM

Seems to be the exact same deal as Avatar. Review states no side cropping only additional information on the top and bottom.

http://www.blu-ray.c...y/19648/#Review

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#9 of 65 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,391 posts

Posted April 01 2011 - 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 

Seems to be the exact same deal as Avatar. Review states no side cropping only additional information on the top and bottom.

http://www.blu-ray.c...y/19648/#Review

If that's so, then I'll put up with it, since we're actually seeing more, but I would like to know if the films' director and producers are okay with this.

#10 of 65 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts

Posted April 02 2011 - 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ethan Riley 

If that's so, then I'll put up with it, since we're actually seeing more, but I would like to know if the films' director and producers are okay with this.

I would also like to know for sure, but the fact that they would have done all the special effects in preparation for opening up the image suggests they are.

#11 of 65 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,355 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted April 02 2011 - 08:11 AM

Well the only screenshot comparison I've seen so far is the one linked to at the beginning of this thread and it is definitely side-cropped. I need to see some real evidence that this is an AVATAR situation where there is no cropping but an opening up of the frame and then I'll be happy again.

#12 of 65 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,355 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted April 02 2011 - 08:24 AM

Okay, here is a single example of an uncropped opening-up of the frame (scroll down to the bottom):

http://www.blu-ray.c...48/#Screenshots

Hopefully someone with the Blu-ray will do a more extensive comparison from different shots from the trailer to see if the whole movie is not cropped or just a few select scenes.

#13 of 65 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted April 02 2011 - 11:51 AM

As others have stated, this is a little different than Avatar, as it was shown theatrically in both ratios, but Dawn Treader was apparently shown exclusively at 2.35:1 in theaters. As for the effects being rendered for 1.78:1, that actually still happens a lot on big effects films in anticipation of television airings, but it doesn't mean that's the ratio that the filmmakers prefer. Does anyone know if this is happening with Gulliver's Travels, which I believe was also 2.35:1? If not, maybe it is a filmmaker decision. It would still be nice to hear something official, though.

Also, as I side note, I didn't realize this was shot on HDSR tapes. I dunno; if I had $150 million to make a major fantasy film, I think I'd shoot on something a little higher-res than 1080p. At least get a Red or something.

"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#14 of 65 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts

Posted April 02 2011 - 05:16 PM

Someone with the disc needs to listen to the commentary to see if Apted says anything regarding the presentation.

#15 of 65 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,156 posts

Posted April 03 2011 - 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Bryan Tuck 

Also, as I side note, I didn't realize this was shot on HDSR tapes. I dunno; if I had $150 million to make a major fantasy film, I think I'd shoot on something a little higher-res than 1080p. At least get a Red or something.

It was pretty obvious even from the trailers that they'd made the switch. 3D + Super 35 go together like hot oil and water.

#16 of 65 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,053 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted April 03 2011 - 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Lord Dalek 

It was pretty obvious even from the trailers that they'd made the switch. 3D + Super 35 go together like hot oil and water.

No, it would just look more like an early 80s 3D movie. Posted Image

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#17 of 65 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,156 posts

Posted April 03 2011 - 08:16 AM

My point exactly.

#18 of 65 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,745 posts

Posted April 06 2011 - 10:22 AM

I saw FRIDAY THE 13TH PART III projected in 3-D/35mm a couple years and it looked fantastic with brilliant 3-D.  There's no reason 3-D and 35mm can't work together.  I mean, IMAX does great 3-D and they're using 15-perf 65mm film.

Vincent

Originally Posted by Lord Dalek 

My point exactly.

#19 of 65 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,203 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted April 06 2011 - 03:11 PM

I just saw the commercial for the blu ray and it is showing oar not the full screen version being released.
facebook.com/whotony

#20 of 65 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,156 posts

Posted April 06 2011 - 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Vincent_P 

I saw FRIDAY THE 13TH PART III projected in 3-D/35mm a couple years and it looked fantastic with brilliant 3-D.  There's no reason 3-D and 35mm can't work together.  I mean, IMAX does great 3-D and they're using 15-perf 65mm film.

Vincent

I'm not saying 3D on 35mm is impossible, I'm saying that the grain and focal lengths typically utilized in Super 35mm photography render it highly difficult to make the conversion process successful. Case in point, the most recent Harry Potter which had to abandon 3D because of difficulties presented by Super 35.

Obviously Imax which is 65mm and 15-perf is going to be less of a hassle to execute this than a typical 3-perf 35mm production shot on fast stock.