-

Photo
- - - - -

BD Live - anyone else wish this would go away?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted March 31 2011 - 04:59 AM

Who else wishes the studios would just abandon this "feature" and go back to putting extras on the discs? I have bought a number of BRs that advertise BDLive only to discover that the content is "no longer available" on every single one of them. If you aren't going to keep the content available, it doesn't exist, so just put it on the discs so I can view it at my leisure.

#2 of 33 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,164 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 31 2011 - 05:23 AM

Yikes!  I know we've all imagined that that could happen over time, but what are some examples of content actually being taken off line?

To answer the question:  YES.  I haven't yet, and don't ever plan to, use BD Live.  My player will only ever go the Internet for firmware updates.

#3 of 33 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,797 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 31 2011 - 05:27 AM

What titles have had discontinued features? And what were the features?

How many titles have BD-Live content beyond filmographies or other useless junk?

#4 of 33 Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 455 posts

Posted March 31 2011 - 05:39 AM

I was never excited at the offerings of BD-Live to begin with and now learning that the content could expire over time (and so soon) makes it even less attractive. I agree with eliminating it altogether and providing extras in the traditional format.

#5 of 33 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted March 31 2011 - 05:56 AM

Starship Troopers is one off the top of my head, but I know there are several more that I have tried with no success. I have no idea what the content was as I never got to see it.

#6 of 33 Marvin

Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,449 posts

Posted March 31 2011 - 07:41 AM

I've never seen the point of BD-Live (aside from a new Divx-like attempt to introduce pay-per-view) and I have no interest in (or any idea how to) connect my player to the internet. I don't see why all extras aren't included on the discs.

#7 of 33 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,144 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 31 2011 - 07:58 AM

BD-Live is the marketing department's idea for extra advertisment revenue. Nothing more, nothing less.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#8 of 33 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted March 31 2011 - 12:43 PM

I've never used it todate. Seems more of a waste of my time more than anything else. Of course, I don't watch any extras, at all.

You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#9 of 33 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,867 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 31 2011 - 01:31 PM

The only benefit I have seen from it, is in the way of disc registration  

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#10 of 33 Mike_G

Mike_G

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted March 31 2011 - 02:07 PM

I haven't played with BD-Live much, but I did come across the fan-made trivia from the Star Trek II BD. It was fun, I created a trivia section myself using my PC. It's a cute little endeavor, but like a lot of people I haven't invested much into BD-Live.

#11 of 33 poddie

poddie

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted March 31 2011 - 05:14 PM

Worst abuse of BD-Live yet that I've seen is the Fantasia set from Disney.  ALL the great documentaries from the DVD set are ONLY available via BD-Live in a small window.  This is just a complete travesty as far as I'm concerned.  I want material to keep, not to wonder how long it will last.  Just crap.

I wish to hell BD-Live didn't exist.

#12 of 33 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted March 31 2011 - 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by TravisR 

What titles have had discontinued features? And what were the features?

How many titles have BD-Live content beyond filmographies or other useless junk?

The Star Trek TOS season sets have quite a bit of BD Live content, and they update it now and then with footage from conventions and I think they update the "Red Shirt Diaries" now and then also. A lot of it is simply stuff that wasn't ready in time to make it onto the disc, or happened after the disc was released.

Of course I don't know of any other BD live content that is that active, but the Star Trek sets seem to show the best way to use the feature.

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#13 of 33 Paul_Warren

Paul_Warren

Second Unit

• 389 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted March 31 2011 - 08:55 PM

Definately as it stops many discs from playing properly even when your constantly connected to the Internet due to Java issues. They should have made it optional not mandatory I can see many films not playing properly in future because of this!

We all know its really another layer of DRM anyway to ensure only valid discs function properly.........

#14 of 33 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,797 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 01 2011 - 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas Monce 

The Star Trek TOS season sets have quite a bit of BD Live content, and they update it now and then with footage from conventions and I think they update the "Red Shirt Diaries" now and then also. A lot of it is simply stuff that wasn't ready in time to make it onto the disc, or happened after the disc was released.

Of course I don't know of any other BD live content that is that active, but the Star Trek sets seem to show the best way to use the feature.

Doug

So Star Trek and Fantasia are two examples of real content and I'm assuming that the content is still available. I think all content should be on the disc and I couldn't care less if BD-Live was never used on another disc but it's not like this is a widespread problem.

#15 of 33 Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 873 posts

Posted April 01 2011 - 09:28 AM

I never bothered with any BD-Live stuff.  First, I never -- NEVER -- hook my player to the internet.  I download firmware updates when necessary, and it hasn't been necessary for a long time.  Second, I have no interest in "interacting" with my movies or television series. I turn on the TV and watch. Third, I figure that if it's not important enough to put on the disk, it probably isn't very good and I've got better uses for my time than to watch schlock. As for commentaries, after hearing several and finding only one (on Remington Steele) that didn't bore me silly with free-associating BS, I no longer bother with commentaries. I let the film speak for itself. It speaks much better, and is certainly more interesting. Still, other folks like them, so I'd keep them around. As for BD-Live, it should go the way of 8-track tapes and CED Disks as something that looked good on paper but never really worked.

#16 of 33 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,368 posts

Posted April 01 2011 - 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rick Thompson 

I never bothered with any BD-Live stuff.  First, I never -- NEVER -- hook my player to the internet.  I download firmware updates when necessary, and it hasn't been necessary for a long time.  Second, I have no interest in "interacting" with my movies or television series. I turn on the TV and watch. Third, I figure that if it's not important enough to put on the disk, it probably isn't very good and I've got better uses for my time than to watch schlock. As for commentaries, after hearing several and finding only one (on Remington Steele) that didn't bore me silly with free-associating BS, I no longer bother with commentaries. I let the film speak for itself. It speaks much better, and is certainly more interesting. Still, other folks like them, so I'd keep them around. As for BD-Live, it should go the way of 8-track tapes and CED Disks as something that looked good on paper but never really worked.

If I want to look at junk online, I don't have to hook into my bluray player; I can simply log on to my computer. I think it all came about because bluray producers feared that consumers wouldn't be interested in their films unless they were "interactive." What ... utter ... nonsense.

#17 of 33 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,496 posts

Posted April 01 2011 - 10:31 PM

So does anybody like BD-live?  It's amazing that the studios' desire for it is so much at odds with what people want (or don't want).

#18 of 33 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,368 posts

Posted April 01 2011 - 11:29 PM

The dumbest thing I ever saw was that feature where you could create a chat room available on screen while you're watching the movie...and therefore could chat with your friends about the movie while you're watching it. I thought are you effing kidding me? What kind of nutbag would want to do that??

#19 of 33 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,164 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted April 02 2011 - 01:24 AM

I've been thinking that whatever audience or target demographic there is for BD Live, for the most part it isn't going to be made up of the folks reading and posting here.  Maybe kids by the freakin' millions are happily "interacting" with their TV and their movies.  And how we would know this?

Are the studios and manufacturers monitoring the level of BD Live activity, and responding accordingly?  Or is it, right now anyway, just being thrown out there in the hope that it will catch on?  My fervent hope, of course, would be that it's a big fat flop, but that no one's ready to admit it.

#20 of 33 David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 842 posts

Posted April 02 2011 - 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ethan Riley 

The dumbest thing I ever saw was that feature where you could create a chat room available on screen while you're watching the movie...and therefore could chat with your friends about the movie while you're watching it. I thought are you effing kidding me? What kind of nutbag would want to do that??

Agreed.  And wouldn't it be 100 times more efficient to either just simply call them or text them if you did want to do that?

It's the old "solution in search of a problem".