What's new

WHV Announcement: Superman: The Motion Picture Anthology (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Disc #1 · Superman: The Movie, Original Theatrical · Commentary by Ilya Salkind and Pierre Spengler (Original Theatrical Version) · The Making of Superman: The Movie [1978 TV special] · Superman and the Mole-Men [1951 feature] · Warner Bros. Cartoons Super-Rabbit [1943 WB cartoon] Snafuperman [1944 WB cartoon] Stupor Duck [1956 WB cartoon] · Trailers Disc #2 · Superman: The Movie, Expanded Edition · Commentary by Richard Donner and Tom Mankiewicz (Extended Version) · Taking Flight: The Development of Superman · Making Superman: Filming the Legend · The Magic Behind the Cape · Screen Tests Superman Lois Lane with Optional Commentary Ursa · A Selection of Restored Scenes · Additional Music Cues Main Titles Alternate Main Titles The Council’s Decision The Krypton Quake More Mugger/Introducing Otis Air Force One Can You Read My Mind (Pop Version) · Music Only Track (Donner Cut) Disc #3 · Superman II, Original Theatrical · Commentary by Ilya Salkind and Pierre Spengler (Original Theatrical Version) · The Making of Superman II [1980 TV special] · Deleted Scene · First Flight: The Fleischer Superman Series · Fleischer Studios’ Superman Superman The Mechanical Monsters Billion Dollar Limited The Arctic Giant The Bulleteers The Magnetic Telescope Electric Earthquake Volcano Terror on the Midway · Theatrical Trailer Disc #4 · Superman II - The Richard Donner Cut · Commentary by Richard Donner and Tom Mankiewicz (Donner Cut) · Introduction by Richard Donner · Superman II: Restoring the Vision · Deleted Scenes · Famous Studios’ Superman Japoteurs Showdown Eleventh Hour Destruction, Inc The Mummy Strikes Jungle Drums The Underground World Secret Agent Disc #5 · Superman III Theatrical Version · Commentary by Iilya Salkind and Pierre Spengler · The Making of Superman III (1983 TV Special) · Deleted Scenes · Theatrical Trailer Disc #6 · Superman IV The Quest For Peace Theatrical Version · Commentary by Mark Rosenthal · Superman 50th Anniversary Special (1988 TV Special) · Deleted Scenes · Theatrical Trailer Disc #7 · Superman Returns · Requiem for Krypton: Making Superman Returns Pt. 1 Secret Origins and First Issues: Crystallizing Superman Pt. 2 The Crystal Method: Designing Superman Pt. 3 An Affinity for Beachfront Property: Shooting Superman- Superman on the Farm Pt. 4 An Affinity for Beachfront Property: Shooting Superman- Superman in the City Pt. 5 An Affinity for Beachfront Property: Shooting Superman- Superman in Peril Pt. 6 The Joy of Lex: Menacing Superman Pt. 7 He’s Always Around: Wrapping Superman · Resurrecting Jor-El · Deleted Scenes including the never-before-seen original opening to Superman Returns · Bryan Singer’s Journals – Video production journals · Trailers Disc #8 Additional Bonus Material · Look, Up in the Sky! The Amazing Story of Superman [Hi-Def] · You Will Believe: The Cinematic Saga of Superman Pt. 1- Origin Pt. 2- Vision Pt. 3- Ascent Pt. 4- Crisis Pt. 5- Redemption · The Science of Superman [Hi-Def] · The Mythology of Superman · The Heart of a Hero: A Tribute to Christopher Reeve · The Adventures of Superpup [1958 TV pilot]

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
so it looks like the Fleischer cartoons won't be in HD after all. Next to seeing the first film get a remaster or at least a new 8K scan and max out a Bd 50 (which also isn't happening), HD versions of the Fleischers were what I was expecting/hoping for. I'm sure others will find a lot to like with this set though.

Jodyboydandy

Auditioning
Real Name
Jody Dandy
Deleted Scenes including the never-before-seen original opening to Superman Returns

I'm looking forward to seeing this special feature.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
It looks like this set includes everything from the 2006's 14-disc "Ultimate Collector's Edition" DVD box set. That's great news! It's always bothered me that, after doing such a great job with Superman on DVD, Warner only released a few mediocre Blu-rays, without even the original versions of the first two films.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
A few thoughts...

Sounds like a cool set! I was just talking about the Superman Returns opening with a friend a few days ago. (I pray to the WB gods: please let the A/V quality be up to par.)

I know this will NEVER happen but the deleted scenes from Superman IV (the ones that are on the DVD) are tracked with odd-sounding temp music but the full-length score for the film was discovered and released a few years ago (Superman: The Music from Film Score Monthly) and it'd be pretty cool if the deleted scenes were tracked with the music that was supposed to be heard during them.

Speaking of deleted scenes, aren't there still plenty of deleted scenes from the first film that have never been seen (or were only seen on TV in the early 80s)?

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
No details on the audio for 1978's Superman listed yet. I trust we will get the original 2 channel surround sound option in lossless and not just the 5.1 remix. The remix is fine for the 2001 cut of the film. :)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I won't be needing this. I've been replacing DVDs in the Ultimate Edition set with Blu's I picked up on sale over the years so I actually already own the "Ultimate" set. I like the packaging for the 2006 set better anyway.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Would be nice if WB offers some sort of rebate for those who already bought S:TM, SII Donner Cut and SR.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Originally Posted by Luisito34

I won't be needing this. I've been replacing DVDs in the Ultimate Edition set with Blu's I picked up on sale over the years so I actually already own the "Ultimate" set. I like the packaging for the 2006 set better anyway.

Most of the content here is new to Blu-ray, including the theatrical versions of the first two movies, and the third and fourth ones entirely.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Jeff Robertson

No details on the audio for 1978's Superman listed yet. I trust we will get the original 2 channel surround sound option in lossless and not just the 5.1 remix. The remix is fine for the 2001 cut of the film. :)

Well the thing is the 70mm mix of Superman is true 5.1. I don't know why they just remaster that since it would sound better than the 2.0.

I am so excited! I never got around to picking up the tin so this will be heaven! I remember the making-of documentaries from 1978 and 1980. They are fascinating. This sounds very complete!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't even know what I have in my collection anymore.

Can't remember if Superman and Superman II: The Donner Cut

was released to Blu-ray and HD-DVD or just Blu-ray. I know I

have them on one of the formats.

In any event, the first two movies are the only ones of interest

to me. I really hate to pick up this set for the remaining films

which I will never watch again in my lifetime (they were horrid).

However, the extras seem like it may be worth the purchase

and hopefully Amazon will have this set down to a $80 or less

pricepoint.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
I wouldn't mind that either. The 5.1 mix that exists today uses new sounds effect, however, so the only way to get the original sound is with the 2 channel track.

Originally Posted by Lord Dalek

Well the thing is the 70mm mix of Superman is true 5.1. I don't know why they just remaster that since it would sound better than the 2.0.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
The Extended Edition of Superman, and the Donner Cut of Superman II have already been released on Blu-ray, as has Superman Returns.

The theatrical versions of Superman & Superman II have not, nor have Superman III & Superman IV.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott

so it looks like the Fleischer cartoons won't be in HD after all. Next to seeing the first film get a remaster or at least a new 8K scan and max out a Bd 50 (which also isn't happening), HD versions of the Fleischers were what I was expecting/hoping for. I'm sure others will find a lot to like with this set though.

and to me that is an issue, they should have been in HD, another thing that is not mentioned is that Returns was released in 3D so where is that mentioned in this anouncement? yes it wasnt great 3D actualy kind of headache inducing at times.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

Can't remember if Superman and Superman II: The Donner Cut

was released to Blu-ray and HD-DVD or just Blu-ray. I know I

have them on one of the formats.

They were released on both. I have Superman and Superman II: The Donner Cut on HD DVD.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by dana martin

... another thing that is not mentioned is that Returns was released in 3D so where is that mentioned in this anouncement? yes it wasnt great 3D actualy kind of headache inducing at times.

Not only was it bad 3D, it was one of those films where only certain sequences were in 3D. I remember having to keep putting on and taking off our 3D glasses while watching this (you were actually prompted on screen).

Overall, the 3D aspect of this picture was horrendous and is best forgotten. IMHO it's no loss at all that it's not in the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks