What's new

USHE Announcement: Brazil (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Promotion: Brazil Blu-ray Release Headline Date: TBA
Release Date: 7/12/2011 BRAZIL Product Source: Theatrical
Theatrical Studio: Universal
Theatrical Release: 12/13/1985 Synopsis: Jonathan Pryce (Pirates of the Caribbean), Robert De Niro (The Godfather) and Michael Palin (Monty Python and the Holy Grail) star in this landmark cult classic that dazzles and thrills with its Academy Award® nominated, groundbreaking art direction and sharply satirical original screenplay. In a future world, a government clerk finds his life destroyed when he tries to correct an administrative error that caused a massive chain reaction of mistaken identity. Despite his efforts, he finds himself an enemy of the state. Hailed as a modern masterpiece, visionary director Terry Gilliam’s (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas) pitch-black comedy takes a highly imaginative and chilling look at a “perfect” future where technology reigns supreme and bureaucracy overrules love for the sake of efficiency. Blu-ray Widescreen (62115281) : Disc 1 (Side A)
Format: Blu-ray UPC: 0-2519-20729-7-0 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: 1 Street Date: 7/12/2011 PreOrder Date: Run Time (HH:MM): 2 Hours 12 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: BD-50 (Single Sided) Packaging: Snap Case Layers: Single Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
French European DTS 2.0 Surround
Subtitles: Spanish
French
English SDH
Edition: - Picture: Widescreen Version: - Color/B&W COLOR Rating: R CARA Rating: - Bonus Features: • BD-Live
• Pocket BLU App
• My Scenes
DVD Widescreen (62020168) : Disc 1 (Side A)
Format: DVD UPC: 0-2519-20168-2-0 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: - Street Date: 1/9/2007 PreOrder Date: 12/5/2006 Run Time (HH:MM): 2 Hours 11 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: DVD-5 (Single Sided) Packaging: Snap Case Layers: Single Audio: English Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH
Spanish
French
Edition: - Picture: Widescreen Version: - Color/B&W COLOR Rating: R CARA Rating: - Bonus Features: • Production Notes
• Cast and Filmmakers
• Theatrical Trailer

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
I was kinda hoping that Criterion would be re-releasing their package for this title on Blu. Oh well.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
From another forum:

Per a personal email to a criterionforum.org member:

"We do hope to re-release [Brazil] on Blu-ray in 2011 or 2012 but don't have an exact date set, so please stay tuned!"

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
In the other thread on the subject, someone claimed that Criterion did say they would be releasing Brazil on Blu-ray. If so, I presume it will be the director's cut, whereas this version appears to be the theatrical version, based on the running time listed (which seems kind of odd, since Universal's DVD release was the director's cut, not the theatrical version). So, if Criterion does indeed have the director's cut up their sleeves for a future release, I'm glad that the theatrical version is being made available, too.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I'm also kind of happy that this seems to be the US theatrical cut. That version was also approved by Gilliam, so there's definitely value in having it available.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
After the Spartacus fiasco who's going to trust NBC, I mean Universal, to do this properly? I'll wait for the Criterion edition.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I can wait.

Since no one else has mentioned it yet, I'll flaunt my ignorance and ask: Is that cover art brand new, or just new to me?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

I can wait.

Since no one else has mentioned it yet, I'll flaunt my ignorance and ask: Is that cover art brand new, or just new to me?

Its the original poster art. Except with a ghastly new logo that I hope is temporary.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That is the cover art provided by Universal as of this morning.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I agree that the artwork should be the original logo.

Does anyone else wish companies would ditch the BDLive crap and just put the extras on disc? Every title I have with this feature has already expired making it useless.

Will see how pricing is before deciding whether this is worth a purchase. A Criterion release would be better, but I'm hesitant about buying yet another one of their pricey releases after buying this on both LD and DVD already.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
So it looks like we are getting the 132 minute cut (which at least is better than the Love Conquers All cut) but not the 142 minute director's cut?

If this is cheap (I've seen a trend of catalog titles coming out at sub $15) I may buy it as a holdover until the hoped-for Criterion version is released.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Originally Posted by cafink

In the other thread on the subject, someone claimed that Criterion did say they would be releasing Brazil on Blu-ray. If so, I presume it will be the director's cut, whereas this version appears to be the theatrical version, based on the running time listed (which seems kind of odd, since Universal's DVD release was the director's cut, not the theatrical version). So, if Criterion does indeed have the director's cut up their sleeves for a future release, I'm glad that the theatrical version is being made available, too.

What I was going to say. I regretting selling my VHS of that... one of the very first VHS tapes I bought back in the 80s (the other was The Shining). I'm always put off a little by the closing credits on the DVD version. I got used to what was on that tape and what I'd seen on cable.

Anyway, bought. And...a criterion version will be b ought as well.

Great news here. Now...a redo of Time Bandits. Please.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Universal is without a doubt the WORST in blu-ray. I love the film "Spartacus", but cannot bring myself to watch my copy of the rotten stinking mess of DNR lunacy they called a blu-ray release. My only hope is that Criterion will eventually do it RIGHT. Won't hold my breath about (or probably buy) this "Brazil", which probably features the same DNR crapola along with annoying clicking menu prompts and every other simply bad idea a studio can throw at a classic film. I wish Warners, Paramount, or even poor broke MGM (whose new blu-rays are really pretty good) would just buy the Universal library and do us all a big favor.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Ed Lachmann

Universal is without a doubt the WORST in blu-ray. I love the film "Spartacus", but cannot bring myself to watch my copy of the rotten stinking mess of DNR lunacy they called a blu-ray release. My only hope is that Criterion will eventually do it RIGHT. Won't hold my breath about (or probably buy) this "Brazil", which probably features the same DNR crapola along with annoying clicking menu prompts and every other simply bad idea a studio can throw at a classic film. I wish Warners, Paramount, or even poor broke MGM (whose new blu-rays are really pretty good) would just buy the Universal library and do us all a big favor.

Everyone points at Spartacus and slams Universal, yet no one ever mentions how great Psycho looks on Blu. Universal has room for overall improvement, but it's not as though they never succeed.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Maybe I am still too hopping mad about my beloved "Spartacus", but this was the blu-ray I was waiting for, and all I got was a big rotten mess. If Universal ever wants to get me back, I wish they'd put out another "Spartacus" or, better yet. lease it to Criterion, who has respect for a classic film. Poor "Spartacus" was treated more like a Justin Beiber concert film in its concept and execution. And, as for "Brazil", I do so hope they lay off the grain reduction software.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I don't think anyone here is unaware of or would deny Universal's stellar work on PSYCHO and other titles. The topic of the thread was intended to draw attention to the fact that Criterion has come out with (so far two) wonderful editions of Universal titles that Universal itself has mucked up. I am simply hoping that Criterion will indeed release their own editions of BRAZIL and SPARTACUS once the Universal editions have seen their peak sales decline.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Truthfully, I slightly prefer the 132-min. cut to the director's cut--probably because it's what I was exposed to first. I even like the bit with the cloud background that the studio asked Gilliam to add. Though of course if and when Criterion ports its release, I'm all over it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I would only add the longest cut to my set. The first dvd had the time listed as the theatrical length but it was really the longer cut. Maybe this one has the same mistake.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Jefferson Morris

Truthfully, I slightly prefer the 132-min. cut to the director's cut--probably because it's what I was exposed to first. I even like the bit with the cloud background that the studio asked Gilliam to add. Though of course if and when Criterion ports its release, I'm all over it.

The opening with the clouds is also in Gilliam's 142 minutes director's cut.

I might have bought this Blu-ray if the quality was good, but now that Criterion will release it, I'll wait for that one. I really hope Criterion gets the chance to do a Spartacus Blu-ray as well.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
The old VHS I had has the closing that goes into clouds. I liked that better than the pulling away from the final moments the DVD does.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks