What's new

would now be a good time for Fox to re-do Lost In Space DVD's? (1 Viewer)

DVD S.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Sarff
Hi,
I was just wondering if anybody has any thoughts about
this:
20th Century Fox needs to put out a 2nd DVD(& 1st to Blu-ray?)
edition of the CLASSIC series Lost In Space....RESTORED this time!!
The original release's sets(..particularly, the color 2nd & 3rd
season ones) are a disgrace and look about as good as a
'good' bootleg copy of any other show.
I was trying to watch episodes from the 3rd(..and it is the worst
looking of them), recently and they look so crappy...you don't
even want to dare watch one of those after watching an episode
of one of the other Irwin Allen series that have all been restored &
released by now.
If enough people show interest in this(..like the VOYAGE thread's
record number of attention and interest), maybe we will see results
from Fox?
I would love to see this come about as this earlier edition does not
come close to doing the series justice and pales next to the later
releases of the other I.A. series...
c'mon & THANKS Fox(...you have proved that you can do better)!
Any thoughts, comments....?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Given that the series is already on DVD, and watchable if one can overlook small edits and one-inch transfers, I just don't believe, given the current state of the DVD TV market, that FOX would consider it a viable risk. It would involve remastering virtually all but six or seven episodes, and I just don't think the market or the audience is there to support the expense. Sadly, what we have is probably what we're gonna have for the foreseeable future, especially when you consider other contemporary series that aren't even finished yet but that are stalled.

Most people just do not find the third season picture quality bad enough to warrant a redo. Sadly, those that do are in a minority (me being one).

If someone has a more positive argument, I'd love to hear it, because I would buy a remastered set in a heartbeat.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by Carabimero
Given that the series is already on DVD, and watchable if one can overlook small edits and one-inch transfers, I just don't believe, given the current state of the DVD TV market, that FOX would consider it a viable risk. It would involve remastering virtually all but six or seven episodes, and I just don't think the market or the audience is there to support the expense. Sadly, what we have is probably what we're gonna have for the foreseeable future, especially when you consider other contemporary series that aren't even finished yet but that are stalled.

Most people just do not find the third season picture quality bad enough to warrant a redo. Sadly, those that do are in a minority (me being one).

If someone has a more positive argument, I'd love to hear it, because I would buy a remastered set in a heartbeat.
It's one of Fox's best classic tv assets, a cult favorite, and very likely will be remastered for bluray at some point.

DVD S.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Sarff
Thank you Carabimero and Ethan for your replies.
I see your views on the subject and what you say
does makes sense(....with the exception of Carabimero
saying that "It would involve remastering virtually all but
six or seven episodes", they all need remastering/
restoration).
It is important to note that the 2nd season also
suffers from a poor transfer(..all seasons were taken
from video tapes that were used for Columbia House
subscription services), and is also in negligible condition,
the quality is just not there!
I am sure you would agree that It isn't right that these
other shows look so beautiful and this one looks...
so horrible(,,sigh).
The question(..I guess is), how many people would buy
a new edition(..or double-dip).
It(..this particular show), doesn't seem to be a very high
profile entity these days, maybe a new, restored, improved
version would change that?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Actually there are 6 or 7 episodes that were mastered in HD from season one, from a while back; they simply dropped the ball in transferring them to SD, because it was easier to use the one-inch master for all of it.

And I have no doubt that several people would buy a newly remastered complete set. But it seems The Powers believe, and so do I, that the number is not enough to justify the expense. The profit margins on this show were not great to begin with, even when the market wasn't saturated with watchable DVDs. And the show is losing fans every year through the attrition of age.

Just because the show deserves better treatment doesn't make it financially feasible, no matter how badly hardcore fans want it and deserve it.

That disc-based media is slowly going bye-bye doesn't help matters.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Does Mr. Finn of FOX -- who did us such a great service in completing VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA -- still read these threads?

If so, I would definitely buy a remastered LOST IN SPACE! Either on Blu-Ray, or SD upgraded to the fine standards of VOYAGE!

Since getting an HD TV, LOST IN SPACE looks awful! Especially the 3rd Season... my favorite!

I'd be pleased if even just Season 3 was re-released! It's so hard to watch now, with an HD TV!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Carabimero said:
Actually there are 6 or 7 episodes that were mastered in HD from season one, from a while back; they simply dropped the ball in transferring them to SD, because it was easier to use the one-inch master for all of it.

And I have no doubt that several people would buy a newly remastered complete set. But it seems The Powers believe, and so do I, that the number is not enough to justify the expense. The profit margins on this show were not great to begin with, even when the market wasn't saturated with watchable DVDs. And the show is losing fans every year through the attrition of age.

Just because the show deserves better treatment doesn't make it financially feasible, no matter how badly hardcore fans want it and deserve it.

That disc-based media is slowly going bye-bye doesn't help matters.
Woe, Nellie!

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
Hey I would definitely buy a restored LIS set in a heartbeat, no matter what the cost. It's one of my favorite shows and I'm not getting any younger. The market is NOW, once us "oldsters" are gone, I'm betting the newer generations won't be interested in the old classics like Irwin Allen (too bad for them) (and where is 12 O'Clock High?).

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Joe Kelly
Hey I would definitely buy a restored LIS set in a heartbeat, no matter what the cost. It's one of my favorite shows and I'm not getting any younger. The market is NOW, once us "oldsters" are gone, I'm betting the newer generations won't be interested in the old classics like Irwin Allen (too bad for them) (and where is 12 O'Clock High?).
I think the Irwin Allen shows are definitely a case of "you had to be there". I don't think that anyone first coming upon those shows now would have the same enthusiasm for them as those of us who grew up on them. As for 12 O'Clock High, it has been beautifully remastered and is running that way currently on ME-TV.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
It's sad, but I wouldn't rebuy it. I really like the first season but the color seasons are so hit and miss with my pathetic older self. :*( The stories enthralled me all the way into my late teens, but now they are tedious. Every 5 or episodes in Season 3 I'm enjoying but the rest are hard to watch. I really hate that. I am glad I own it but there is so much other sci-fi I now own and enjoy better (Blakes 7 for one) and others I've yet to buy and want (Battlestar Galactic old and new) that throwing $$$ at LIS again is not going to happen. I would like to replace my DVD of the movie for a bluray though. :)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Radioman970
It's sad, but I wouldn't rebuy it. I really like the first season but the color seasons are so hit and miss with my pathetic older self.
James, I'm in the same boat. I'd probably double-dip on a nice, remastered 1st Season release. But I'd skip the other two seasons. Like you, I find myself unable to really enjoy most of the episodes in the color years. I've always wondered how much better that show would have been had they kept Dr. Smith's character like he was at the beginning and stuck to more semi-serious plots.

Gary "this show really stood out to me as a kid, but only the first season appeals to me at this point in my life" O.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Color and Irwin Allen didn't seem to be a good combination. First seasons of Voyage and LIS are both pretty good. Once they went to color, they became more and more cartoonish and Time Tunnel and Giants were pretty much that way the whole time.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
It's sad, but I wouldn't rebuy it. I really like the first season but the color seasons are so hit and miss with my pathetic older self. :*( The stories enthralled me all the way into my late teens, but now they are tedious. Every 5 or episodes in Season 3 I'm enjoying but the rest are hard to watch. I really hate that. I am glad I own it but there is so much other sci-fi I now own and enjoy better (Blakes 7 for one) and others I've yet to buy and want (Battlestar Galactic old and new) that throwing $$$ at LIS again is not going to happen. I would like to replace my DVD of the movie for a bluray though. :)
Best Buy had the Bluray movie on sale for 14.99 a couple of weeks ago, I think. I bought one, and it is great. Check and see if that deal is still available.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Originally Posted by Gary OS
Quote:
James, I'm in the same boat. I'd probably double-dip on a nice, remastered 1st Season release. But I'd skip the other two seasons. Like you, I find myself unable to really enjoy most of the episodes in the color years. I've always wondered how much better that show would have been had they kept Dr. Smith's character like he was at the beginning and stuck to more semi-serious plots.

Gary "this show really stood out to me as a kid, but only the first season appeals to me at this point in my life" O.
Well said! He was wonderfully nasty. They kept that for the movie and it is better for it. I quite like it when he sometimes pulls Will over as a shield for himself during tense moments. Even though you get the impression he doesn't want anything to happen to Will...he wants nothing to happen to himself a bit more. heh heh! And the stories...I slap myself in the head so many times... There should be a much potential for drinking games...like each time a space pirate or space biker appears in an episode...

One thing that didn't help me with LIS was when I picked up a bunch of British sci-fi like Blakes 7. Add UFO and lots of Dr. Who and LIS is just smothered underneath all that superior stuff. Neal, isn't B&W LIS kind of like Twilight Zone and old Trek? But color is more like Jason of Star Command. Cheesy and sometimes fun but often tedious.

Thanks Richard. I didn't even know it was out yet. I've got to go through Season 3 vol 2 so this is a good motivator to get that done. Then I'll order me a bluray. I've always felt I was in the minority who thought the film was flawed but still pretty good. Improvements: redo 3rd act, ditch the cgi in favor of something Jim Henson. :D A reboot could be interesting...series of adventures/films with the Robinsons would be great.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
A reboot could be interesting...series of adventures/films with the Robinsons would be great.

Interesting you mention that. I saw an unsold pilot for a LIS reboot, different cast, etc. It had some potential, but alas, was not picked up. Ditto for The Time Tunnel, I think that unsold pilot is on one of the season series, perhaps on Vol 2.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Radioman970 said:
/forum/thread/310175/would-now-be-a-good-time-for-fox-to-re-do-lost-in-space-dvd-s#post_3795919
Quote:

I'm with you guys on S1 of LIS. It's still very enjoyable and I re-watch it on occasion. Dr. Smith was wonderfully evil in those and the plots... very well done. However, I've not watched S2 & S3 since the first time through. I never could get into Dr. Smith turning into a sniveling coward. While I enjoyed them well enough and am glad I own them, I don't like them enough for regular revisits.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I remember hearing about that proposed new LIS series. Could have been interesting. You never know what the future will bring. I mean, they're rebooting the American Godzilla! I believe there's a new Munsters series on the way. Lost in Space has a good chance for a reboot movie or TV series. I miss adventure shows like these. Every once in a while a Hercules/Xena, Firefly or something shows up. Although, I've never seen Firefly I think it applies.

Hey Bob. Yeah, S1 is great. Some of my favs: the one with the underused Penny discovering a voice in a cave, the one where Will is whisked back home. Both very Twilight Zone-ish. Saddly, even a old favorite like when the robot grows big and they go inside (which I was knocked out by in younger times) doesn't have the 20% of the same impact. But there's some real winners in season 1. I even loved the pilot movie that had no robot or Dr. Smith. They really threw everything and the kitchen sink in that and it showed.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
At this stage, it would probably be better to restore the show for blu-ray. The first season would benefit from better shadow detail and sharpness, and the colors on season 2 would be practically blinding.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I am watching the show now after I picked up the series for 80 bucks from B&B plus discount on season 1 from Market Place. I also picked up Giants from Overstock.
Looks ok to me. I cannot write much a mercy for all of you LIS fans. I find the show drawing me in. I started with season 2 and will begin 3 tonight. Fun show to watch. I thought i saw a model of the J2 in the cave that the Mummy from Voyage and Rock Men danced around. Good show to watch between reading Seabiscuit and pain pills

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Mark Collins said:
I am watching the show now after I picked up the series for 80 bucks from B&B plus discount on season 1 from Market Place. I also picked up Giants from Overstock.
Looks ok to me. I cannot write much a mercy for all of you LIS fans. I find the show drawing me in. I started with season 2 and will begin 3 tonight. Fun show to watch. I thought i saw a model of the J2 in the cave that the Mummy from Voyage and Rock Men danced around. Good show to watch between reading Seabiscuit and pain pills
See, boys and girls? Mark has confirmed one thing: Lost In Space is way better when viewed on drugs!! Just think--the show went off the air in 1968--halfway between the Summer of Love and Woodstock! You know what those writers were doing behind the scenes! Just check out that talking carrot, dude! Whoa, trippy-dippy! Far Out Space Nuts can't be "far" behind!
Honestly, I loved the shit out of Lost in Space when I was eight, but oh yeah--it's easy to see why it went off the air. It wasn't actually cancelled, you know... It O.D.'d!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks