-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official "LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING" Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3026 replies to this topic

#1 of 3027 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,324 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 17 2001 - 06:07 PM

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" should be posted to this thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#2 of 3027 BrianShort

BrianShort

Supporting Actor

• 934 posts

Posted December 17 2001 - 06:28 PM

Well to start this new thread off, Salon.com has an absolutely gushing review of the film... they call it the Film of the Year. The New Yorker also liked it, though with more reservations Posted Image

#3 of 3027 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,324 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 17 2001 - 06:29 PM

Since what little exposure I have to "Lord of the Rings" has been due to my fellow moderators Rob and Dan, I'll be at the midnight showing tonight and will post my review afterwards.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#4 of 3027 Bill Harris

Bill Harris

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted December 17 2001 - 06:47 PM

The screening i saw tonight had some loud gasps when the movie ended. i guess when people who havent read the books want more after 2 1/2 hours..it must be good Posted Image. i still seeing it making tons of coin , but something is telling me it might not have potter like numbers. which is a shame. oh..have i said how good the goldmember trailer is... Posted Image

#5 of 3027 Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted December 17 2001 - 07:50 PM

This fantastic opening paragraph from a review on Salon.com

Quote:
The most heartbreaking thing about faithful moviegoing is that awe, beauty and excitement, three of the things we go to the movies for, are the very things we're cheated of the most. The great wonder of "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" is that it bathes us in all three, to the point where we remember -- in a vague, pleasurably hallucinatory sensation from another lifetime -- why we go to the movies in the first place. It would be an insult to say the picture merely lives up to its hype; it crashes the meaning of hype, exposing it as the graven image it is. Advertising is dead: Long live moviemaking.

27 hours to go...
No longer here.

#6 of 3027 Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted December 17 2001 - 07:56 PM

Ok! I hate you all. I can’t see it on Wednesday. I have to see it on Thursday! :P)

#7 of 3027 Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter

• 1,442 posts

Posted December 17 2001 - 08:03 PM

My review of the film is up, and from what you can tell, I absolutely loved it. It's going to be a memorable film for years to come, and is truly deservent of "epic" status.

I saw this through a staff invite at my local theater, and was provided with lots of free food and drinks before the screening. It wasn't a real presentation-oriented screening mind you; one of the managers didn't get the whole print made up in time so we had to break at about the 80 minute point (at the end of a reel). I could have finished this for her (building a print is easy) but was too busy visiting with my friends.

Certainly an interesting way to see one of the most anticipated films of the fall, but there you go. Posted Image

Buy National Treasure on DVD today..."The best movie I saw on Saturday night from 7pm to 9:30. The DTS track is freakin' awesome!" --Multiplex Drone

#8 of 3027 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,974 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted December 18 2001 - 12:40 AM

This post is a simple desire to get in at the ground floorPosted Image As for reviews, the words I keep hearing over and over are: immersive, enchanting, magical, and epic. And we are hearing it from all the unusual places - as stated above.

Even the "negative" reviews are positive with certain concerns. I am DRAGGING my fiancee and her brother to the 12:01 AM show, and then dragging myself to work tomorrow. Should be an interesting day. I am very excited! Can't wait to see this thread in 19 hours! CRA-ZEEEE!

Take care,
Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#9 of 3027 Michael Martin

Michael Martin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted December 18 2001 - 01:02 AM

Like Chuck, I'm jumping in early to get a solid footing in the thread.

Something very encouraging about Salon's review is that the reviewer is a woman who hates swords-and-sorcery movies. And she still gives it a glowing review - in fact, calls it the movie of the year.

A bit from her review:

"The Fellowship of the Ring" is soaked around the edges with a melancholy darkness, which is part of what gives it such resonance and depth. (At this point I need to make a special plea to all those cranky souls who have no patience for ren-faire and sword-and-sorcery bullcrap: My brothers and sisters, I feel your pain, but "The Fellowship of the Ring" is too big and too masterly to be scrunched into those puny categories.)

The full review can be found here.

I have tickets for the 2:45 PM showing tomorrow. ACK! Where is the time machine when you really need it!?
"You know, God has some really weird kids, and I find it hard to be in their company most of the time."
--Paul "Bono" Hewson

#10 of 3027 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,465 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted December 18 2001 - 02:27 AM

That Salon review is amazing!! I'm very encouraged to read such glowing reviews from people who are NOT fantasy geeks.

FotR is back up to 96% at Rotten Tomatoes, with 23 positives to 1 negative.

Less than 26 hours to go until tomorrow's 11 AM showing, for which I am ticketed. Since I bought these tix, my local theater added a midnight show. I haven't ruled out that one yet... Posted Image

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#11 of 3027 AdrianJ

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor

• 534 posts

Posted December 18 2001 - 02:45 AM

I'm so happy that I will be seeing the movie at 12:01 am tonight (well technically tomorrow morning!) I can't wait, even though I won't get home until around 4 am after the movie.
Adrian Jones

#12 of 3027 Eric Bass

Eric Bass

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted December 18 2001 - 03:04 AM

I'm in for the longest 14 hours of my life starting right now.

#13 of 3027 Brad_W

Brad_W

Screenwriter

• 1,361 posts

Posted December 18 2001 - 03:14 AM

Who else hates the way the guy in the Burger King commercials says, "Frodo" for the LOTR glasses?? I hate it.

Frooooooooooooooodo.

Posted Image

I will check to see if there is a midnight showing of FOTR tonight, but probably would rather see it tomorrow because of the possible "fewer people" factor.

#14 of 3027 nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted December 18 2001 - 03:18 AM

I still have 32h40m to go. I have to wait for the 8pm showing. None of the people in my group could get off work for an earlier show.

#15 of 3027 Paul W

Paul W

Second Unit

• 468 posts

Posted December 18 2001 - 03:43 AM

Sounds like you need a new group.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

13h15m!
"Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain. This is the reason bald-headed men are uptight." —Danny, Withnail and I

#16 of 3027 BrianShort

BrianShort

Supporting Actor

• 934 posts

Posted December 18 2001 - 04:25 AM

Boy I hope the theater here got the print in... we've had some snow here the past day or so, and are supposed to get more, and visibility has been kind of bad so I think planes are having a hard time getting in. I think it may also cut down on the number of people that might be at tomorrows showing, since we're going to have over a foot by tomorrow, and I'm sure a lot of people dont like driving in that stuff.

BTW FotR is now up to #53 on the IMDB top #250 list with a 9.7 rating and 1477 votes. One of the most recent comments enjoyed watching it, but says it's really not much different from "Dungeons and Dragons" just with possibly better acting and special effects. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Had to LOL at that.

Brian

#17 of 3027 nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted December 18 2001 - 04:48 AM

New group wouldn't help much. My only options were noon, 4pm and 8pm.

I thought about taking a (very) long lunch to see it at the theater a few blocks from my office at noon, but I decided I'd rather see it with my wife and friends.

#18 of 3027 Niko Nykanen

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted December 18 2001 - 05:35 AM

I saw this movie yesterday (18 hours ago) and altough it was too long (ie, it´s gonna get boring a second time) it was pretty good. I gave it 6/10 on imdb, or was it a 7 ???

Sarumans Tower was fantastic!! And the Long Cool Tracking shots!! That´s what I wanna see Again. Not to mention the M A S S I V E battle at the beginning of the Movie!!!

technical:
+ Cinematography - Cool tracking shots and changing camera-angles.
+ Sound - Rumbling BASS, Not too much, but A LOT at the Right Places
+ Sarumans Tower and the Mines. The CGI was good in overall. I only noticed it once. During the
battle in the Mines when the hobbits stand on the trolls back and stab him. And the clip in the trailer where the hobbit ran in between the legs of the Troll.

Lyxdesics of the lowrd untie!

#19 of 3027 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,974 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted December 18 2001 - 05:36 AM

Is it me, or do those Burger King commercials sound like they wish they had secured the rights to HP instead??

They are atrociousPosted Image

I guess the wife and friends are better company than, uhh, usPosted Image

See you in a few,
ChuckPosted Image
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#20 of 3027 Dominik Droscher

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted December 18 2001 - 05:37 AM

4h25m ... having trouble writing ... blank mind ... aaaah ...