Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Ockeghem's All Things DARK SHADOWS (w/Spoilers)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1727 replies to this topic

#21 of 1728 OFFLINE   GeorgeJA

GeorgeJA

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted July 05 2010 - 07:24 AM

Scott, I think I lost interest in "All In The Family" around the same time.  Once the Jeffersons left and Mike & Gloria moved into their old home, I didn't enjoy the show as much. Occasionally, there would be an episode I really like, for example, the one where Archie secretly baptized Joey, but for the most part, I felt the magic was gone. When Mike & Gloria left for good, the show was pretty much over for me.  I'm probably not the only one who thinks that the episode with Mike & Gloria moving to California would have been a fitting series finale.   In the meantime, I'm waiting for DS Disc 3 to arrive.  

#22 of 1728 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted July 05 2010 - 07:22 PM

George,   Yes, that's one of the reasons I lost interest in All In the Family as well.  But now many years later, I may try to catch up on those seasons I missed.  I'm curious about the episodes that I didn't see the first time around.   BTW, tonight we watched a couple of episodes of The X-Files.  In one of them ("Eve"), there are puncture wounds on the neck of a little girl's father who has died.  He has been drained of four liters of blood.  Both the father and the girl live in Greenwich, Connecticut.  Cue Twilight Zone music: Mulder tells Scully that the first evidence for this, which also included livestock (cattle) having been drained of blood, occurred back in ... 1967! :)

#23 of 1728 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted July 06 2010 - 07:06 PM

We watched three episodes tonight (nos. 241-243).  More goodies from Maggie, David, Barnabas, and especially Jason.  The question was popped tonight by Jason, and it was quite the ringer. :)

#24 of 1728 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted July 07 2010 - 07:01 PM

We're up to episode #247 now, having watched nos. 244, 245, and 246 tonight.  Willie, quite reluctantly, is eventually urged by Barnabas to succumb to Dr. Woodard's request for a blood sample.  What Willie doesn't know is that Barnabas has a trick or two up his sleeve.   Jason is putting the pressure on Elizabeth to tie the knot.  She's reluctant at first, and although she calls his bluff a few times, she really has little choice but to adhere to his wishes.  It was nice seeing Mr. Garner again -- although this time, it's purely business with Mrs. Stoddard.  And although Roger knows about the insidious plans of Mr. McGuire, he really is at a loss as to how to thwart them.  What Jason doesn't know, of course, is that Carolynn doesn't have to succumb to his wishes regarding her mother.  As I mentioned quite a few posts back, he underestimates Carolynn, and this will in part lead to his undoing.   As always, it's great to see the Blue Whale any time we can.  Victoria and Burke are getting cozy there, but she is quite nervous about a good many things, not the least of which is the howling of more dogs that one can hear quite vividly over the music.  I do hope that Bob receives some excellent tips for all of the work he does. ;)  

#25 of 1728 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,313 posts

Posted July 07 2010 - 07:35 PM

Mark has to stick his big nose in again.  The 1968 present day Collinwood is one of my favorite storylines.  I enjoyed the videotap reshoot in color of edited storyline from 1967 filmed in the fall of 68.  Great fun to watch.  The reshoot was done again for the very last two episodes in 1796 filmed in Jan 69 and one more in 1796 filmed in Nov 69. I know most DS fans know this.  Just thought I would bring it up. Barnabas Willie and Julia all begin to refer to the 67 storyine in fall of 68 right into Jan 69.   Dennis Patrick was great on Dallas!  He was a suspect in the "Who Shot JR" storyine as we all know.  He came back to Dallas again a year or two later,  I also like Jason's line to Willie in DS that he had oil deals in Texas.    Keep going Guys !!!  I truly look forward to your comments each time I access The Forum.  

#26 of 1728 OFFLINE   GeorgeJA

GeorgeJA

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted July 08 2010 - 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockeghem /forum/thread/244006/dark-shadows-the-beginning/120#post_3707627 BTW, tonight we watched a couple of episodes of The X-Files.  In one of them ("Eve"), there are puncture wounds on the neck of a little girl's father who has died.  He has been drained of four liters of blood.  Both the father and the girl live in Greenwich, Connecticut.  Cue Twilight Zone music: Mulder tells Scully that the first evidence for this, which also included livestock (cattle) having been drained of blood, occurred back in ... 1967! :)
  Coincidence?  I think not!  :-)   It wouldn't surprise me if Chris Carter was a big DS fan.   I finished episodes 231 and 232 last night.  We're certainly getting to know a lot about the effects of vampirism - kudos to Kathryn Leigh Scott for making the most out of her first major role in the show.    More cast changes - a new actor for Dr. Woodard - we've touched on this before, but I still wonder why they kept doing this.   Barnabas' cameo appearance was a nice touch in ep 232.  I know they've done this before with the surprise shadowy figure - but this might have been the best one of all (so far) because this time we know what is the danger.

#27 of 1728 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted July 09 2010 - 07:10 AM

George,

I did wonder that about Chris Carter when watching that particular episode of The X-Files.

Yeah, KLS is quite good in her role, isn't she?  She's come a long way from serving coffee in the early going of the series.  Of course, she will be back there again once this arc is completed.

Dr. Woodard will eventually be replaced again.  You might find this bit interesting, especially if you haven't heard/read this before:

"Robert was the primary actor to play Dr. Dave Woodard on Dark Shadows, and left the show after refusing to cross picket lines to tape during a technician's strike. He was hastily replaced with Peter Turgeon for the character's final episodes. His other daytime drama credits include Another World, Love of Life, The Guiding Light, The Edge of Night and Texas."

http://www.collinwoo...t/gerringer.htm

I frequently find it amusing how Barnabas is so concerned with the disappearance of Maggie.  He even asks about her well-being in his own home while entertaining guests, and she's only but a floor away upstairs in Josette's room!  These kinds of things really add to the tension of the show, though.  And I cannot overestimate the quality of work put forth by John Karlen in this series.

#28 of 1728 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,917 posts

Posted July 09 2010 - 10:17 AM

A few comments:   Regarding the '1967' reshoots- few people knew at the time that at the insistence of Dan Curtis, Grayson Hall wore a fall to "feminize" Dr. Hoffman during her first few months on the show.  After the 1795 storyline ended, Curtis apparently changed his mind and decided that Grayson's own short 'do was just fine, hence Julia's "impulse' haircut in April 1968.  To do the flashbacks of Julia and Maggie in the Collins crypt a few months later, the hairpiece went back on, and voila- the 'old' Julia of 1967 was back.    Peter Turgeon, the final actor to play Dr. Woodard, may be best remembered as the hopelessly obnoxious passenger in the original Airport - I still blame his character's big mouth for causing all the disaster that followed just when it seemed Dean Martin's pilot character had everything under control!  Those of you who've seen the movie will know exactly what I mean.   Well, in a couple of days I will be in Burbank for the Dark Shadows Festival, and it's a big event for me since this is my first West Coast Festival and my first plane ride!      
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#29 of 1728 OFFLINE   GeorgeJA

GeorgeJA

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted July 10 2010 - 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockeghem /forum/thread/244006/dark-shadows-the-beginning/120#post_3708728   Yeah, KLS is quite good in her role, isn't she?  She's come a long way from serving coffee in the early going of the series.  Of course, she will be back there again once this arc is completed.
  She certainly has, and her big line from the earlier days was "Pop, what's wrong?"   Scott, thanks for the info on Robert Gerringer.   Charles, I would love to hear an update on the DS festival (and the plane ride) when you return.   I've gotten to the first appearance of Josette's music box and now the plot thickens (but not the blood).

#30 of 1728 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted July 10 2010 - 05:34 PM

George,   And another interesting line spoken by Maggie (to Victoria) in the early days: "And you're a jerk."   You're probably going to do some good catching up to where I'm at, George.  My family is away visiting our extended family, and they won't be back for two weeks.  I'm under strict orders from our sixteen-year old daughter not to watch any 'new' Dark Shadows episodes until they return.  What this means is that I'll probably go back to the good ol' days of Bill Malloy and Matthew Morgan for a while. ;)

#31 of 1728 OFFLINE   Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted July 11 2010 - 06:31 AM

Just an FYI-  All Dark Shadows DVD sets seem to be 58% off (I believe) at Amazon.  Just saw it yesterday, and plan on buying three more sets for reserve in case I'm cut off from the world for a while- LOL!   The sale is until July 26th, I believe.   Jack

#32 of 1728 OFFLINE   GeorgeJA

GeorgeJA

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted July 20 2010 - 04:41 PM

It looks like I've got a 'short wait' for my Collection 2, Disc 1 - which is really really not good given all the excitement from episode #250.  I should have checked, but I'll bet this was aired on a Friday.  Things are really heating up on the Barnabas/Maggie story as she recovers her memory - she tries to escape - she tries to kill Barnabas - the fireworks have just started.   The previous episode was no slouch either with the secondary story heating up --- we finally get to see what's in the "dreaded" locked room in the basement and the episode ends with the wedding announcement between Liz and Jason - more fireworks to come.   Other notes:    I like how they integrated David into the Barnabas storyline. It makes a lot of sense that if he saw Maggie as Josette, he would think it was the ghost of Josette -  and wow!  She's really talkative now!   I chuckled at the mention of that he-man Dr. Hoffman.   I enjoyed Barnabas' trick regarding Willie's blood test.  He comes across looking like such a swell guy!

#33 of 1728 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted July 21 2010 - 06:38 AM

George,   Wow, you've done some catching up all right!  My next episode to view is #247.   "I like how they integrated David into the Barnabas storyline. It makes a lot of sense that if he saw Maggie as Josette, he would think it was the ghost of Josette -  and wow!  She's really talkative now!"   I also liked how the veil she wore over her face covered up her features just enough so that you really couldn't see who it was descending the staircase.  Of course, Maggie Evans' voice is distinct, but I'll let that slide. ;)  

#34 of 1728 OFFLINE   GeorgeJA

GeorgeJA

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted July 23 2010 - 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockeghem /forum/thread/244006/dark-shadows-the-beginning/120#post_3712088   I also liked how the veil she wore over her face covered up her features just enough so that you really couldn't see who it was descending the staircase.  Of course, Maggie Evans' voice is distinct, but I'll let that slide. ;)
  I hear you Scott, but given that David is so obsessed with Josette and thought he would never see her again, I could believe that he would overlook some discrepancies because he *wanted* to believe Josette came back. The writers do give him a little cover by having him mention that she seemed different.  Now if you replaced David with Vicky in the same situation, that would just be absurd.   One note I wanted to mention about the Jason McGuire story:  viewers at the time must have thought that Liz killed her husband. Of course, I've seen the episodes where Paul Stoddard comes back, so I know she didn't.  I am looking forward to seeing just how Jason conned Liz into believing she had murdered him.

#35 of 1728 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted July 23 2010 - 09:02 AM

George,   Yes, David definitely wanted to believe that Josette had returned.  The power of suggestion may have played a part as well.   Regarding Jason and Elizabeth, it is quite a revelation (to Elizabeth) how and when she discovers the truth.  It's one of those top-notch chilling moments in the series IMO.  And that episode where Paul Stoddard returns is quite interesting.  They keep his face hidden just about the entire time, so you really don't know who is playing Paul Stoddard until you either see it in the credits or look it up.   True to my word, I haven't seen any 'new' episodes.  My daughter is returning Sunday, so it won't be too long before I can watch more from this particular story line of the series.

#36 of 1728 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted July 26 2010 - 09:45 AM

Last night, we completed episodes #247 and #248.  Two more episodes to go before we move on to Dark Shadows: Collection 2.   It's nice how Burke is feeling for Sam and what he's going through at this time.  {Too bad that Mitchell Ryan, a wonderful actor, is only in a few more of the episodes before he is replaced.}  Burke invites Sam to dinner (he offers to pay), and when Sam declines, Burke even goes so far as to bring some food for Sam to the cottage.  (BTW, I half expect Sarah to show up whenever Sam is alone at the cottage.  That time is near, and you can almost feel it when watching Sam working on his paintings.)   That was quite a tense moment or two when Sam visited the Old House to ask Barnabas how he ought to proceed with regard to the portrait.  With Barnabas 'sleeping' downstairs, this left Willie to mind the store.  So Sam comes in, and his daughter is but a matter of feet away from him on the next floor!  You just knew that when Sam and Willie left the house to put the painting in the car, Maggie would descend the staircase.  BTW, I loved the touch of the pipe -- that was very nice.  There are a lot of those elements in the show that really help the various story lines along (e.g., the missing pen, the pipe, the return of Barnabas' cane, the ring, Sarah's doll, and many more).   My daughter commented on how much she loved the dress Maggie (Josette) is wearing at the Old House.  I like it too, and frankly love everything about Josette's room.  It's so out-of-time, and in its own way very magical and eerie.  The portrait, the music box, and the jasmine perfume are items that all have such a special place in the overall story lines.  {I almost wish I could smell the jasmine when watching the series.}  And I for one love the music cue in 5/4 that you hear in almost every episode these days.  I can't say enough good about Robert Cobert's score for this series.   I watched the special features (interview with John Karlen) a couple of times.  He has very fond (and enjoyable) memories of having worked on Dark Shadows.  He had a lot of positive things to say about what it was like to show up for work there, and how the series stretched you as an actor.  In short, he sounded very grateful to have worked with such an excellent cast and to have been a part of the show.

#37 of 1728 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 2,058 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted July 27 2010 - 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Ellis /forum/thread/244006/dark-shadows-the-beginning/90#post_3703396

MPI and Jim Pierson had acclaimed video restorer Kevin Segura use his Live Feed process(which actually restores videotape quality depth to old kinescopes) on the kinescope covering the 'lost' finale from 211.  ...  Hard to believe that an old kinescope can be turned back to original video quality, but it has been done. 

BTW, Kevin Segura also did the same with the kinescopes of Elvis' appearances on Ed Sullivan, and the entire collection of those 1956-57 shows are out on DVD!!

Some more info here:

http://www.americanc...television.com/

Of course, the British have been doing this for several years before Kevin developed his process. Peter Finklestone developed pretty much the same process (but to restore British "kinescopes" (called "telerecordings") to look like the original PAL videotape) called VidFIRE, which was first used on some of the VHS releases of Doctor Who, and is now regularly used to restore all of the old telerecorded DW episodes. It has also been used on episodes of Dad's Army and other productions.

If I remember correctly (I read it on a missing episodes message board), Kevin himself might've said it was VidFIRE that inspired him to try to come up with a similar process that would restore the NTSC video look to American kinescopes. Unfortunately, there are far fewer American TV and/or home video companies who seem interested in restoring the authentic 'live, on-tape' look to kinescoped material.

#38 of 1728 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted July 27 2010 - 05:16 AM

We watched episodes 249 and 250 last night.  The first episode concentrated on Jason convincing Elizabeth to give him the key to the locked room, so that he then could fool Carolynn into thinking that he wasn't hypocritical, among other things.  In the end, Elizabeth takes all concerned down to the room, unlocks it, and shows them around.  If one didn't know this series well, they might think that the camera work was a bit off, seeing as though about six people are in a room, and the camera is pointed downward toward a spot on the floor around which everyone is standing.  It's a neat moment in the episode.  And at the conclusion of 249, we get Elizabeth's surprising announcement, to the chagrin of Roger, Victoria, and especially Carolynn.   Episode #250 was a continuation of the Maggie Evans / Barnabas story line.  There was something I noticed watching this one that was engaging to me.  KLS is playing what amounts to three personas (if not three different characters) in this episode.  She is 1) 'nearly normal' Maggie (meaning the character whose memory is returning gradually every now and then, and who eventually will transform into the person of Josette whenever she hears Josette's music box).  When she is in this daze, she is 2) strongly Josette, the character who is under the spell of Barnabas, and who cannot remember who she is (or whom her her father is).  And then, she is 3) very normal (but decidedly different) Maggie, with a fully restored memory who knows who she is and who her father is, and who has to fake being Josette in order to fool both Barnabas and Willie.  This third role is quite interesting though, because it's neither 'coffee shop' Maggie (sweet and innocent) nor 'real' Josette; rather, it's KLS acting as Maggie Evans acting like a *different* Josette (so as to trick Barnabas and Willie).  It's no wonder that KLS is among my top five actors in this series. :)

#39 of 1728 OFFLINE   GeorgeJA

GeorgeJA

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted July 28 2010 - 03:14 PM

Excellent points, Scott!  I especially enjoyed your point about KLS' acting range in just one episode = #250 - it shows where even in tense moments - we get some great, layered acting.   Currently, I finished #255, and boy is this show running on all cylinders now.  The Maggie / Barnabas / Willie is fascinating, especially with Maggie trying to watch wits with the cunning Barnabas, and Willie being caught up in the middle, wanting to save her but knowing the consequences if he does.   You mention that tense moment with Sam coming to the Old House, but they have already upped the ante - Sam comes back to the Old House and Maggie is forced to listen to his conversation with Barnabas - this scene may not be quite as tense, but I felt it was absolutely heartbreaking. You made a very good point about how DS uses what Alfred Hitchcock called the "MacGuffin" The pipe was a good example of this - and what a tease - I thought Maggie was going to be saved right there.  You mentioned Burke's pen - that was very cleverly written into the Bill Molloy storyline, and you also mentioned 'the ring', which I now saw - one more dashed hope for Maggie (who, at least, shows some resourcefulness).   Sarah showed up at the very end of #255 singing outside of Maggie's prison room.  Now I know who she is, but audiences must have been thinking 'what's going on now?' - very intriguing introduction.   Ok, I have to mention Buzz Hackett - I've heard of this character before, but seeing is believing. I know it's supposed to be serious that Carolyn is ruining her life to spite her mother, but it is kind of funny.  Maybe it's because Buzz seems less like Marlon Brando and more like Eric Von Zipper ;-)

#40 of 1728 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted July 29 2010 - 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJA /forum/thread/244006/dark-shadows-the-beginning/120#post_3714680 Excellent points, Scott!  I especially enjoyed your point about KLS' acting range in just one episode = #250 - it shows where even in tense moments - we get some great, layered acting.   Currently, I finished #255, and boy is this show running on all cylinders now.  The Maggie / Barnabas / Willie is fascinating, especially with Maggie trying to watch wits with the cunning Barnabas, and Willie being caught up in the middle, wanting to save her but knowing the consequences if he does.   You mention that tense moment with Sam coming to the Old House, but they have already upped the ante - Sam comes back to the Old House and Maggie is forced to listen to his conversation with Barnabas - this scene may not be quite as tense, but I felt it was absolutely heartbreaking. You made a very good point about how DS uses what Alfred Hitchcock called the "MacGuffin" The pipe was a good example of this - and what a tease - I thought Maggie was going to be saved right there.  You mentioned Burke's pen - that was very cleverly written into the Bill Molloy storyline, and you also mentioned 'the ring', which I now saw - one more dashed hope for Maggie (who, at least, shows some resourcefulness).   Sarah showed up at the very end of #255 singing outside of Maggie's prison room.  Now I know who she is, but audiences must have been thinking 'what's going on now?' - very intriguing introduction.   Ok, I have to mention Buzz Hackett - I've heard of this character before, but seeing is believing. I know it's supposed to be serious that Carolyn is ruining her life to spite her mother, but it is kind of funny.  Maybe it's because Buzz seems less like Marlon Brando and more like Eric Von Zipper ;-)
  George,   You make some very good points as well.  The 'MacGuffin' works very, very nicely in Dark Shadows.  Hitchcock and F. Truffaut are my two all-time favorite directors, so for me you make a very interesting and valid comparison.   I can't wait for Sarah again.  This particular storyline is (for obvious reasons) quite interesting to my younger children.  When Sarah starts singing her "London Bridge Is Falling Down," I hear this tune around the house for days.... ;)  BTW, one of the very first appearances of Sarah in Maggie's cell (not in the corridor, but in the actual cell) is a kinescope -- very creepy, very dark, and quite mysterious.  It's nearly as eerie as when Julia (as the Countess, when she goes back in time) is reading the Tarot cards for Victoria.   Yeah, Buzz (Michael Hadge) is a hoot.  "Cool it!  Cool it!"  Or, "I ain't got no bread!"  And, how about his response to Elizabeth at 3 a.m.?  "Hiya, Mommy!"  LOL.  I was actually hoping to see him ride his bike up those stairs.  And I agree -- the Buzz episodes are funny.  That's a nice comparison to Eric Von Zipper, too.  I remember him from Beach Blanket Bingo.   Addendum: We're through with episodes 253-255 now.  And we have our first Sarah Collins sighting! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users