Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SPHE Press Release: Das Boot (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,490 posts

Posted March 29 2011 - 05:09 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   WinstonCely

WinstonCely

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted March 29 2011 - 05:27 AM

Awesome!  Can't wait to get my hands on this one.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 589 posts

Posted March 29 2011 - 06:34 AM

I've never seen the 1981 theatrical cut so I'm excited it's finally being included here!  Finally I'll be able to choose between the 2 1/2 hour version, the 3 1/2 hour version or the 5 hour TV version (except I'll have to watch the DVD of that one, should the mood strike)!

#4 of 12 ONLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,876 posts

Posted March 29 2011 - 02:44 PM

Bummed that the 293 minute version isn't included. I guess they don't anticipate this title being enough of a big seller to warrant that kind of treatment.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   taoyue

taoyue

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted March 29 2011 - 07:19 PM

Das Boot is a great example of how editing can drastically change the effect of a film. I actually find the theatrical cut to be superior to the director's cut.  Seeing the TV cut just completely ruined the director's cut for me.  Now, it just feels like a cutdown version of the TV cut, with a number of loose threads and partial storylines.  Whereas the theatrical cut feels like a complete reimagining -- because it's so much shorter that they had to think very carefully about what to include. There's a version of the original theatrical cut with the actors dubbing themselves in English.  Because of the proximity of German to English, this would be quite an interesting effect.  I haven't seen it, though.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,730 posts

Posted March 30 2011 - 05:32 AM

FINALLY!  A film from when Petersen was actually a good director, before Hollywood turned him to s#$%. This is a release day purchase for me.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   WinstonCely

WinstonCely

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted March 30 2011 - 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by taoyue 

There's a version of the original theatrical cut with the actors dubbing themselves in English.

The first time I watch - er - tried to watch the film was on a VHS that only had bad, and I mean really bad English dubbing.  I turned it off about 20 minutes in because it sounded too much like a joke.  I'm 100% positive that it wasn't the one you're talking about because the accents were not the least little bit like German.  I would be interested to see them dub the lines though.  At least they'd sound German.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,187 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted March 30 2011 - 10:23 AM

I've only ever seen "Das Boobs" on SCTV, so I might grab this up even though I'm more curious for the TV cut if that was the directors original intention.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,958 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted March 31 2011 - 03:06 AM

I'm ashamed to admit I've never seen this movie. Does the entire film take place in the submarine?
RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos.

#10 of 12 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,658 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 31 2011 - 04:27 AM

^ Not all of it is set on the sub but most of it is.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,619 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 07 2011 - 12:01 AM

For those interested, Amazon is currently selling this BR release at 17.99 Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Phil Carter

Phil Carter

Second Unit

• 324 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted April 07 2011 - 02:22 AM

Holy smoke, what fantastic news. I was just thinking a couple days ago about how much I would love to see this in high-def; it's on my most wanted list. Looks like I can check another one off!
"I should never have written all of those tank programs."
-- Kevin Flynn, "Tron"
** My DVD / Blu-Ray collection; profile by DVD Profiler **