-

Photo
- - - - -

Setup Questions For A Philips 22PFL4505D/F7 TV

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 Jeff W

Jeff W

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted March 28 2011 - 12:52 AM

Hi,

We just got our second high-def TV, a small Philips 22PFL4505D/F7 to replace an old kitchen TV.  I installed it this weekend and I have a couple of questions/issues.

First, no matter what I try, I can't get the high-def channels from our cable box to fill the screen properly.  I don't know if it's something I'm doing wrong, or if it's just not possible with my set up.  Since this is just a kitchen TV, I don't want to pay for a cable box just for it (we have Time Warner), so I have split the cable out from our living room DVR and routed it into the kitchen.

The TV has about six format settings (Normal, 6x9, Movie Stretch, Zoom, etc).  I've tried them all with no success.  When I use 6x9, which I assume would be the correct choice, I get black bars on all four sides.  The only way I can fill the entire screen is using the movie stretch choice, and this cuts off part of the top and bottom of the picture, and possibly some of the sides (the picture looks OK, but if I pull up the cable guide, etc, it is chopped).

I've also tried changing the various settings on the cable box (Aspect Ratio, Output Resolution, etc), but these seem to have no effect.  I'm wondering if this is because:  a)  I'm running the signal off coax and not through a HDMI or component cable or b)  When I set the TV up, I had it on a raw cable feed, not through the cable box (I can switch the cable source for this TV between the two), and channel 3, which I have to set the TV to for the cable box, is not a high-def channel (does the TV store the aspect ratio of each channel)?

I've also got a Roku on the TV, and channels like Netflix come through fine in the 16x9 format  Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I might try?  I can live with the cropped picture in Movie Stretch as this is only a kitchen TV, but I'd prefer to resolve that if I can.

My second issue is with the picture appearance.  It looks great straight on, and then gradually darkens the more you move to the side, which I expect from a flat screen.  The item I really notice is that if you look at it directly from below (the TV is mounted in a cabinet over our refrigerator), brighter objects still appear fine, but the darker parts of the picture become kind of a ghost image.

Is this normal for an LCD TV?  I don't notice it on our other LCD, but it is mounted over an entertainment center so you can't get directly under it.  Since it is mounted high, I'm going to play with the tilt on the mount to see if tilting it down more improves this.  Outside of that, are there any setting adjustments that I can try to improve this?  Our other TV looked good to me out of the box, so I haven't really messed around with the various settings.

I realize that the picture on this TV will never be perfect from every position in the kitchen - it's just not a typical home theater setting, but I'd like it to be as good as possible.

Thank you very much for your help!