What's new

More Elizabeth Taylor coming...maybe "Raintree" on Blu (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I'm told that 4 more Elizabeth Taylor titles are coming to DVD from Warner Bros...not sure if this means they'll be Archive titles or regular releases. Certainly a nice box set would be welcome.

They're also saying that "Raintree County" is a "maybe" for Blu-ray.

And here's hoping we get "Cleopatra" for Christmas.

It's been amazing seeing all of the outpouring of love for this tremendous, unparalleled star.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Andrew Budgell
They're also saying that "Raintree County" is a "maybe" for Blu-ray.

A MAYBE for Blu-Ray?

If they release it they should do it right or not at all and that should also include a proper Blu-Ray release.

Saw this one in a 35mm Cinemascope print 2 weeks ago and it looked very good - a Blu-Ray version would also look very good and we could see the missing parts of the ultrawide Camera 65 frame for the first time.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Well, hopefully it will happen. I actually just noticed that they deleted the "maybe" comment and replaced it with the comment that 4 titles are coming this Autumn. I hadn't realized that the first comment was deleted because it was a Facebook notification.

Also, I'd love a Blu-ray edition of "National Velvet". I'm sure Rooney and Lansbury would do a commentary. If I remember correctly, NV was one of the first MGM classics released on DVD, and hasn't been updated since. I've been told it's a big seller for WB.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Well, hasn't Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? already been announced on Blu-ray? I think that was for 2012 along with Baby Jane and Camelot, but at least one of her best is in the pipeline.

I'd love to have Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Father of the Bride, and naturally Giant and Raintree County on Blu-ray.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by MattH.

Well, hasn't Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? already been announced on Blu-ray? I think that was for 2012 along with Baby Jane and Camelot, but at least one of her best is in the pipeline.

I'd love to have Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Father of the Bride, and naturally Giant and Raintree County on Blu-ray.

My vote is for Giant and Raintree County. Giant needs a new transfer and needs to be anamorphic. Raintree County just needs to be.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Matt, I hadn't read that "Virginia Woolf" has been announced. I hope it has!

Hopefully we'll see some of the TV films on DVD, too. I know many fans would like that, but lord knows who owns the distribution rights to all of those titles!

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
my vote would be for 'butterfield 8'. it really deserves a good restoration.

i'd be happy with 'raintree county', 'giant', and 'butterfield 8'.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
So many choices so many studios

WB could make some of us very happy but with everything that has been mentioned let me add Father of the Bride/ Father’s Little Dividend Double Feature.

Paramount A Walk In The Sun

Sony The Taming of the Shrew

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
I'll buy Raintree County on Blu-ray for sure. I watched it on TV again last night, sadly in pan & scan. But it was still compelling even in that butchered format.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Raintree County was previously broadcast on HDNet Movies in HD1080i and I recorded a copy using a Panasonic hard drive recorder. The video is very good (480i) up converted to 1080P, but I would buy a BluRay version without hesitation. For now the DVD recording from HDNet will have to do.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
This was posted on the Warner Archive Facebook page yesterday:

[SIZE= 14px]Warner Archive Collection Many here have been pushing for RAINTREE to go Blu...and take full advantage of its MGM CAMERA 65 origins [/SIZE].

[SIZE= 12px]This sounds like positive news, but we will see.[/SIZE]

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
THAT sounds very encouraging!

After having watched Raintree County recently I have come to appreciate it quite a bit. I think I'd rate it at least as high as Cleopatra and as with Cleopatra I will not settle for anything less than a proper Blu-Ray presentation.

Originally Posted by ahollis Many here have been pushing for RAINTREE to go Blu...and take full advantage of its MGM CAMERA 65 origins [/SIZE].[/b]

[SIZE= 12px]This sounds like positive news, but we will see.[/SIZE]

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
I have never managed to see this movie. It's virtually unknown in the UK. Am I right in thinking it was never shown theatrically in its 70mm format?

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
Originally Posted by AdrianTurner

I have never managed to see this movie. It's virtually unknown in the UK. Am I right in thinking it was never shown theatrically in its 70mm format?

Yeah, I beleive it was only show in CinemaScope compatible prints with the aspect ratio reduced to 2.55:1 and with magnetic stereo sound.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I thought I read somewhere that the negative for Raintree was lost or destroyed?

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
ShowsOn said:
I can't find that post. Is it possible they deleted it?
It was a reply to someone's question and is still there. If you have Facebook, show your appreciation that this title actually seems to be coming. Hopefully we'll see "Raintree" from Warner this fall, as well as "Cleopatra" from Fox.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Same here in Germany - not too many people know about Raintree County.

It was never released in 70mm and not even in the wide 2.5:1 AR scope prints that Ben Hur got, just the standard 2.35:1 standard scope aspect ratio of the day.

I was lucky to be able to watch the long version in a scratched but still colorful Technicolor print and was very impressed by the picture quality - this was a very detailed print.

Originally Posted by AdrianTurner

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by ShowsOn Many here have been pushing for RAINTREE to go Blu...and take full advantage of its MGM CAMERA 65 origins. Meanwhile, eventually you'll see LISTEN, DARLING and the Metro SECRET GARDEN from us at some point in the future. We need to remaster both of them before we can release them, so it may be a while....![/i][/b] Friday at 7:35pm ·

On another note, over the past few years, one of the reasons Warner's said they had not released it was they were trying to find the best materials to make a Roadshow transfer. I gather from their comment, they found those elements and with Elizabeth Taylor's passing, this void in her film history has grown larger.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
the digital bits is reporting that warners has announced a 'tcm greatest..' combo pack for elizabeth taylor, the 4 titles being:

cat on a hot tin roof

father of the bride

butterfield 8

the sandpiper

i hope more taylor films will be released this year

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks