Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

3D@Home Consortium claims 100 3D Blu-rays in 2011

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,895 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted March 25 2011 - 05:44 AM

According to this article in Home Media Magazine: http://www.homemedia...e-upswing-23436

Chris Chinnock [president of Insight Media, which oversees the cross-industry 3D@Home Consortium] forecasts that approximately 100 3D Blu-rays will be released in 2011, and estimates more than 200 will be released in 2012. Combine those with an expected 10 3D channels launching this year (25 more in 2012), 100-plus sporting events streaming in 2011 (150-plus in 2012) and 100-plus other 3D events broadcast this year (150-plus in 2012), and 3D in the home has a bright near-term future.

I certainly hope this is the case as lack of content is one of the biggest issues I have as a 3D display owner.  Unfortunately I doubt we will see anywhere that number of titles if current 3D  theatrical releases to home video aren't being released (Dawn Treader, Jackass, etc).  How many releases do you think we will see?

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,474 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 25 2011 - 08:30 AM

As we've discussed in another thread, the studios could help this by releasing some of their vault 3D material.

#3 of 3 ONLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,741 posts

Posted March 26 2011 - 01:45 PM

I have high hopes for more content for the second half of the year. One film I hope to see in 3D on blu is U23D, it wasn't the best use of 3D, but seeing there concert in a movie theater like that was a genuine treat anyway and would be fun to have at home like that alongside all the other concert discs of theirs I have :)
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection