What's new

Home Theater Rearange questions... (1 Viewer)

whyme4000

Grip
Real Name
Joe

Hello All,

I am looking for some assistance with my home theater set up. I have recently re arranged my Den and the picture I am attaching shows how it is set up with my couch and speakers.

I recently purchased a Denon 1911 AV Receiver, and will eventually replace the speakers. At the moment I am using some Yamaha speakers that came in a HTIB set up.

Question one would be, when I use the mic to set the speakers automatically, the manual states they recommend 6 different positions when doing this. Should all these positions be around the main seating area, or should I do it for different areas near "all the seating area" to give decent sound to anyone who might be sitting in those seats. I realize this wont make for the "perfect" listening environment, but wanted to fix it from how it is now, which is my area gets good movie like feel, and everyone else just hears sound.

Secondly, at the moment I am going to be running just a 5.1 system, but since the system can run 7.1, I plan on getting new speakers and setting it up in 7.1. What are the benefits to 7.1 rear surround, vs. high front? Also since my area is rather smaller and if I go with rear surround, the back speakers will be on the wall directly next to our heads (no space between the rear of the couch and wall like some of the sites out there show).

With that being said should the side speakers move further up the wall towards the TV, and would setting it this way actually give me the effect I am looking for.

I hope I have provided enough information; I look forward to the suggestions. This will be the first time I feel I have a "decent" set up for surround sound, and want to get the best possible audio out of it.

Thanks again...

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi n/a (we like real names here :D ) First, check out the Audyssey Guide linked in my signature. It should answer most of your questions for mic placement. Quick answer is you should stay within a few feet of your primary listening position. Never put the mic outside of your main speakers and keep it away from the wall. The use of a tripod or mic boom is highly recommend. I would recommend against 71. with your setup. Unless you have a few feet behind you, 71. does not work well. Plus, there are very few movies with 7.1 soundtracks. Even those that are released probably started out as 5.1. I would consider moving the side surrounds back a bit so the sound is directly pointing at you or just behind you (and keep them slightly above you). Experiment a bit because there is no one 'right' answer. Trial and error sometimes work best. Just for your reference, here is a link from Dolby for proper speaker placement. Also, be very careful using your old HTIB speakers with the new Denon. It is possible that your speakers could damage the Denon if the impedance is too low (or I guess correctly stating it would be too high). Check the Yahama manual to be sure they are at least 4ohm (6 or 8 would be better).

top down

Auditioning
Real Name
Glenn
I agree, the extra rear speakers are not appropriate in your room layout. I have a room layout that supports them and I think the extra two rear speakers were largely a waste of money.

Put your money towards better left, center and right speakers - something with at least a 5.25" driver, preferably larger. If you have the typical plastic enclosure / 3-4" drivers that come with HTIB, it will make a tremendous improvement.

I don't have any experience with the extra front channels, but again, I would spend the cash on better speakers rather than more of them. You will probably want a more serious subwoofer too, and you will want mains with at least a 6.5" driver to blend well with a 10-12" sub.

whyme4000

Grip
Real Name
Joe
Thanks for the replies, and I will fix the name portion :)

I think you may be right on the better speakers, and I am now looking for that but I am not sure what to get at this point.

I have always been a big big fan of the klipsch quintet III but am being told this may be a bad choice since they are satellite speakers, and the room is about 12ft by 18 ft. Of course I will have a power sub, but probably going to use the sub that came with the HTIB and upgrade that later.

Anyone have any other suggestions on speakers if the Klipsch aren't a good choice? I am looking to spend around $500 if possible for the 5 speakers, (could go $600 if needed).

I cannot do floor standing speakers, and they would need to be mounted on the wall so the speakers with rear outputs probably wont work either.

It seems I am down to either satellite or regular bookshelf speakers. I know that a lot of the decision will be based on how they sound to me, but could someone give me a starting point as there are so many different brands and models out there, I am lost.

I will say I have NEVER been impressed with the Yamaha's I have but that could be because they are part of a HTIB.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Everyone will no doubt give you their favorite brands. This may not be your favorite, but I suppose it is at least a good starting place. :D My suggestion would be get 2 good speakers and go without a center for a while. My favorites are the Axiom M22's. Now I've never heard the on walls, so I can't say for sure how they sound, but all the other Axiom speakers I heard had the clarity of Klipsch without the over brightness that can be fatiguing. Later add the VP100 for the center channel. Then save up for a good sub (at least $600). FWIW - I have 7 Axiom speakers and an SVS sub in my HT.

whyme4000

Grip
Real Name
Joe
Looks like those are in wall. Can't go with that as the wife and myself are not interested in making large holes in the wall. Anyone have any other ideas?

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Welcome Joe

Your speaker locations are about as good as you can do with your current furniture arrangement. I would recommend against 7.1 you just don't have the room and you could better spend the money of better 5.1. With a 12' X 18' you will have no problem with satellite systems. I have B&W M-1s in a14 x 22 room that opens in back to a open kitchen of the same size. If you like Klipsch I would listen to them for more than a couple of minutes. The are lively speakers that have a lot of high frequency color. Some folks like that sound while others like myself found them fatiguing to listen to.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Look again, they have both in-wall and on-wall models. I purposely didn't link to a particular speaker because I wanted you to see everything they have to offer.

whyme4000

Grip
Real Name
Joe
Originally Posted by David Willow

Welcome Joe

Your speaker locations are about as good as you can do with your current furniture arrangement. I would recommend against 7.1 you just don't have the room and you could better spend the money of better 5.1. With a 12' X 18' you will have no problem with satellite systems. I have B&W M-1s in a14 x 22 room that opens in back to a open kitchen of the same size. If you like Klipsch I would listen to them for more than a couple of minutes. The are lively speakers that have a lot of high frequency color. Some folks like that sound while others like myself found them fatiguing to listen to.

I looked at the B&W and they look nice, but are way above my budget. I am planing on going to my local best buy here soon to listen to the klipsch again, and will be sure to spend some extra time with them to see...

If I am not happy about them, I saw some Polk speakers a while back that seemed to sound pretty good, not sure if they are worth the money, but what about the Mirage speaker sets? (most specifically this one - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Mirage+-+Nanosat+5.0+Home+Theater+Speaker+System/9015157.p?id=1218008591509&skuId=9015157) Model: NANO BLK 5.

The price for them would be right along what I was thinking, but what are peoples experiences with them? I know I still have to hear them first, but wanted some input.

whyme4000

Grip
Real Name
Joe

Also, be very careful using your old HTIB speakers with the new Denon. It is possible that your speakers could damage the Denon if the impedance is too low (or I guess correctly stating it would be too high). Check the Yahama manual to be sure they are at least 4ohm (6 or 8 would be better).

So I found these specs finally on the speakers I am currently using. I am still going to replace them eventually, but they shouldn't hurt my receiver until I do would they? I am guessing the reason I cant seem to get decent volume out of them is because they are on the lower end.

Speaker(s) 2 x right/left channel speaker - 2-way - external - 30 Watt - 80 - 35000 Hz - 6 Ohm - wired ¦ 1 x center channel speaker - 2-way - external - 30 Watt - 95 - 35000 Hz - 6 Ohm - wired ¦ 2 x right/left rear channel speaker - external - 30 Watt - 120 - 20000 Hz - 6 Ohm - wired ¦ 1 x subwoofer - external - 50 Watt - 28 - 200 Hz - 5 Ohm - wired Driver Details Right/left channel speaker : 1 x woofer driver - 4" ¦ Right/left channel speaker : 1 x tweeter driver - 0.5" ¦ Center channel speaker : 2 x woofer driver - 3" ¦ Center channel speaker : 1 x tweeter driver - 0.5" ¦ Right/left rear channel speaker : 1 x full-range driver - 3" ¦ Subwoofer : 1 x subwoofer driver - 8"

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Assuming your subwoofer is powered, your speakers will not harm the receiver. However, the receiver could do some damage to the speakers. Don't crank it and you should be fine.

whyme4000

Grip
Real Name
Joe

Assuming your subwoofer is powered, your speakers will not harm the receiver. However, the receiver could do some damage to the speakers. Don't crank it and you should be fine.

Yeah the sub is powered, but I am finding out its only 100 watts which could be why the darn thing seems like it isn't there...lol

I actually would be ok with blowing the speakers, it would just mean I would have to move on getting new ones that much quicker :) Now if only I could get an idea of which ones to get.

whyme4000

Grip
Real Name
Joe
Hey guys, not trying to beat a dead horse here, but wanted to ask another question.

I just made it to Best Buy today to listen to some speakers. The problems was they didn't have them set up for a TV/movie set up, so I could only hear music at the moment.

I did not get the chance to listen to the Klipsch which is what I have been looking at, but did listen to the Mirage Nanosats as the rep told me they might work better for my rooms set up and shape. He said the Klipsch were more directional, and the Nanosats were better for a room with multiple odd seating positions.

They sounded pretty good with music, but does anyone have an opinion on them?

I am a little concerned with the center channel being the same type of speaker, because I am reading that placing it on a shelf below the TV is not the best set up for that speaker style, however I saw the Mirage Nanosat Prestige has a more conventional center channel which might fit the bill.

Can anyone comment on these speakers?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Joe, I didn't see if you told us how much you had to spend on the speakers (I may have missed it). I would not recommend BB for speaker shopping. Between the higher prices, lower ends of the lines, and no place to listen, you can do better. Local specialty shops and internet direct are better. For recommendations, no one can tell you what you like. :D

whyme4000

Grip
Real Name
Joe
Yeah, I was not planning on buying from Best Buy, just needed somewhere to listen to options. There really arent any other places in the area that have systems out for display to listen to.

I am looking to spend around $500-$600 on the 5 speakers, and will replace the sub I have in the future.

I know that no one can tell me what to buy, but wanted opinions on the product form either someone who owns it, or has dealt with the company before.

ralphPerez

Stunt Coordinator
Well by now you must have made up your mind on the speakers or already have them but if not look at Energy Classic 5 at Amazon cost of $399 and excellent reviews also CNET.com gave them a excellent also.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks