Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New Book Out On JAWS

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 637 posts

Posted March 24 2011 - 09:38 PM

If your a Jaws fan, there is a new coffee table book coming out called: JAWS:Memories From Martha's Vineyard. Here's the link:http://www.mvremembersjaws.com/buy/. There is a paperback version and a hard cover limited edition. The book is 296 pages and has a 1000 color and b/w pics. The prices are kinda steep though. The paperback is $59.95 and the limited edition is $250.00 which includes a dvd of behind the scenes footage and a 1"x1" piece of fiberglass hull from the Orca II (the sinkable one). I heard the postage is pretty steep too, like $48.00!! I'd love to have at least that paperback version sitting next to my Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back books in my bookcase.

#2 of 7 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 25 2011 - 12:47 AM

oh   my   god

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 637 posts

Posted March 25 2011 - 04:01 AM

Um, are you referring to the price or the book?

#4 of 7 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 25 2011 - 04:10 AM

Both, actually.  I know a couple of people who would be fanatically interested in it, but I know they can't swing the limited edition.  I forwarded the link, though.  Wouldn't mind having it myself, for that matter, especially the LE, but as much as I love the film I can't justify that.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Anthony Neilson

Anthony Neilson

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted July 15 2011 - 04:56 AM

I just received this book recently. I should say that I was a little cynical about the content at first, fearing that it might be just a lot of photos of people on beaches staring at film crews and talking about events at a three-person remove. I was wrong. JAWS: MEMORIES FROM MARTHA'S VINEYARD is one of the great Making Of... books. I'm genuinely staggered by the amount of new (and pertinent) material here, pictorial and otherwise. It's well-written, really beautifully designed and full of content. I did spring for the limited edition and I know not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to afford that. The little bit of the Orca is geekily wonderful, I'll admit, and the dvd with 8 minutes of home-movie footage is brief but spectacular, for Jaws afficionados anyway (we actually see the jet blast of gore going off for the Kintner boy killing!!). But my PSA is this - the book is the real meat here. Don't miss out on this book because you can't afford the bells and whistles version. If you're a JAWS fan and you can possibly afford it, buy the paperback version at least. I know it's expensive but I don't see anyone resenting it when they realise what a quality product it is and how much love's been put into it. I'm not shilling for the publishers, honest! It's just a really terrific book. :)
I've been going to bed early . . .

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,118 posts

Posted July 16 2011 - 04:52 AM

That's a good price for the limited edition version of this book! Posted Image

Thanks for sharing news about this Jaws reference book.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 637 posts

Posted July 16 2011 - 05:32 PM

I got the limited edition as well. That sucker is pretty heavy! I agree on all points Anthony. It's a must have book for any Jaws fan and the most definitive book about the movie. In fact, the author had so much material that he hinted about a possible supplimental book in the future. Whether that happens or not I don't know but I will say it fits nicely next to my Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back Making Of's. I waited sooooo long to see that alternate scene of the attack on Alex Kintner (the one where Bruce attacks the rubber dummy on the raft.)