Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Do I need optical digital audio?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   arnold931

arnold931

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted March 23 2011 - 12:30 PM

I just purchased an Onkyo TX-NR708 receiver.  My cable box and Sony blu ray player both output HDMI.  My Sharp LCD TV has HDMI input.  I intend to run HDMI from the blu ray player to the Onkyo and HDMI from the cable box to the Onkyo.  Then run HDMI from the Onkyo to the TV.  My friend says I should also run optical digital audio from the blu ray player and cable box to the Onkyo for better sound.  Does that sound right?

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,734 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted March 23 2011 - 12:54 PM

Just using the hdmi cable for audio is all you need. It's digital just like optical and coaxial. There are some who believe optical/coaxial is a tiny bit better as hdmi is thought to sometimes have a "jitter" problem but I sure haven't experienced it. And hdmi is required for Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio which are not available through optical/coaxial.

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Doug_H

Doug_H

Supporting Actor

• 588 posts

Posted March 23 2011 - 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by gene c 

Just using the hdmi cable for audio is all you need. It's digital just like optical and coaxial. There are some who believe optical/coaxial is a tiny bit better as hdmi is thought to sometimes have a "jitter" problem but I sure haven't experienced it. And hdmi is required for Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio which are not available through optical/coaxial.

+1 Your friend is a few years behind and you will  want to have the HD audio formats that HDMI allows.

Every child has many wishes. Some include a wallet, two chicks, and a cigar, but that's another story.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   arnold931

arnold931

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted March 23 2011 - 02:16 PM

Wait til I tell him he bought too many cables. Posted Image