Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Onkyo 308 vs Pioneer 520 vs Denon 1311 vs Yamaha 467

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 filo91

filo91

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted March 23 2011 - 07:36 AM

Hi everybody, I'm new in this forum and I'm Italian. Unfortunately I haven't received a great help so I ask you. I need an entry level A/V Receiver, i know that you have more products and lower price in US, but in Italy :( I've restricted the choice between: Onkyo 308 (maybe the better sound) Pioneer 520 (has the autosetting of the room) Denon 1311 Yamaha 467 I need the HD audio format: DTS HD master audio and Dolby True HD. Any advice is good excepted (i thing this sentence is wrong :confused:) Thank you

#2 of 14 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,672 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted March 23 2011 - 11:08 AM

In America the Yamaha 467 is actually a step above the other models you have listed. We also have a 367 over here. Our 467 also includes the YAPO room correction feature but the 367 does not have it.

They are all nice, entry level receivers and all will do Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MasterAudio.

The 308 is a good all around receiver and has a good amp section for the low price.

The 520 is a popular choice but won't have the strongest amp section but it's probably good enough for most users. Lots of features including a simpler version of MCACC room correction and the lowest suggested retail price (over here anyway).

The 1311 isn't available over here but I bet it's simular to the 391. No room correction but Denon is a very reliable and solid performer.

The 467 might be the best choice of the 4 since it's a slightly up-graded model over the others, assuming the price is near the others.

They would all be good choices but I'd lean towards the Denon or Onkyo.

"Any advice is good excepted (i thing this sentence is wrong Posted Image)"

Maybe, but just a little bit. This might be what you were trying to say. "Any good advice is appreciated." Posted Image

Now, if I tried to respond in Italian then that would be really wrong!

P.S I have a 1970 Fiat 124 Spyder Posted Image. What a fun little car. There's still quite a few running around over here. Ciao!

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 14 Gill62

Gill62

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted March 24 2011 - 02:05 AM

Denon sounds great and will have a long life but for the dollars the yamaha is a great choice, they have loads of DSP and power but if you are looking at the 467 it may be worth looking at the 667 and be able to have a second powered zone or 7.1 and a calibration Mic that can identify problems such as phase inversions or damaged drivers.

#4 of 14 filo91

filo91

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted March 24 2011 - 05:15 AM

Thank you very much. First of all, the Fiat 124 (centoventiquattro in letters) is a great car, maybe one of the old time greats of Fiat. In america it was produced as Pininfarina Spideramerica and it has the biggest engine (in italy we still use 1.2 liter straight 4 :rolleyes:, and a 2.0L is a big engine). Obviously we can see the touch of pininfarina. To return on topic: The yamaha 467 in fact is the most expensive of them, but i put into the list because the 367 doesn't have DTS HDma e Dolby True HD. The 667 is to much expensive, 380€, the others are under 260€. Obviously i can't buy it from the usa because you have a different AC network and for this thing, you are almost the only one in the world with 120v. Anyway, since my two front channels are 4ohm i can't choose the pioneer (you said it hadn't the strongest amp section). So remain Onkyo 308 and Denon 1311. I think the 1311 is similar to the 1611, that last one has more feature but the amp section could be the same. In that case what do i have to choose? They have exactly the same price: 240€ shipping included. I have to say this is my first a/v receiver, and i wanna start with an entry level. Maybe in future i'll take i better product. PS: correct me if i had write something wrong.

#5 of 14 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,672 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted March 24 2011 - 11:17 AM

My 124 is a 1970 model with the original 1.4 liter engine. I'd love to stick a 1.8 in it but if I'm dreaming why not a Ferrari 2.4 and call it a poor man's Dino! I think the Fiat Dino was based on the 124.

Back to the topic at hand. I'm not sure I would use any of these receivers with 4 ohm speakers. None of them have an amp capable (or rated) of long term use with 4 ohm speakers. But if you have that Italian "fun while it lasts! Posted Image" attitude towards life then I'd still go with the Denon or Onkyo. Maybe the Denon. My brother has a 1610 and it seems fairly strong for what it is. But you're playing with fire.

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#6 of 14 filo91

filo91

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted March 25 2011 - 04:19 AM

Well, you sure notice that the american engine of that time was certainly more and more powerful, but if you are talking about the ferrari engine is all different, especially for the sound. You american wants alway to put a bigger engine in your car, the power is never enough for you :laugh:, and this is great. For me speaking about vintage car, is better to have the original engine as it was born. Anyway the Dino is special, in fact i'm on the research of one in good condition with an acceptable price. Is not easy to find one. Back on topic: I know what you mean with: "fun while it lasts! " and you are wright! Now the amp is a Pioneer compact hi-fi (two channels) that report 8-16ohm, and it works perfectly (not the sound quality) until 3/4 of the potentiometer, then turns on the protection if the source has a strong sound. I think an a/v receiver for 6-16ohm can do better. Anyway i'll use this amp maybe for 2-3 years, than i really hope to be near to you (i mean in america). So i think i'll choose the Denon 1311. Thank you for the help. when i have it in hands i'll tell you how it sounds.

#7 of 14 filo91

filo91

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted March 22 2012 - 10:43 PM

Hi! I re-opened this topic after I had a problem with my Denon AVR-1311. I'm sorry for not reporting you a review of the amp when I put it into my home theater setup, but I just forgot it. So back to the problem. When you say: "fun while it lasts! " ... well maybe that time was arrived, earlier than i thought. I had a rustle coming from the front speaker, especially the right one. When i tour on the amp, the rigth front speaker make a bang end then starts the rustle. That problem started nearly 2 month ago with a low intensity and without the initial bang, then with the time (i use it about 2/3 hours a day) the intensity increased.

#8 of 14 Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,790 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted March 23 2012 - 01:39 AM

Have you tried swapping the front left and right speakers to see if the problem follows the speaker, or stays with the amp channel?  This would help determine if the problem is with the speaker itself, or with the receiver.

In re-reading your thread, you mentioned that you had low impedance speakers (4 ohm) but never mentioned specifically what speakers they are.  Can you provide us with that info, too?

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#9 of 14 filo91

filo91

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted March 27 2012 - 11:08 PM

I tried all the ways (different wire, different speakers in different room) to determinate that the problem was the amp. The speaker are 3-way in closed box. Are made by myself, with 4ohm car woofer, mid and tweeter and them own crossover. I realized the project calculating the volume and the right dimension with a tool in exel (now i don't remember it). The speaker sounds perfect since 2 years ago. But now i started to think maybe the amp didn't like at all the 4ohm impedance. Anyway, yesterday i sent the amp to the denon center since the warranty is still valid.

#10 of 14 Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,790 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted March 28 2012 - 01:01 AM

It wouldn't surprise me if that were the case.  Using low impedance speakers is a risk for the receiver rather than the speaker itself.

If you're into DIY speaker building, then it seems to me a much cheaper solution would have been to build new speakers (8 ohm models) so that you wouldn't be tied to trying to find a higher-end receiver model to power them.

There are a couple of really big DIYers that hang out in the Speakers forum - if you provide them with a budget and some goals, they are more than happy to find a proven design and help design the enclosure for some new speakers.

In the long run, you'll come out ahead making some better speakers and pairing them with a modest, mid-level receiver.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#11 of 14 filo91

filo91

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted March 28 2012 - 02:11 AM

you're perfectly right! I started the project years ago, when began the interest in the hi-fi and i used the woofer that i had unused at home. Then i realized i wanted a home theater, and i used what i have i just need a cheep receiver. I learned all during the process. Whit hindsight, i would have done different choice, but that's the life. My question is: why the right channel is worse then the left one?

#12 of 14 Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,790 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted March 28 2012 - 04:16 AM

Not sure.  Was the right channel calibrated at a slightly higher level than the others?  I wonder if slight differences in the speaker internals would have an effect on its overall impedance (that's really outside my area of expertise).

Is there a way you can test the actual impedance of the speaker?  It would be interesting to find out why one channel blew and not the others...

#13 of 14 filo91

filo91

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted April 04 2012 - 01:10 AM

how can i test the impedance of the speaker? i have i semple digital tester, but i'm not sure how to measure that.

#14 of 14 filo91

filo91

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted April 04 2012 - 01:25 AM

i measured the impedance with the tester. Right 5,2ohm Left 5,5ohm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users