What's new

ET: 30th Annivesary Blu-Ray? (1 Viewer)

EdReedFan20

Stunt Coordinator
With next year being the 30th Anniversary of E.T., what are the chances that it will receive the blu-ray treatment? While I already have the deluxe 20th Anniversary collection, I would still buy the blu-ray edition if given the chance.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I have no inside info on a pending Blu-ray release, but I was told by studio sources during the format war that it was prepped for HD DVD release, but they decided to hold off until there was more of an installed player base so sales would be better, so I don't think there is anything holding it back except a reason to release it (like an anniversary?)

Seppo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Seppo
Bob O'Neil from Universal Studios said this in the December 2008 edition of American Cinematographer:

"For example, we just finished some work on E.T. at Motion Picture Imaging; we discovered the negative had been torn somewhere along the line, so we scanned those shots, repaired the damage and recorded out new film elements all at 4K."

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I just hope any Blu-ray release includes the original version of the movie, as did the original DVD release. I'm not interested in it otherwise.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
cafink said:
I just hope any Blu-ray release includes the original version of the movie, as did the original DVD release. I'm not interested in it otherwise.
Same here.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
The 35th anniversary of Jaws was missed last year for a BD release. So, I guess that makes it hard to say if E.T. will be released this year.

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
Originally Posted by Todd H

Same here.[/QUOTE]

That's why I'm holding onto the DVD until I'm certain the original cut is included. If it isn't, I'll make do with the DVD.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I assume Spielberg has a say in when this gets released.

And count me as another whose purchase is pending on the inclusion of the original.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Didn't that "revision" of several years back get a bad rap from the general public or mainstream critics as well? Or am I dreaming?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

Didn't that "revision" of several years back get a bad rap from the general public or mainstream critics as well? Or am I dreaming?

Your recollection is correct; it was not well received.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

Quite a bit of it was. Taking out Ted Grossman's shotgun at the end and giving him a walky talky was not.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Seems to me that a 30th anniversary edition of ET on blu-ray is as sure a bet as you are likely to have in the home video world. I would expect that we see it either next summer (the anniversary is June) or for the holidays in 2012.

Of course, 2011 is the 30th anniversary of Raiders of the Lost Ark, and there's been nothing to suggest a release of that film (or films) will happen this year. (In fact, with the scheduled release of another high-profile Lucasfilm property in September, you could say it makes the appearance of Indy on blu-ray less likely. There are only so many deluxe box sets that average fans will buy in a given season.)

EdReedFan20

Stunt Coordinator
I think since the Indy release would be a box set, like you said, I doubt Raiders would get special treatment. I just hope we don't have to wait for Indy 5 (if it's ever made) for the box set. With E.T., since it's a singular movie, it would be much easier to get a special edition out. I just think using the 30th Anniversary would be too much to pass up for Universal. I just hope, they don't make us wait until 2015 for the Jaws 40th Anniversary.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
On a side note, I am so sick of movie anniversaries and the apparent marketing need for them these days. I was wondering when the practice began, or when it really took hold. Not that it much matters.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ It seems to me that the fans are much more worried about anniversaries than most studios. I see alot more posts saying things like "It's the x anniversary of y. I hope there's a Blu-ray this year" over studios putting out a movie because it's an anniversary year.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by TravisR

^ It seems to me that the fans are much more worried about anniversaries than most studios. I see alot more posts saying things like "It's the x anniversary of y. I hope there's a Blu-ray this year" over studios putting out a movie because it's an anniversary year.

It seems that studios won't release some titles unless they can tie it into an anniversary.

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
Originally Posted by MatthewA

It seems that studios won't release some titles unless they can tie it into an anniversary.

Or a remake/sequel. See the delay in getting the rest of the 007 catalogue on Blu.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Well, there's another Bond next year, so here's hoping. And I don't have to wait for an anniversary to see a movie. If you think of it every movie has an anniversary every year. Why do we care if the "anniversary" only ends in 5 or 0?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks