-

Photo
- - - - -

ET: 30th Annivesary Blu-Ray?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 EdReedFan20

EdReedFan20

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted March 22 2011 - 03:34 PM

With next year being the 30th Anniversary of E.T., what are the chances that it will receive the blu-ray treatment? While I already have the deluxe 20th Anniversary collection, I would still buy the blu-ray edition if given the chance.

#2 of 21 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,751 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted March 22 2011 - 06:28 PM

I have no inside info on a pending Blu-ray release, but I was told by studio sources during the format war that it was prepped for HD DVD release, but they decided to hold off until there was more of an installed player base so sales would be better, so I don't think there is anything holding it back except a reason to release it (like an anniversary?)

#3 of 21 Seppo

Seppo

Stunt Coordinator

• 201 posts

Posted March 22 2011 - 09:44 PM

Bob O'Neil from Universal Studios said this in the December 2008 edition of American Cinematographer:

"For example, we just finished some work on E.T. at Motion Picture Imaging; we discovered the negative had been torn somewhere along the line, so we scanned those shots, repaired the damage and recorded out new film elements all at 4K."

#4 of 21 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,034 posts

Posted March 23 2011 - 01:13 AM

I just hope any Blu-ray release includes the original version of the movie, as did the original DVD release.  I'm not interested in it otherwise.

#5 of 21 Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted March 23 2011 - 01:30 AM

I just hope any Blu-ray release includes the original version of the movie, as did the original DVD release.  I'm not interested in it otherwise.

Same here.

#6 of 21 WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,218 posts

Posted March 23 2011 - 03:57 AM

The 35th anniversary of Jaws was missed last year for a BD release. So, I guess that makes it hard to say if E.T. will be released this year.

STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#7 of 21 Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted March 23 2011 - 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Todd H 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafink 

Same here.

That's why I'm holding onto the DVD until I'm certain the original cut is included. If it isn't, I'll make do with the DVD.

#8 of 21 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,177 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted March 23 2011 - 08:04 AM

I assume Spielberg has a say in when this gets released.

And count me as another whose purchase is pending on the inclusion of the original.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#9 of 21 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,165 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 23 2011 - 08:06 AM

Didn't that "revision" of several years back get a bad rap from the general public or mainstream critics as well?  Or am I dreaming?

#10 of 21 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,144 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 23 2011 - 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Chas in CT 

Didn't that "revision" of several years back get a bad rap from the general public or mainstream critics as well?  Or am I dreaming?

Your recollection is correct; it was not well received.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#11 of 21 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted March 23 2011 - 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Chas in CT 

Quite a bit of it was. Taking out Ted Grossman's shotgun at the end and giving him a walky talky was not.

#12 of 21 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,751 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted March 23 2011 - 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by MatthewA 

I assume Spielberg has a say in when this gets released.

And count me as another whose purchase is pending on the inclusion of the original.

While I don't think they need need his "official" permission, it would probably be in their best interests to get it Posted Image

#13 of 21 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,799 posts

Posted March 23 2011 - 11:34 PM

Seems to me that a 30th anniversary edition of ET on blu-ray is as sure a bet as you are likely to have in the home video world. I would expect that we see it either next summer (the anniversary is June) or for the holidays in 2012.

Of course, 2011 is the 30th anniversary of Raiders of the Lost Ark, and there's been nothing to suggest a release of that film (or films) will happen this year. (In fact, with the scheduled release of another high-profile Lucasfilm property in September, you could say it makes the appearance of Indy on blu-ray less likely. There are only so many deluxe box sets that average fans will buy in a given season.)

#14 of 21 EdReedFan20

EdReedFan20

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted March 24 2011 - 07:44 PM

I think since the Indy release would be a box set, like you said, I doubt Raiders would get special treatment. I just hope we don't have to wait for Indy 5 (if it's ever made) for the box set. With E.T., since it's a singular movie, it would be much easier to get a special edition out. I just think using the 30th Anniversary would be too much to pass up for Universal. I just hope, they don't make us wait until 2015 for the Jaws 40th Anniversary.

#15 of 21 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,165 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 25 2011 - 12:13 AM

On a side note, I am so sick of movie anniversaries and the apparent marketing need for them these days.  I was wondering when the practice began, or when it really took hold.  Not that it much matters.

#16 of 21 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,797 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 25 2011 - 01:36 AM

^ It seems to me that the fans are much more worried about anniversaries than most studios. I see alot more posts saying things like "It's the x anniversary of y. I hope there's a Blu-ray this year" over studios putting out a movie because it's an anniversary year.

#17 of 21 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,177 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted March 27 2011 - 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by TravisR 

^ It seems to me that the fans are much more worried about anniversaries than most studios. I see alot more posts saying things like "It's the x anniversary of y. I hope there's a Blu-ray this year" over studios putting out a movie because it's an anniversary year.

It seems that studios won't release some titles unless they can tie it into an anniversary.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#18 of 21 Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted March 27 2011 - 02:03 AM

It seems that studios won't release some titles unless they can tie it into an anniversary.

Or a remake/sequel. See the delay in getting the rest of the 007 catalogue on Blu.

#19 of 21 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,368 posts

Posted March 27 2011 - 03:01 AM

Well, there's another Bond next year, so here's hoping. And I don't have to wait for an anniversary to see a movie. If you think of it every movie has an anniversary every year. Why do we care if the "anniversary" only ends in 5 or 0?

#20 of 21 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,797 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 27 2011 - 03:43 AM

Maybe but it doesn't change that I see alot more fans talking about anniversaries than the studios.

Forum Nav Content I Follow