Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Projector Help! Panasonic PT-L711U

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   jham1496

jham1496

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted March 22 2011 - 10:22 AM

Hello. I am thinking about buying a Panasonic PT-L711U Projector but i have several questions.  The first is that it is an HD projector, yet it has no HDMI or DVI inputs. How it would put up an HD picture without a digital input?  Also, does  anyone have any personal experience and if so is it a projector worth buying.

See the specs here       http://www.projector...ic-PT-L711U.htm

Thanks in advance for your response.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted March 22 2011 - 06:49 PM

PLEASE, do yourself a favor and DON'T BUY that projector. It is from the year 2000, over 10 years old. It is a 4:3 aspect ratio. It has an AWFUL LOW contrast ratio of 300:1. And last but not least, it IS NOT even HD. It will accept an HD signal over the component input, then the projector will scale it down to output it.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,918 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted March 22 2011 - 06:49 PM

Welcome to Home Theater Forum John.  Component and VGA are analog connections that are capable of receiving HD signals.  The Panasonic has VGA and a 15 pin HD D-Sub (which with the right adapter could be used as a component input).

I haven't seen it in action, but a few things to consider: Its a presentation projector, not designed for home theater.  Its only 720P and it doesn't have any digital HD inputs like HDMI or DVI.  I don't what kind of price you are looking at, but you would be a lot better off with a projector designed for home theater and with digital inputs.  For Panasonic projectors their home theater projector models start with PT-AE.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   jham1496

jham1496

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted March 23 2011 - 08:42 AM

Thanks for the replies. Both of you helped a lot!

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,918 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted March 23 2011 - 10:08 AM

No problem.  Please let us know what you end up with.