-

Photo

HTF Contest: Win a copy of How I Won the War on DVD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#1 of 56 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,742 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted March 21 2011 - 05:09 PM

MGM just released How I Won the War (DVD) on 3/20.  We are giving away several copies.  All you have to do to enter is just post in this thread.

(1) Grand Prize = A copy of the film on DVD + Commemorative Book + Poster
(4) Runners Up = A copy of the film on DVD

Winners will be chosen at random on Monday March 28th, must be over 18 and be able to have the prize shipped to an address in the US or Canada.  To enter,  just post in this thread.

John Lennon

Stars in His Theatrical Debut

How I Won the War

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/  http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

World War II Dark Comedy Now Offered from

MGM’s Limited Edition Collection on

Sunday, March 20th

A Limited Edition Commemorative Booklet with Special Introductory Letter from Yoko Ono Is Available With Purchase For A Limited Time

Los Angeles, CA (March 2, 2011) – John Lennon stars in his only non-Beatles theatrical performance in HOW I WON THE WAR available March 20th through MGM’s Limited Edition Collection.  This DVD release debuts on the anniversary of John and Yoko Ono’s highly publicized “Bed-In” protesting the Vietnam War, and John and Yoko’s actual wedding. Under the supervision of director Richard Lester the DVD has been fully remastered. 

Originally released in 1967, the film stars Michael Crawford as inept British WWII commander Lieutenant Earnest Boodbody, with Musketeer Gripweed (John Lennon), Musketeer Juniper (Jack MacGowran), Musketeer Clapper (Roy Kinnear) and Sergeant Transom (Lee Montague) under his command. The film features a hilariously surreal collage of battle footage and one-liners lampooning the absurdity of war. 

“We are excited to bring How I Won the War to DVD for the fans of John Lennon.  We were fortunate enough to have Yoko Ono write an introductory letter for the book giving insight to John’s experience on the film,” said Matt Lasorsa, SVP MGM DVD Marketing.  “The special introductory letter, combined with photos of John from the film, makes this commemorative Booklet a must have for John Lennon fans.” 

For a limited time only the special edition commemorative Booklet will be included with each purchase featuring behind the scenes stills from the film.  The Booklet will be printed using HP MagCloud, a new self-publishing web service invented by HP Labs. 

"HP MagCloud is changing the way ideas, stories and images find their way into peoples' hands and we are excited to see MGM/Fox use this print on demand format to provide John Lennon fans an exclusive glimpse into the filmmaking process," said Andrew Bolwell, director, New Business Initiatives, HP. "Thanks to MagCloud, fans can enjoy high-quality images from the film in a tangible print format."

HOW I WON THE WAR Special Edition will be available on DVD starting March 20 at many of your favorite internet retailers.

How I Won The War - Film Clip - "Artists"

How I Won The War - Film Clip - "Goodbody's Pep Talk"

How I Won The War - Film Clip - "Green Green Green"

How I Won The War - Film Clip - "Gunfire"

#2 of 56 Flashgear

Flashgear

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts
  • LocationAlberta Canada

Posted March 21 2011 - 06:41 PM

I've never seen "How I won the War" but I watched these clips and it looks very entertaining...I appreciate darkly humourous satire of this kind, ala "Dr. Strangelove" and "The Americanization of Emily"...I wish that we eventually see Columbia UK's "The Best of Enemies" (1961) on dvd, a hilarious and satirical David Niven film...I'd love to win this dvd but will gladly pay for it anyway...too bad we didn't see more of John Lennon in feature films.

#3 of 56 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,155 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 22 2011 - 03:17 AM

I've never seen it, either.  Sounds excellent.

#4 of 56 Andrew M

Andrew M

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted March 22 2011 - 05:12 AM

Loking forward to seeing this again.

#5 of 56

• 0 posts

Posted March 22 2011 - 05:34 AM

Watching the clips it looks like a great movie to watch.  I wish they would also have offered it in Blu-Ray for the actual part that was done in film.  I really like the swapping back and forth from the newsreel coverage and the live action.

#6 of 56 Jean Paul Villeneuve

Jean Paul Villeneuve

Second Unit

• 259 posts

Posted March 22 2011 - 05:37 AM

I'm looking forward to it.

Master Trader at HOME THEATER FORUM
Gold Trader at DVD TALK

#7 of 56 gruagach

gruagach

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted March 22 2011 - 05:37 AM

I always thought it was in black & white. From the clips above, it's in colour. So I reckon I haven't seen it.

#8 of 56 Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,088 posts

Posted March 22 2011 - 06:01 AM

Would love to see this -- surprised this wasn't part of the MGM/Criterion licensing agreement.

#9 of 56 howardWB

howardWB

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted March 22 2011 - 08:05 AM

I didn't realize this was being released. Being a Beatles collector, this one's a must have.

Regards,
Howard

aka "Beatle Bob"
:)

#10 of 56 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,487 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted March 22 2011 - 09:20 AM

Please count me in for the contest. I've never seen the movie, but want to. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 of 56 Terry Hickey

Terry Hickey

Second Unit

• 394 posts

Posted March 22 2011 - 10:58 AM

I've only seen bits and pieces of the film.  Look forward to viewing it from start to finish.

#12 of 56 greylocke5

greylocke5

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted March 22 2011 - 11:21 AM

I'm afraid I don't remember this film at all.  But then I was just a teenager in 1967.  It should be a fascinating antiwar comment, especially since it was released in the middle of the Vietnam era.

#13 of 56 JessicaRabbit

JessicaRabbit

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted March 22 2011 - 12:44 PM

The limited version looks good.

#14 of 56 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,085 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 22 2011 - 01:57 PM

ok, Throw me into the mix.
facebook.com/whotony

#15 of 56 JeffMc

JeffMc

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts
  • LocationAntarctica

Posted March 22 2011 - 05:08 PM

Ya, I'd like to see this film again, too.  It's been over 20 years since I last saw it.

#16 of 56 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,720 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted March 23 2011 - 12:48 AM

I'd like to win this, make friends with the one who does or maybe meet Yoko who probably already has a copy of this and we can watch it together.  Well....the former prospect would be better.

Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#17 of 56 ChadB

ChadB

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted March 23 2011 - 11:01 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing the film.

#18 of 56 AllanIsKing

AllanIsKing

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted March 23 2011 - 11:09 PM

My son is a big Beatles fan.  He will love it

#19 of 56 Tim-ex

Tim-ex

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted March 23 2011 - 11:24 PM

I haven't seen this movie, but it looks interesting!

#20 of 56 Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 974 posts

Posted March 24 2011 - 12:11 AM

Haven't seen this one since I was at school.  I remember a school mate enacting Lennon's last scene and us all having a good laugh!