What's new

The Big Country / Quigley Down Under Walmart Exclusives (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
So that another thread wont be hijacked, by this topic, Be it price point or features, the one thing that i has been the discussion in other threads as well the eventual bad coverart, seems that is the plague of blu ray. but in case somone at fox/mgm is looking here is an idea.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I've wanted to see this film for a long time. Looking forward to it...

Good art, btw...

Rio Lobo and Big Jake are listed too for Blu-ray release on May 31 on the Walmart site. More artwork to worry about?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by benbess

Good art, btw...

original poster art modified with mspaint in 5 min.; it shouldnt look like bad photoshop

when i looked, those were the only two listed as exclusives

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
Watching The Big Country on TCM right now and comparing it to the DVD and the version TCM is playing is different from the DVD. Despite comparing a DVD to a SDTV signal its apparent to me that colors look less faded and it seems the TCM broadcast has more image on the top and bottom and the sides compared to the DVD. I assume the version TCM played is the restoration by The Film Foundation and will be what the Blu-ray will be sourced from.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by JoeBond

Watching The Big Country on TCM right now and comparing it to the DVD and the version TCM is playing is different from the DVD. Despite comparing a DVD to a SDTV signal its apparent to me that colors look less faded and it seems the TCM broadcast has more image on the top and bottom and the sides compared to the DVD. I assume the version TCM played is the restoration by The Film Foundation and will be what the Blu-ray will be sourced from.

It's been restored?! Great. Can you tell me a little bit about that. I will definitely blind buy this title then--I like Wyler, Peck, Westerns, and epics...

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I've been told the film went through a restoration and the Blu-ray should look very good.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by JoeBond

Great news. And that's a fascinating site. Thanks for the link. I had heard of them but hadn't seen the site before. Sounds like The Big Country will be a sure buy for me and many others...

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

Thanks I ordered both. Quigley Down Under is my favorite "modern" western

Really. I've never seen it. Can you say why. Is the Magnum PI guy in it. I'm sorry I'm blanking on his name....Someone tried to get me to go to this 20 years ago, but I had a paper to write and said no...Maybe I should see it now.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by MattH.

The Big Country really is one of the greats, and a most atypical role for Charlton Heston.

It has Peck and Heston. Wow. Who else is in this thing?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

It has Peck and Heston. Wow. Who else is in this thing?

Carroll Baker, Jean Simmons, Burl Ives (who won the supporting actor Oscar that year), Charles Bickford, Chuck Connors.

And one of the GREAT western scores of all time.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by MattH.

Carroll Baker, Jean Simmons, Burl Ives (who won the supporting actor Oscar that year), Charles Bickford, Chuck Connors.

And one of the GREAT western scores of all time.

IMHO, The Big Country has THE great western score. And I speak as a western film lover who loves many great western scores. The main title theme is one of the best ever; and Saul Bass' visuals are as great as any he has ever done (Vertigo, Psycho, Spartacus), et al). Several sequences in the film (McKay and Pat being harassed on the road to the ranch; the Major and his men riding out to the Hannesy's while Pat in her frustration rides out on her own, etc) play almost like "music videos". Jerome Moross did not write a lot of film scores; but the few he wrote are gems, and The Big Country is one of the greatest ever.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
By "modern" western I mean filmed date. I would consider Silverado, Quigley, Unforgiven, etc modern westerns....ie something made after the death of John Wayne, or after they stopped cranking out westerns......very arbitrary I know.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

Thanks. Great prices on these. $10 each! What other Westerns are coming out?

The Comancheros (5/17)

The Big Country (5/24)

Quigley Down Under (5/24)

A Man Called Horse (5/31)

Once Upon A Time in the West (5/31)

Rio Lobo (5/31

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks