Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Big Country / Quigley Down Under Walmart Exclusives

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 of 94 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,840 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 21 2011 - 12:32 PM

So that another thread wont be hijacked, by this topic, Be it price point or features, the one thing that i has been the discussion in other threads as well the eventual bad coverart, seems that is the plague of blu ray. but in case somone at fox/mgm is looking here is an idea.

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#2 of 94 benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,818 posts

Posted March 21 2011 - 12:36 PM

I've wanted to see this film for a long time. Looking forward to it...

Good art, btw...

#3 of 94 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted March 21 2011 - 01:06 PM

Rio Lobo and Big Jake are listed too for Blu-ray release on May 31 on the Walmart site.  More artwork to worry about?

#4 of 94 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,840 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 21 2011 - 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by benbess 

Good art, btw...

original poster art modified with mspaint in 5 min.; it shouldnt look like bad photoshop

when i looked, those were the only two listed as exclusives

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#5 of 94 JoeBond

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted April 28 2011 - 11:02 AM

Watching The Big Country on TCM right now and comparing it to the DVD and the version TCM is playing is different from the DVD. Despite comparing a DVD to a SDTV signal its apparent to me that colors look less faded and it seems the TCM broadcast has more image on the top and bottom and the sides compared to the DVD. I assume the version TCM played is the restoration by The Film Foundation and will be what the Blu-ray will be sourced from.

#6 of 94 benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,818 posts

Posted April 28 2011 - 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by JoeBond 

Watching The Big Country on TCM right now and comparing it to the DVD and the version TCM is playing is different from the DVD. Despite comparing a DVD to a SDTV signal its apparent to me that colors look less faded and it seems the TCM broadcast has more image on the top and bottom and the sides compared to the DVD. I assume the version TCM played is the restoration by The Film Foundation and will be what the Blu-ray will be sourced from.

It's been restored?! Great. Can you tell me a little bit about that. I will definitely  blind buy this title then--I like Wyler, Peck, Westerns, and epics...

#7 of 94 JoeBond

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted April 28 2011 - 11:45 AM

It's been restored?! Great. Can you tell me a little bit about that. I will definitely  blind buy this title then--I like Wyler, Peck, Westerns, and epics...

According to The Film Foundation's website it like Once Upon a Time in the West was restored I think a couple years ago and I believe it was screened once but MGM seems to have sit on the new remaster for a while since I believe TCM is the first TV channel to play the movie since that restoration was completed. I fully expect the restoration to be used for the Blu-ray transfer. TCM also showed the new restoration of Once Upon a Time in the West last year too. Here is a link to the Film foundation's website: http://www.film-foun...04&sid=2&ssid=7

#8 of 94 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,423 posts

Posted April 28 2011 - 12:14 PM

I've been told the film went through a restoration and the Blu-ray should look very good.

#9 of 94 benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,818 posts

Posted April 28 2011 - 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by JoeBond 

According to The Film Foundation's website it like Once Upon a Time in the West was restored I think a couple years ago and I believe it was screened once but MGM seems to have sit on the new remaster for a while since I believe TCM is the first TV channel to play the movie since that restoration was completed. I fully expect the restoration to be used for the Blu-ray transfer. TCM also showed the new restoration of Once Upon a Time in the West last year too. Here is a link to the Film foundation's website: http://www.film-foun...04&sid=2&ssid=7

Great news. And that's a fascinating site. Thanks for the link. I had heard of them but hadn't seen the site before. Sounds like The Big Country will be a sure buy for me and many others...

#10 of 94 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,600 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted April 28 2011 - 02:10 PM

Thanks I ordered both.  Quigley Down Under is my favorite "modern" western

#11 of 94 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,600 posts

Posted April 28 2011 - 02:13 PM

Link to order Quigley Down Under

Link to order The Big Country

May is going to be a great month for classic westerns Posted Image

#12 of 94 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,636 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 28 2011 - 02:14 PM

The Big Country really is one of the greats, and a most atypical role for Charlton Heston.

#13 of 94 benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,818 posts

Posted April 28 2011 - 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich 

Really. I've never seen it. Can you say why. Is the Magnum PI guy in it. I'm sorry I'm blanking on his name....Someone tried to get me to go to this 20 years ago, but I had a paper to write and said no...Maybe I should see it now.

#14 of 94 benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,818 posts

Posted April 28 2011 - 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by MattH. 

The Big Country really is one of the greats, and a most atypical role for Charlton Heston.

It has Peck and Heston. Wow. Who else is in this thing?

#15 of 94 benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,818 posts

Posted April 28 2011 - 02:21 PM

Link to order Quigley Down Under

Link to order The Big Country

May is going to be a great month for classic westerns Posted Image

Thanks. Great prices on these. $10 each! What other Westerns are coming out?

#16 of 94 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,636 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 28 2011 - 02:24 PM

It has Peck and Heston. Wow. Who else is in this thing?

Carroll Baker, Jean Simmons, Burl Ives (who won the supporting actor Oscar that year), Charles Bickford, Chuck Connors.

And one of the GREAT western scores of all time.

#17 of 94 Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted April 28 2011 - 02:45 PM

Um, the film is set in the 1880's. How is that "modern"?

Great movie, though. Laura San Giacomo's rack... Posted Image

#18 of 94 David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,421 posts

Posted April 28 2011 - 04:10 PM

Carroll Baker, Jean Simmons, Burl Ives (who won the supporting actor Oscar that year), Charles Bickford, Chuck Connors.

And one of the GREAT western scores of all time.

IMHO, The Big Country has THE great western score. And I speak as a western film lover who loves many great western scores. The main title theme is one of the best ever; and Saul Bass' visuals are as great as any he has ever done (Vertigo, Psycho, Spartacus), et al). Several sequences in the film (McKay and Pat being harassed on the road to the ranch; the Major and his men riding out to the Hannesy's while Pat in her frustration rides out on her own, etc) play almost like "music videos". Jerome Moross did not write a lot of film scores; but the few he wrote are gems, and The Big Country is one of the greatest ever.

#19 of 94 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,600 posts

Posted April 28 2011 - 04:13 PM

By "modern" western I mean filmed date.  I would consider Silverado, Quigley, Unforgiven, etc modern westerns....ie something made after the death of John Wayne, or after they stopped cranking out westerns......very arbitrary I know.  Posted Image

#20 of 94 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,600 posts

Posted April 28 2011 - 04:18 PM

Thanks. Great prices on these. $10 each! What other Westerns are coming out?

The Comancheros (5/17)

The Big Country (5/24)

Quigley Down Under (5/24)

A Man Called Horse (5/31)

Once Upon A Time in the West (5/31)

Rio Lobo (5/31

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users