Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

PHE Press Release: Once Upon A Time In The West (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 of 46 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,332 posts

Posted March 21 2011 - 08:28 AM

Posted Image

DIRECTOR SERGIO LEONE’S MONUMENTAL EPIC DEBUTS ON BLU-RAY

Posted Image

Arriving May 31, 2011, Blu-ray Includes Both a Fully Restored Version and the Original Theatrical Version Along with Over an Hour of Illuminating Special Features

Posted Image

HOLLYWOOD, CALIF. – A motion picture as big as its Monument Valley locations, director Sergio Leone’s glorious and acclaimed Western ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST makes its Blu-ray debut on May 31, 2011 from Paramount Home Entertainment.  Henry Fonda plays the blackest character of his long career, and he's utterly convincing as Frank, the ruthless and murderous psychopath who suffers no conscience pangs after annihilating an entire family at the bidding of a powerful railroad tycoon. Jason Robards is the half-breed falsely accused of the terrible slaughter who embarks on a journey with the young widow left behind to seek the real killer.  Charles Bronson plays a mysterious man with a harmonica and a brutal past who joins forces with them on their quest.  Populated by rich and fascinating characters and driven by an intricately woven plot, ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST is a classic that deserves to be savored and appreciated in high definition.

The ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST Blu-ray includes both the fully restored version of the film and the original theatrical version, as well as commentary featuring film historians, directors and members of the cast and crew, multiple in-depth featurettes exploring various aspects of the film and the filmmaking process, a production gallery and more.

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST Blu-ray

The ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST Blu-ray is presented in 1080p high definition with English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, English Restored Mono Dolby Digital, French Mono Dolby Digital and Spanish Mono Dolby Digital with English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles.  Disc contents are as follows:

·         Feature Film: Restored Version

·         Feature Film: Theatrical Version

·         Commentary with contributions by directors John Carpenter, John Milius and Alex Cox, film historians Sir Christopher Frayling and Dr. Sheldon Hall, cast and crew

·         An Opera of Violence

·         The Wages of Sin

·         Something to do with Death

·         Railroad: Revolutionizing the West

·         Locations Then & Now

·         Production Gallery

·         Theatrical Trailer

About Paramount Home Entertainment   

Paramount Home Entertainment (PHE) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment.  PPC is a unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands.  PHE is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment products on behalf of various parties including: Paramount Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, Insurge Pictures, Paramount Famous Productions, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, CBS and PBS and for providing home entertainment fulfillment services for DreamWorks Animation Home Entertainment.

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST Blu-ray

Street date:                May 31, 2011

Pricing:                       $19.99 U.S.

Runtime:                     165:49 minutes (restored version)

165:10 minutes (theatrical version)

U.S. Rating:                PG-13 for Western violence and brief sensuality

Canadian Rating:       14A

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 46 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,430 posts

Posted March 21 2011 - 12:14 PM

uh...what's in those 39 seconds? I thought the restored version was the only version released on laser disc and DVD

#3 of 46 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,096 posts

Posted March 21 2011 - 04:11 PM

Um...the real version where Frank shoots first? [/url] uh...what's in those 39 seconds? I thought the restored version was the only version released on laser disc and DVD [/quote] In all seriousness, this is an auto-purchase for me, as long as they handle the A/V transfer well.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#4 of 46 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,332 posts

Posted March 21 2011 - 11:37 PM

In all seriousness, this is an auto-purchase for me, as long as they handle the A/V transfer well.

The OUATITW DVD is perhaps one of the finest transfers

I have ever seen on a DVD.

Even if they used the same source for the BD transfer it

should look fantastic.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#5 of 46 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,928 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 22 2011 - 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Carlo Medina 

In all seriousness, this is an auto-purchase for me, as long as they handle the A/V transfer well.

Same here. I love this film -- it's Leone's masterpiece, IMO. Who would have ever thought that Henry Fonda could play such a bad a$$... and play it perfectly?

#6 of 46 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,355 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted March 22 2011 - 05:07 AM

I'll pre-order this one, I love the film.

#7 of 46 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,685 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted March 22 2011 - 05:26 AM

Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#8 of 46 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,191 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 22 2011 - 05:56 AM

yes they brought 2 horses to many!
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#9 of 46 OFFLINE   SAhmed

SAhmed

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted March 22 2011 - 06:05 AM

Absolutely marvelous - this has made my Blu Ray year !!! Cross everything. Regards,

#10 of 46 OFFLINE   Greg_D_R

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator

• 221 posts

Posted March 22 2011 - 08:12 AM

Fan-friggin' tastic!  Fingers crossed for picture quality, but hopeful.

#11 of 46 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,738 posts

Posted March 22 2011 - 11:07 AM

Definitely a purchase if the transfer is a good quality one.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#12 of 46 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,505 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 22 2011 - 12:07 PM

Great news and finally official. btw what kind wording is this.... "165:49 minutes"
facebook.com/whotony

#13 of 46 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,180 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 22 2011 - 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by TonyD 

btw what kind wording is this.... "165:49 minutes"

I guess that's better than saying 9,949 seconds.

#14 of 46 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,505 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 22 2011 - 02:38 PM

I guess that's better than saying 9,949 seconds.

Is it? :P
facebook.com/whotony

#15 of 46 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,485 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted March 22 2011 - 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by GMpasqua 

uh...what's in those 39 seconds? I thought the restored version was the only version released on laser disc and DVD

Apparently the longer version is the film as restored by the Film Foundation to much fanfare, and released theatrically a couple of years back, containing 'Several shots not included in previous presentations were added, making this restoration the most complete version to date'. I saw that, but I have to confess none of the new stuff really leaped off the screen and slapped me in the eye, and I'm very familiar with the film.

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#16 of 46 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,430 posts

Posted March 23 2011 - 02:51 AM

I saw that version and didn't notice any differences, they must be very slight.  I though there was talk of deleted scenes (if they were filmed or not including Lee Remick's role) and if they would ever be incorporated into the film

#17 of 46 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted March 23 2011 - 03:29 AM

I saw the restored version also and did not notice any additions, so any changes must have been minimal.  I never heard of a deleted scene featuring Lee Remick. Paramount would have to really botch this for me to not buy this and in I will likely already own it by the time any reviews hit the street.  I can't wait to watch this magical film in full HD.

#18 of 46 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 6,296 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted March 24 2011 - 09:05 AM

I agree...I was floored by the DVD of this.  Absolutely gorgeous.  And Im real happy this is coming to Bluray.  No brainer for sure.  Good, bad, ugly was a little disappointing on Bluray since I don't like that there's no option for viewing it without the extra scenes.  Still...it looked fine on bluray.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#19 of 46 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,272 posts

Posted March 24 2011 - 09:10 AM

Back in the day there was some major complaints about the Lowry restoration suffering from agressive DNR. Hopefully this will fix that.

#20 of 46 OFFLINE   Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted March 24 2011 - 09:16 AM

The DVD looked like edge enhanced, noise reduced video. Ok for a 32 inch NTSC tube TV I guess. The bluray better not look anything like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users