Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: The Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Trilogy: Extended Edition (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
62 replies to this topic

#1 of 63 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,472 posts

Posted March 21 2011 - 02:09 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 63 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,607 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 21 2011 - 02:16 AM

This release has been added to the Blu-ray Preorder Release Schedule Wiki.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#3 of 63 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted March 21 2011 - 03:28 AM

Interesting news on the disc formats.  The original story was that each movie plus one of the Botes documentaries would be on a single Blu-ray disc, wasn't it?  It's interesting that they not only split the movies up across two discs, but they put the Botes documentaties on their own disc.  It sounds like they're probably just re-purposing the supplemental DVDs from the existing Extended Edition and Limited Edition releases.  Like others have already opined, I think I'd prefer that material to be consilidated onto one or two Blu-ray discs, even if kept in standard definition.  Nevertheless, this sounds like a pretty great set, and I look forward to getting it.

#4 of 63 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,911 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 21 2011 - 04:41 AM

There will inevitably be a LotR set that contains both the theatrical versions plus the extended ones.  That's the set I will pick up.  For as many times as I've watched my existing DVD's of the trilogy, I can't justify the purchase although it is nice the existing supplements are being brought over.

#5 of 63 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted March 21 2011 - 04:51 AM

Also, I just noticed that only The Fellowship of the Ring is listed as having a new transfer.  Is the transfer on the existing version appreciably inferior to those of the other two films?

#6 of 63 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Screenwriter

• 1,617 posts

Posted March 21 2011 - 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by cafink 

Also, I just noticed that only The Fellowship of the Ring is listed as having a new transfer.  Is the transfer on the existing version appreciably inferior to those of the other two films?

Yes; it was the most DNR'd of the three.

#7 of 63 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,587 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted March 21 2011 - 06:22 AM

Interesting news on the disc formats.  The original story was that each movie plus one of the Botes documentaries would be on a single Blu-ray disc, wasn't it?  

That was never anything other than speculation on The Digital Bits' (Bill Hunt) part based on the initial listing of this set on Amazon. This initial listing of disc contents was very poorly formatted - Bill made a reasonable attempt to interpret what was there but he never claimed it as the final word.

There will inevitably be a LotR set that contains both the theatrical versions plus the extended ones.  That's the set I will pick up. 

This is probably going to come across as snarky but it's really not meant to be. Buy this new set, and the existing theatrical trilogy set. Bam! You've got a 21-disc set (not counting the digital copies) containg both versions of each film and all (*) of the supplemental material produced for them. Is it really a big deal that it's in 2 boxes as opposed to one??

The only question remaining for me is the format of the Costa Botes docus (which I have yet to see). It's my understanding that when these were released as part of the Limited Edition 2-disc sets that they were non-anamorphic. I thought this was odd since I believe they were filmed in HD. Hopefully this has been rectified.

(*) Actually, I am aware of three supplemental items that are NOT included with either of these sets. These are the contents of the bonus discs that were included with each of the Extended Editiion Gift Sets (the ones with the Sideshow mini-sculptures): (1) FotR - the firstNational Geographic special; (2) TTT - the Sideshow Gollum featurette; (3) - RotK - the LotR Symphony featurette. So if you've got those discs hang onto them!!

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.
* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.
* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#8 of 63 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,587 posts

Posted March 21 2011 - 06:37 AM

I also have to say the packaging looks really nice (see pics of the open box at the Amazon listing). It's so rare that we get any kind of deluxe packaging anymore so I'm happy to see Warner/New Line give us something that not only conveys a bit of "specialness" but also looks like it will still fit on a standard shelf.

#9 of 63 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,911 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 21 2011 - 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig S 
This is probably going to come across as snarky but it's really not meant to be. Buy this new set, and the existing theatrical trilogy set. Bam! You've got a 21-disc set (not counting the digital copies) containg both versions of each film and all (*) of the supplemental material produced for them. Is it really a big deal that it's in 2 boxes as opposed to one??

(*) Actually, I am aware of three supplemental items that are NOT included with either of these sets. These are the contents of the bonus discs that were included with each of the Extended Editiion Gift Sets (the ones with the Sideshow mini-sculptures): (1) FotR - the firstNational Geographic special; (2) TTT - the Sideshow Gollum featurette; (3) - RotK - the LotR Symphony featurette. So if you've got those discs hang onto them!!

I alreayd have the original 2 disc DVD's of each film plus the four disc Extended Edition boses.  That's 18 discs right there, if my math is right, taking up a sizeable chunk of shelf real estate.  Considering I've only ever watching the extended version of Fellowship...I'm still not in a hurry to grab this set or the separate theatricals.  I understand what you're saying, Craig, and I didn't find it snarky at all.  I'm only weighing my personal value of collecting all the discs just to have them on the shelf like so many other things.

#10 of 63 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,855 posts

Posted March 21 2011 - 08:26 AM

A little more detail on the set:

http://www.darkhoriz...s-blu-june-28th#

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#11 of 63 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,459 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted March 21 2011 - 08:46 AM

I'm not getting the whole "remastered from the original 2k digital files" thing.  Are they tweaking the "orig" digital files further? Or "unmastering" what was done in the theatrical Blu-ray release since these are not new digital files for Fellowship...? Looks like an awesome set!

#12 of 63 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted March 21 2011 - 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Felix Martinez 

I'm not getting the whole "remastered from the original 2k digital files" thing.  Are they tweaking the "orig" digital files further? Or "unmastering" what was done in the theatrical Blu-ray release since these are not new digital files for Fellowship...?

Looks like an awesome set!

Fellowship was the only film that, at least in the theatrical release, didn't have a complete digital grading. Only a few sequences were color corrected digitally. The rest of the film was traditional optical color correction. The master for that film is likely on film, as apposed to the other two where the master is likely digital. I don't know however what effect that might have on the extended edition.

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#13 of 63 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,723 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted March 21 2011 - 10:21 AM

Nice way to celebrate my 38th birthday!

#14 of 63 OFFLINE   Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted March 22 2011 - 08:53 AM

A no-brainer purchase for me, particularly with a new FOTR transfer and the Botes documentaries included.
"If fakes, they were masterpieces."

--The New York Times commenting on Willis O'Brien's dinosaurs in The Lost World (1925).

"From the two trailers I've seen, the movie looks like AIDS."--Recent thread post on AICN

#15 of 63 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,472 posts

Posted June 08 2011 - 12:25 AM

Home Media Magazine is reporting an extra bonus

"ring replica" with preorder of the boxed set.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#16 of 63 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,955 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted June 08 2011 - 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein 

Home Media Magazine is reporting an extra bonus

"ring replica" with preorder of the boxed set.

Best Buy stores have the ring available now on shelves. It comes in a box presumably to be used to house the upcoming set. It's funny  when they released the theatrical versions on Blu last year how far off these Extended version seemed to be and now we're only a couple of weeks away from street date. Patience really is a virtue :-)

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos.

#17 of 63 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,775 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 08 2011 - 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Craig S 

I also have to say the packaging looks really nice (see pics of the open box at the Amazon listing). It's so rare that we get any kind of deluxe packaging anymore so I'm happy to see Warner/New Line give us something that not only conveys a bit of "specialness" but also looks like it will still fit on a standard shelf.

Craig:

I've just checked the Amazon listing top to bottom and I'm just not seeing any detailed pix of the packaging (with the discs, etc. laid out).  Can you (or anyone else) point me more directly to such an image?

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#18 of 63 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,871 posts

Posted June 08 2011 - 04:58 AM

Will definitely buy this on release date. Surprised though that the original digital masters were in 2K. I guess technology has moved very quickly, because aren't most digital masters in 4K nowadays? It is nice they acknowledged (in a way) that the first film's transfer was sub-par in comparison to the other two films. Hopefully this will be the last time I need to purchase these films... 

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#19 of 63 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,587 posts

Posted June 08 2011 - 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon 

Craig:

I've just checked the Amazon listing top to bottom and I'm just not seeing any detailed pix of the packaging (with the discs, etc. laid out).  Can you (or anyone else) point me more directly to such an image?

You're right, Mike, it's not on Amazon anymore. Odd. I dug around and finally found it at the Bits:

Posted Image

#20 of 63 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,775 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 08 2011 - 07:53 AM

Thanks, Craig. Wow.  Looks impressive.  I hope it's not as unwieldy as the DVD sets of the EEs. But, even if it is...I'll be okay with it.  And I agree with Carlo that it is a very good thing that they are letting us directly & matter-of-factly know that we can expect a better transfer of FotR.  Takes the guesswork and waiting out of the equation.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon