Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Continuing TV on DVD?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 906 posts

Posted March 18 2011 - 07:28 PM

Dear Guys:

What "classic" tv programs are doing so well on DVD, that you're pretty sure they'll keep on being released? I know there are quite a few unreleased programs, and some stalled series, but which ones are still selling well enough to make it to Wal-Mart.

I think the following are doing well:

Bionic Woman

Hawaii Five-O

Scarecrow and Mrs. King

Virginian

Wagon Train

Here's Lucy

The Lucy Show

Now, I know current series have a high probability of coming out on digital like Smallville, Big Bang Theory, Fringe, etc. But I find myself wondering what older shows are still doing well.

Well, what shows did I miss? Comments? Suggestions?

James

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,162 posts

Posted March 25 2011 - 09:35 AM

Now I know it's Region 2, but Dynasty is doing well on DVD in Europe and the UK. Season 6 was released in January, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed Season 7 will be released before the end of the year.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,457 posts

Posted March 26 2011 - 01:53 PM

For some reason, "American" soaps are more popular in Europe and South America than they are in their home country! I've never been able to explain it--except that perhaps fans in those other countries buy into the rich, decadent, Americans" fantasy more than we do here...

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted March 27 2011 - 01:11 AM

American soaps... a dying breed for sure.  There was talk this week of cancelling "All My Children".  People are not watching like they used to... And yet "Coronation Street" in Britain is still going strong 50 years in prime time.  This show's success is what prompted Monash to adapt "Peyton Place" to American television!  "Peyton Place" languishes on the 20th Century Fox shelves, and its predecessor still produces new episodes.  Irony at its best! Did they cancel "All My Children"?  I never did hear-

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,449 posts

Posted March 27 2011 - 03:04 AM

I think it is a different era with less mothers staying a home. Two income is order of day now, so the soap operas in the daytime are losing ratings due to demographic shift. Plus, there are other things on tv, like classic movies, talk shows, etc that also are eating into soaps. The Soaps, especially nighttime soaps had their time and it has pass. I do not watch much tv other than dvds and that is my choice

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,162 posts

Posted March 30 2011 - 08:48 AM

Although the whole series has been completed on DVD (both in the US and UK), it's TV movies (four in total) haven't been released yet....Murder, She Wrote.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users