Jump to content



Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

F.B.I. from WBA


  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
331 replies to this topic

#41 of 332 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

    Producer



  • 3,454 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 15 2006

Posted March 19 2011 - 08:19 PM

Yes, I too would like to get back to discussing the merits of the series.   Season 1, as I've said, is my favorite because in that year, Lewis Erskine was allowed to be more three-dimensional.   We learned more about his personal life, and he also had more humanized touches that basically disappeared in short order.    Part of this was because Efrem Zimbalist didn't want to be portrayed as having a grown daughter, hence the disappearance of Lynn Loring as Barbara Erskine (who in one episode is established as engaged to his partner, Jim Rhodes) halfway through S1, but also because J. Edgar Hoover who did have a controlling influence over the direction of the show didn't want to see the agents depicted as anything less than stoic professionals doing their jobs.    Thus, the show rather quickly became at least for the leads more in the "Dragnet" mold in showing them approach their work with strict professionalism and no hints as to their private lives at all.     OTOH, unlike "Dragnet" the stories of the criminals at least would be presented in more three-dimensional fashion, perhaps not on the same quality level of "Naked City" but more in that direction IMO which made for a good blending of the formats ("Naked City" IMO seldom showed us any of the police process in action which was its one weakness).   I also like the fact that S1 is the one year that does not have the extraneous and IMO unnecessary narration of Marvin Miller at the open and close of each show.    To me, Miller's narrator function really served no purpose and just seemed like a case of Quinn Martin copying a gimmick from "The Fugitive" (and which would then get used on "The Invaders" which debuted the same season "The FBI" switched to that format).   Bronislau Kaper's theme is also a classic, just as terrific as Rugolo's for "The Fugitive".   And because "The FBI" had a higher budget, that meant there was a greater level of original music used and not the reliance on stock cues for "The Fugitive" and "The Invaders."

#42 of 332 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

    Screenwriter



  • 1,536 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 27 2008

Posted March 19 2011 - 08:32 PM

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P /forum/thread/309795/f-b-i-from-wba/30#post_3791796 As for Brad's point in reference to "My Three Sons", I think what that overlooks is that discussion has to do with a released end-product that we're judging, whereas this is a release that has just been announced and there is no way to judge the video quality etc. which if it turns out to be sub-standard will *then* be an occasion for that kind of critical discussion that I have no qualms with seeing.     But for now, I think this is the kind of news that should at the very least elicit more good feeling than perpetual cynicism.  
I've been trying to take the high road here, but if you want to continue the back and forth, I'll give one more go.   Yes, the music replacement issue was determined after release, but the primary discussion here has been price, which is known now and so we don't have to wait for a released product to discuss that since it has been listed. And as stated previously, discussions on price are no different then any other potential negative that could influence a purchase decision. Next, it has never been beyond discussion in these threads (for good or bad) to bring in past history for accountability in judging the potential of a product before release. How many times does Shout! have to release a successful product before some will stop stating they will have to wait and see to make sure the first season doesn't include cut syndicated copies. My guess they never will live that one down.  WBA has had previous releases so there is history involved that will begin shaping peoples views even before a new title has been released. I'll say it again, there is nothing unusual going on here that hasn't gone on before, except maybe that by arguing it so much you are taking away from the very thing you try to promote.   Back to the show.  

#43 of 332 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

    Screenwriter



  • 1,357 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 23 2004

Posted March 20 2011 - 02:38 AM

Obviously no WBA titles thus far have subtitles as they're manufactured on demand and it'd be too expensive for them undoubtedly, so a for or against this particular service is a bit pointless there when it comes to archive titles. I sometimes find myself using them to be honest and wish they were included here, as I think they ought to be with all major studio releases but it certainly would never stop me buying a product without them. I just think it's a noble service you can justify since so many people in fact do need them, if not then simply disregard. By the way, anyone think it's realistic we'll one day have an archive service where it's not the studio deciding and announcing their selected archive titles for sale, but you the consumer simply picking them and buying from their whole vault what you'd like in essence off a much wider catalog selection? Anyway, back to the fabulous Feds show I hope we'll see every season made available of. 

#44 of 332 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

    Screenwriter



  • 2,426 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 17 2008

Posted March 20 2011 - 07:12 AM

Is there not like 7 seasons of The FBI? This must means they are going to go with Warners Bros archive this show. Unfortunately, this cuts all a great deal of fans as the archive program is only available to United States residence. I have found ways around this issue, but, it means i usually pay a little more for the set. I probably will hold off on this series until i am able to get a good deal for it. I was very young when the series first came up and aired. I am big into nostaglia TV and have close to 20 shows from the 1960s.

#45 of 332 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

    Screenwriter



  • 2,282 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 29 2009

Posted March 20 2011 - 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P /forum/thread/309795/f-b-i-from-wba#post_3791585   Maybe we have too many collectors who have forgotten how much we used to have to pay for these things when we were starting out or who have forgotten what movies on DVD still cost to get.
      Well, I think that many "collectors" didn't start collecting that long ago so they are unfamiliar with the world of $15 to $20 for a blank tape that held 2 hours of material or paying more for a 16mm print of one episode than $40. All depends on your perspective. I never bought laser discs but weren't they like up to $100 for a movie? Or how about Columbia House with their $20 plus shipping for 3 or 4 episodes. If you collected in the 70s or 80s, TV shows now are laughably cheap. That being said, I was never a huge FBI fan as it was Quinn Martin doing Jack Webb, with the agents being automatons with zero human emotions. I remember when I watched it as a kid, rooting for the criminals because they at least seemed to be human. The show did have some great guest stars though and its worth it just for that. For great guest stars, you can't beat QM shows or Universal shows, although Universal put all of their money in the guests and everything else (locations, scripts, etc.) was done as cheaply as possible.       

#46 of 332 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

    Producer



  • 3,454 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 15 2006

Posted March 20 2011 - 08:50 AM

There were nine seasons total.   The last season though, which has Shelley Novack as Zimbalist's final partner (replacing William Reynolds, who took over in S3) was never syndicated and has not been part of the American Life package.    In fact a number of other episodes from earlier seasons were also to the best of my knowledge not included in the American Life package.   The original Facebook announcement about this title was promising all nine seasons, and I think as an Archive title in which there isn't the same level of sales expectations as a "regular" release, that actually bodes well for our seeing the whole run come out.   One feature that was part of the original broadcasts but never part of any of the reruns was Efrem Zimbalist I think appearing at the end to mention who one of the FBI's most wanted was and to ask for viewer help leading to their arrest (even James Earl Ray was mentioned as part of this before his apprehension for the murder of Martin Luther King).     If these don't appear that won't be of concern to me since I never saw them originally, though obviously it would be nice if they were included.

#47 of 332 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

    Producer



  • 4,619 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 02 2004
  • Real Name:Gary

Posted March 20 2011 - 10:50 AM

     Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P /forum/thread/309795/f-b-i-from-wba/30#post_3791796 Gary, I'm sorry but this is not true.     First off, you are talking about the price for two shows that are *half hour* shows and thus when we are talking about the price in relation to the amount of material that is in the FBI release as a one hour show, this one comes out less and thus by that yardstick a better buy or at worse the same general price range.    Second, the list price on both "Highway Patrol" and "Flipper" has been a lot higher and is currently much higher than either of those figures you paid.    "Highway Patrol" at present can only be had for $55 from Amazon and the base price is $60 which is also the same list price for "Flipper."    I'm sure you took advantage of a discount that was up for a time, but that is not a fair comparison because I'm sure that given how Warner Archive has had many discounts that have enabled me to get boxed movie sets at a reduced price, such options will also be available at some point for "The FBI" for those who might want to wait a bit.     My point was comparing the standard retail price and on that one, this release comes out smelling like a rose in contrast to "Highway Patrol" and "Flipper".     Those two are priced in excess of $20 higher than "The FBI" release is for the same amount of material.
Okay Jack, I'm ready to end the discussion after I make one final point about the comparisons since we are being so precise.  I'll give you the fact that the two shows I mentioned were half-hour shows versus an hour for F.B.I., although at the price I bought Flipper it still comes out as cheaper even if it's doubled.  Highway Patrol would come out a better deal because it had 39 episodes to only 31 for F.B.I.  So no matter how you slice it the price is greater for your show.  But that's not even the biggest point for me.  The difference between me buying Flipper and Highway Patrol at those prices and me NOT buying F.B.I. at a high price is that I knew I wanted the first two shows.  They were known properties that were actually on my "must own" list.  The F.B.I. would essentially be a blind buy for me and while I'd undoubtedly take a shot if it were priced lower, I'm not going to take that gamble at the WBA price point.  And that's been the point a few of us have been making for a while now.    Since it's a holy grail show for you I'm glad it's coming out.  If it were a favorite of mine I'd find a way to get it although I'd still be miffed at the pricing.  But surely you can see where some of us are coming from.  It's a high price for an unknown, IMHO.    Gary "hope you enjoy the release, Jack - take care" O.  
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND
 

 


#48 of 332 OFFLINE   stuartfanning

stuartfanning

    Stunt Coordinator



  • 97 posts
  • Join Date: May 23 2009
  • Real Name:Stuart Fanning
  • LocationEngland

Posted March 20 2011 - 03:48 PM

The truth is that at this price it should have been for a full season set. My worry would be that their offer will put people off, sales will be disappointing and releases will stall. Also we were promised extras but there is no sign of them with this release.

#49 of 332 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

    Screenwriter



  • 2,665 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 24 2000

Posted March 21 2011 - 06:28 AM

All Paramount half seasons are $39.95 exactly the same as Warner Archive The Quality of Cheyene and all the HB titles is on par with the quality of Paramount titles. So where is the overpricing and lack of quality? The only thing up for debate is whether or not you believe the self-destructing legend of DVD-R's. DVD-R is not going away and the mass amount of pressed DVD's of the past are not coming back so its either retire from the hobby or continue with the new format. The constant complaints and whining in every single new release thread of a DVD-R release is counter-productive, getting really old and serves no purpose as its now been repeated ad naseum.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#50 of 332 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

    Screenwriter



  • 2,282 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 29 2009

Posted March 21 2011 - 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Korstick /forum/thread/309795/f-b-i-from-wba/30#post_3792086 All Paramount half seasons are $39.95 exactly the same as Warner Archive The Quality of Cheyene and all the HB titles is on par with the quality of Paramount titles. So where is the overpricing and lack of quality? The only thing up for debate is whether or not you believe the self-destructing legend of DVD-R's. DVD-R is not going away and the mass amount of pressed DVD's of the past are not coming back so its either retire from the hobby or continue with the new format. The constant complaints and whining in every single new release thread of a DVD-R release is counter-productive, getting really old and serves no purpose as its now been repeated ad naseum.
     Agree 100%. I would say that probably 98% of the older shows that have enough mass market appeal to sell sufficient amounts to warrant a regular commercial release have come out already. Other than those shows tied up due to "issues", such as Batman, Wonder Years, China Beach, etc., what can you name that would sell in huge quantities that hasn't been released yet? So now that we are down to the shows that will sell in the hundreds, maybe a couple thousand if they're lucky, the only way you are getting any of these things is either BOD or if you are lucky enough to see a show get picked up by one of these retro networks that run shows complete. Otherwise, as Randy said, time to retire from the hobby and enjoy what you have. I am personally very happy that Warner is heading in this direction as there are quite a few interesting titles in their catalogue that may see the light this way. Better than the other studios like CBS (many shows never transferred from film to tape and therefore no affordable usable elements), Universal (again, no elements on many shows plus astronomical 35mm transfer costs) and Fox (no interest in its back catalogue and sets licensing fees ridiculously high). Bottom line, the hobby has always been changing, from 3/4 and 16mm to Beta and VHS to Super VHS to DVD to DVD-R. Adapt or you get left behind.  

#51 of 332 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

    Screenwriter



  • 1,536 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 27 2008

Posted March 21 2011 - 08:38 AM

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Korstick /forum/thread/309795/f-b-i-from-wba/30#post_3792086 All Paramount half seasons are $39.95 exactly the same as Warner Archive The Quality of Cheyene and all the HB titles is on par with the quality of Paramount titles. So where is the overpricing and lack of quality? The only thing up for debate is whether or not you believe the self-destructing legend of DVD-R's. DVD-R is not going away and the mass amount of pressed DVD's of the past are not coming back so its either retire from the hobby or continue with the new format. The constant complaints and whining in every single new release thread of a DVD-R release is counter-productive, getting really old and serves no purpose as its now been repeated ad naseum.
Listing retail pricing of Paramount titles of $39.95 does little to support your argument when we all know we can do better. Just last night I picked up 6 half season sets from DVDEmpire as part of their Paramount sale. Adding to that a readily available coupon for 10% off with free shipping and I came out at an average of $19.50 a set shipped to my house.  When Warner Archive can compete with actual pricing taking into consideration regular sales and discounts then you can use that argument (don't forget their inflated shipping costs)   As for quality, that's a case by case situation depending on the quality of what is available and what would be needed to get it into top shape. This is not limited to a deployment format. However, dual layer (DVD-9) technology is common practice with pressed disks, and hasn't had much success yet on the DVD-R release side. So we may be seeing some extra compression being used on the MOD releases until that gets figured out.   But as Neil points out, a lot has been released and it doesn't appear that studios are buying into the risks involved in sustaining the same release strategies of the past going forward. So whether it is MOD programs or pressed disks sold through "Select" programs like Shout! at more limited numbers, or both; the landscape does appear to be changing. With a result of pricing being a bit higher with less competition. As also stated, if one wants to stay a collector to get what is remaining to be released they will have to accept the new model (even if it means purchasing less titles per year for the same budget) or be happy with what they have.  That said, we are still in a transition stage. The norm for pricing is not at what Warner Archive is charging yet. So it should be no surprise that many are not ready to adopt it as long as they can still purchase other titles for half the price.   So I would disagree that this is a pressed vs. DVD-R question. I think it still is a pricing and in some cases quality issue for most, and will remain that way until all that remains for one to purchase are the higher priced BOD/MOD titles. At that time each will make their own call as to whether to continue or not. I'm sure everyone wants TV releases to continue in some form or another.  

#52 of 332 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

    Producer



  • 3,454 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 15 2006

Posted March 21 2011 - 09:57 AM

Back to the show.   Some of my favorite episodes in this first set include:   1-"The Monster".     The first episode of the series which has Jeffrey Hunter as an escaped extortionist who is also a dangerous psychopath when it comes to women.   2-"Image In a Cracked Mirror."    Jack Klugman as a timid bank employee who embezzles funds and takes off with his young son.       3-"The Giant Killer."   Robert Duvall in an early role is the villain here, out to destroy a transport vehicle carrying a US test rocket.   4-"Pound Of Flesh".   Leslie Nielsen as an army chaplain whose wife has been murdered.   These early episodes also feature several appearances by Lee Meriwether as an FBI employee who is the closest Erskine ever gets to any kind of a potential love interest.     Again, this is one of those humanizing touches of the first season that IMO make it better than subsequent ones which have to be enjoyed more on the merits of the case unfolding etc.

#53 of 332 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

    Screenwriter



  • 2,665 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 24 2000

Posted March 21 2011 - 11:34 AM

Listing retail pricing as in this thread of Archive releases is also invalid as 10% is always available just by signing up free for a newletter and 20-25% off sales with free shipping are happening once or twice a month as well as $5.00 off coupons and some discounts can be combined. No one should ever pay $39.95 for a Warner Archive TV show anymore than for a Paramount release so since we are listing retail prices in this thread than my point is still valid. You are referencing big sales that are due to DVD TV titles no longer selling and thus being phased out as all pressed TV titles are. Normal website Paramount pricing is 25-30% off about the same as archives. I do agree that as Archive sales increase the price will decrease somewhat.   Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb /forum/thread/309795/f-b-i-from-wba/30#post_3792125   Listing retail pricing of Paramount titles of $39.95 does little to support your argument when we all know we can do better. Just last night I picked up 6 half season sets from DVDEmpire as part of their Paramount sale. Adding to that a readily available coupon for 10% off with free shipping and I came out at an average of $19.50 a set shipped to my house.  When Warner Archive can compete with actual pricing taking into consideration regular sales and discounts then you can use that argument (don't forget their inflated shipping costs)   As for quality, that's a case by case situation depending on the quality of what is available and what would be needed to get it into top shape. This is not limited to a deployment format. However, dual layer (DVD-9) technology is common practice with pressed disks, and hasn't had much success yet on the DVD-R release side. So we may be seeing some extra compression being used on the MOD releases until that gets figured out.   But as Neil points out, a lot has been released and it doesn't appear that studios are buying into the risks involved in sustaining the same release strategies of the past going forward. So whether it is MOD programs or pressed disks sold through "Select" programs like Shout! at more limited numbers, or both; the landscape does appear to be changing. With a result of pricing being a bit higher with less competition. As also stated, if one wants to stay a collector to get what is remaining to be released they will have to accept the new model (even if it means purchasing less titles per year for the same budget) or be happy with what they have.  That said, we are still in a transition stage. The norm for pricing is not at what Warner Archive is charging yet. So it should be no surprise that many are not ready to adopt it as long as they can still purchase other titles for half the price.   So I would disagree that this is a pressed vs. DVD-R question. I think it still is a pricing and in some cases quality issue for most, and will remain that way until all that remains for one to purchase are the higher priced BOD/MOD titles. At that time each will make their own call as to whether to continue or not. I'm sure everyone wants TV releases to continue in some form or another.  
 
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#54 of 332 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

    Screenwriter



  • 1,804 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 28 2008
  • Real Name:Glen
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted March 21 2011 - 01:10 PM

MOD is the last breath of standard definition  physical media as the studios invest more and more into 3D and streaming. They are offering-and in some cases exploiting-the last remnants of a faithful DVD consumer.  It will eventually go the way of CDs and perhaps even vinyl, where a few boutique labels are still manufacturing select titles.   As much as I enjoy having access to the physical media in my personal collection, I have more or less drawn the line with these MOD programs. I am lucky to have several local libraries which carry many of the Warner Archive titles, the Universal Vault titles and soon the Sony and MGM offerings. I have watched over a hundred movies this way so far and, similar to what streaming will be, just watching them and not owning them has been good enough. Yes, there are titles I would like to have to watch whenever I please, but when I narrowed this new mode down what was being offered and at what price, I made the decision to support it only minimally. Contrary to the statements above about being "left behind," I feel instead that I am adapting to what will most likely be the future, streaming, and the idea that I no  longer have to own everything I want.    I bear no ill will toward those who feel differently and support the MOD processes, but I don't think the debate benefits from the endless bickering which more often than not seems to be between those who are envious and wish they could buy more of the titles and those who may have inner doubts about having invested in  it and need to shout in order to somehow justify why. That's how it often appears anyway.   When in doubt, remember the old adage: Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

#55 of 332 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

    Screenwriter



  • 1,536 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 27 2008

Posted March 21 2011 - 01:19 PM

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Korstick /forum/thread/309795/f-b-i-from-wba/30#post_3792187 Listing retail pricing as in this thread of Archive releases is also invalid as 10% is always available just by signing up free for a newletter and 20-25% off sales with free shipping are happening once or twice a month as well as $5.00 off coupons and some discounts can be combined. No one should ever pay $39.95 for a Warner Archive TV show anymore than for a Paramount release so since we are listing retail prices in this thread than my point is still valid. You are referencing big sales that are due to DVD TV titles no longer selling and thus being phased out as all pressed TV titles are. Normal website Paramount pricing is 25-30% off about the same as archives. I do agree that as Archive sales increase the price will decrease somewhat.
So let me see if I have this correct:   - Warner Archive releases can go on SALE periodically for 20-25% off that is about the same as NORMAL website pricing on Paramount titles. So you are comparing sale pricing to everyday normal pricing and saying that is an equal comparison? For these sales you are talking about, are we referencing movies or TV shows (it makes a difference related to this thread, at least)? I'd like to know when Cheyenne season 2 goes for under $20 a volume. If I didn't already record it off of Encore I might give that price a shot. But, keep me informed on that one would you please? I might change my mind.   - You say I'm referencing big sales due to TV titles no longer selling and thus being phased out. Funny, I referenced the DVEmpire sales I just made my purchases from, did you take a look at least. I never would have thought that Matlock S6 and Have Gun Will Travel S5V2 would be considered being phased out for no longer selling since they were just released in the last few months. The fact is that the majority of Paramount titles are on sale at DVDEmpire right now, not just old titles. The fact is, this is NOT a BIG sale at all but a typical sale that comes out across vendors due to competition and studio discounting. The fact is that while you are talking 20-25%, I'm talking 40-50% off. The fact is that I've averaged 40-50% off at least 30 titles over the last 5 months due to sales across a variety of studios and vendors. That's still apples to oranges to me and not even close, even when we compare actual pricing available.   - You say you agree that archive pricing will decrease somewhat as sales increase. Not sure who you are agreeing with because I never said that. The closest I came is to state that if/when BOD/MOD becomes more prevalent we will probably all have to adjust to paying more per title then we are used to now. With a lack of competition I don't see prices going down at all. I do see BOD/MOD and "Select" titles becoming more prevalent because it is financially less risky for them to go that route. And when/if that happens I will decide how to proceed. But as long as titles that I have an interest in are still being released at a lower price point, I will put my money there first.   So all-in-all, I don't think we agree or will on anything Randy.   Jack, I'm sorry about the continual derailing of this thread. I have to respond when I think facts are being missrepresented. Otherwise, I would prefer to read more responses about F.B.I.  Like Naked City it would appear there is a focus on quality guest stars, which I enjoy.  

#56 of 332 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

    Screenwriter



  • 2,665 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 24 2000

Posted March 21 2011 - 02:01 PM

I didn't say that the prices were the same. I said they were misquoted when people list them at list price and that the price is not that far off. I don't count a mega-sale as the Norm. What were TV DVD prices in their 1st two years of release?  Mostly $59.95 list and the big sales were not as prevalent and 20-25% off was usually the best you were going to get. Now granted they were always complete seasons but they also didn't release shows early in the TV on DVD market that had 32 one hour episodes for one season like FBI if they did they almost surely would have went the two volume pattern like Perry Mason which was $49.95 or $59.95 each intially.  So at this point the archive TV releases are on par or a bit cheaper with what DVD TV release were when they initially came out and still on par with many current releases.  They will most certainly continue to go down in the future. No offense but I find it hard to believe that derailing this thread was not the intent when the same people post price and mod-discs complaints in every single new release thread when we already know those people have no intention of buying so it seems like nothing but a derailment attempt. Which is why I'm starting to post on these subjects because it has grown extremely tiresome reading the same replies on every mod title instead of discussion on the titles. Even worse when there is a lot of wrong information being repeated about pricing and quality by people who obviously haven't bought any mod titles themselves. Now my appolgies Jack since I have now contributed to somewhat derailing as well but alot of this has needed to be said for awhile. Alot of people don't like Mods we get it. But since this seems to be the future and most shows are only going to be released this way in the future many of us are fine with it. If you don't like the way DVD TV shows are changing then move onto something else. No more from me on this.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#57 of 332 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

    Screenwriter



  • 1,536 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 27 2008

Posted March 21 2011 - 02:29 PM

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Korstick /forum/thread/309795/f-b-i-from-wba/30#post_3792238 I didn't say that the prices were the same. I said they were misquoted when people list them at list price and that the price is not that far off. I don't count a mega-sale as the Norm. What were TV DVD prices in their 1st two years of release?  Mostly $59.95 list and the big sales were not as prevalent and 20-25% off was usually the best you were going to get. Now granted they were always complete seasons but they also didn't release shows early in the TV on DVD market that had 32 one hour episodes for one season like FBI if they did they almost surely would have went the two volume pattern like Perry Mason which was $49.95 or $59.95 each intially.  So at this point the archive TV releases are on par or a bit cheaper with what DVD TV release were when they initially came out and still on par with many current releases.  They will most certainly continue to go down in the future. No offense but I find it hard to believe that derailing this thread was not the intent when the same people post price and mod-discs complaints in every single new release thread when we already know those people have no intention of buying so it seems like nothing but a derailment attempt. Which is why I'm starting to post on these subjects because it has grown extremely tiresome reading the same replies on every mod title instead of discussion on the titles. Even worse when there is a lot of wrong information being repeated about pricing and quality by people who obviously haven't bought any mod titles themselves. Now my appolgies Jack since I have now contributed to somewhat derailing as well but alot of this has needed to be said for awhile. Alot of people don't like Mods we get it. But since this seems to be the future and most shows are only going to be released this way in the future many of us are fine with it. If you don't like the way DVD TV shows are changing then move onto something else. No more from me on this.
So now you are comparing this F.B.I. pricing to the pricing of when TV DVD's first started being released many years ago, not to what pricing they can be had for now? Even for a title released just last month. I fail to understand this logic, but so be it.  

#58 of 332 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

    Screenwriter



  • 1,804 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 28 2008
  • Real Name:Glen
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted March 21 2011 - 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Korstick /forum/thread/309795/f-b-i-from-wba/30#post_3792238 No offense but I find it hard to believe that derailing this thread was not the intent when the same people post price and mod-discs complaints in every single new release thread when we already know those people have no intention of buying so it seems like nothing but a derailment attempt.
And I find it hard to believe there is a conspiracy going on here to somehow circumvent each and every MOD thread in persuading people not to support the programs or their corresponding studios. Message boards by their very nature tend to take on lives of their own. One need therefore make a conscious choice whether to patronize it or not, no matter which direction it might take, rather than consistently belittling those who may see the situation differently or constantly attempting to steer it in one direction and one direction only. Last time I looked the TITLE and SUBJECT of this particular thread did not expressly forbid an open forum however way it might inspire.  Sensing a pattern to posts is inevitable, especially with those who contribute often, but intimating they have potentially devious motives outside of simply disagreeing is a bit far fetched.    Although as one who often thinks that the studios receive undue favorable treatment every now and then in online forums, I am a bit of a black calling  kettle here.  

#59 of 332 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

    Producer



  • 3,454 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 15 2006

Posted March 21 2011 - 06:02 PM

I think this discussion should get back to the series itself.    I've said my piece on this issue of MOD in general and my feelings that this release does in fact represent a fair price comparatively speaking and I don't want to say anymore about it.   So let's let it stay with the subject of what to see in the series on DVD.   Again, I can't understate the significance of this title making it, because up until now this was not only the longest running show that debuted in the 60s not to be on DVD but I am hard-pressed to think of *any* title prior to the 80s that ran this long with no DVD representation ("Ozzie And Harriet" has two releases even if they are not ideal ones for those fans, but at least one can find episodes in that format).

#60 of 332 OFFLINE   Flashgear

Flashgear

    Stunt Coordinator



  • 139 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 23 2007
  • Real Name:Randall
  • LocationAlberta Canada

Posted March 21 2011 - 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P /forum/thread/309795/f-b-i-from-wba/30#post_3792156 Back to the show.   Some of my favorite episodes in this first set include:   1-"The Monster".     The first episode of the series which has Jeffrey Hunter as an escaped extortionist who is also a dangerous psychopath when it comes to women.   2-"Image In a Cracked Mirror."    Jack Klugman as a timid bank employee who embezzles funds and takes off with his young son.       3-"The Giant Killer."   Robert Duvall in an early role is the villain here, out to destroy a transport vehicle carrying a US test rocket.   4-"Pound Of Flesh".   Leslie Nielsen as an army chaplain whose wife has been murdered.   These early episodes also feature several appearances by Lee Meriwether as an FBI employee who is the closest Erskine ever gets to any kind of a potential love interest.     Again, this is one of those humanizing touches of the first season that IMO make it better than subsequent ones which have to be enjoyed more on the merits of the case unfolding etc.
Jack, I think I'm going to want this...I really don't remember anything of the first season, but would like to see these based on your recomendation, and the fact that I love QM shows...speaking of Leslie Nielsen, I'd dearly love to see "The New Breed" on dvd...does "Monster" represent maybe Jeff Hunter's last American TV work?  




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users