What's new

Yellow Rose (1983-84) Announced (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
We've been wondering when Warner Archive was finally going to live up to the promises of those Facebook pledges that they would be releasing more TV series on DVD through this program. "Cheyenne" S2 was the first back in December but nothing since then (not counting Hanna Barbera animated titles) until now with "The Yellow Rose" from 1983-84.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Yellow-Rose-The-Complete-Series/15136

As I recall, Jane Russell, who recently passed away, appeared in a few of these episodes. This also had Cybill Shepherd a year before her bigger comeback with "Moonlighting."

This is not a title I'd be particularly inclined to get but I'm glad to see Warner Archive is at least releasing any kind of regular series as a sign that maybe the coming weeks is going to bring more and that this represents the first breach in the dam that's been holding back Warner titles from getting to DVD.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
This is awesome news! Fans naturally would've preferred a normal DVD release and I've been calling for this show for years, finally it's coming now so a very big thank you to WB is in order!

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
Was anyone else surprised to see this listed as a 5 disc set? Have Warner Bros. found a DVD-R capable of holding this much info with decent A/V quality? Apparently they are going to try fitting five episodes on two of the discs in order to keep the DVD-R count at five. Hmmm.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I have to say that when I transferred my videotape masters of this show over to DVD a few years ago, I was quite pleased at how well it held up and how good this show was. For an eighties show, I highly recommend it.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by WaveCrest

Is The Yellow Rose going to be a Warner Archive website exclusive?

I think so, but it doesn't mean it won't be offered through amazon or elsewhere, down the road.

I have only the vaguest memory of this show from when it was on. I think it came on when there were already one too many primetime soaps airing, and so it was sort of ignored. Didn't help matters that it aired on Saturday nights at 10! I think I'm gonna order it though--

WendyCR

Stunt Coordinator
The only show I can remember doing well on Saturdays at 10 was "Hunter" on the same network a year later. But I guess that was an exception. Nowadays, the networks have given up on Saturdays altogether.

I am old enough to ostensibly remember this show (a tween then), but sadly, I don't. From the cover, it seems like some "Dallas" clone, maybe? At least Cybill Shepherd had a true comeback a couple years after with "Moonlighting"

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley

I have only the vaguest memory of this show from when it was on. I think it came on when there were already one too many primetime soaps airing, and so it was sort of ignored. Didn't help matters that it aired on Saturday nights at 10! I think I'm gonna order it though--

In the Tim Brooks & Earle Marsh book, it says The Yellow Rose started on Sundays at 10 pm - 11 pm in October 1983, then from October 1983 to January 1984 it moved to Saturdays at 10 pm - 11 pm. Checking the episode list on EpGuides.com the pilot episode was shown on 2nd October, 1983, with the next episode premiering on 15th October, 1983. So the pilot premiered on a Sunday, with the series moving to it's regular night on Saturdays two weeks later.

The thing is, the book says that after the October 1983 to January 1984 listing, the series aired on NBC (again, Saturdays at 10 pm - 11 pm) from March 1984 to May 1984. But the episode list on EpGuides.com shows new episodes premiering in February 1984.

The Yellow Rose, at the start of the 1983-84 season, had the following competition:

10 pm - 11 pm:

ABC: Fantasy Island (7th and final season)

CBS: CBS Saturday Movie (second half hour).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks