Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

MGM = COWARDS!!! (Red Dawn villians morph from Chinese to Korean!!)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   richAnd

richAnd

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted March 16 2011 - 01:43 PM

Yes, lets spare the rotten dictatorship any hurt feelings.  Poor America, how we miss you!

http://www.joblo.com...nese-box-office

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,189 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 16 2011 - 02:36 PM

I think the thread title should read "MGM= Wants as much money as possible just like every other company".

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Pete York

Pete York

Supporting Actor

• 560 posts

Posted March 16 2011 - 02:52 PM

And I think 'Hollywood' now officially makes more money from the overseas take than from domestic b.o. so, yeah, that's what this is about. Hey, you'll always have the original.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,303 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 16 2011 - 02:53 PM

Way to rob the film of any relevancy what so ever. It's not like China's going to let a film about a successful, youth driven insurgency into its theaters anyway.

North Korea simply doesn't have the resources, technology, or manpower to invade another country. Even if the United States had no military whatsoever, North Korea couldn't get significant troop levels here to mount a successful invasion.

China made sense because it has taken over from the USSR as America's new bogeyman. And the controversy around the film would have generated some badly needed buzz. With North Korea, they might as well make it direct-to-video.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,988 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted March 17 2011 - 08:07 AM

I would be upset by this if I thought this movie would be any good. I mean, the 80's one was just fine, I don't see this film bringing anything new to the table.

The cynical jerk in me thinks that the only way this remake would be interesting is if it showed just how useless and ill equipped this generation of kids today would be handling an emergency. There's no way they're going to make that movie.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 17 2011 - 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt 

Even if the United States had no military whatsoever, North Korea couldn't get significant troop levels here to mount a successful invasion.

Well, neither could China, so it doesn't really matter.  Either way, it's silly.  (Heck, it was silly in 1984, but it was still a really fun movie!)

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,303 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 17 2011 - 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman 

Well, neither could China, so it doesn't really matter.

China's a rising military power with the world's largest standing army. They're certainly not as credible a threat as the USSR was, but they play into current American paranoia and are many magnitudes more credible than North Korea.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 18 2011 - 04:50 AM

Many magnitudes more than zero is still zero. :)

China has a huge army but no way to transport them anywhere overseas.

At any rate, either way it has no connection to reality.  Considering MGM's financial situation, I can understand why they'd want to not alienate the Chinese market.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   WadeLil

WadeLil

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted March 21 2011 - 09:50 AM

I guess they (MGM) dont want to piss off americas bank lol........I wish i was joking.

1988-IT TAKES A NATION OF MILLIONS TO HOLD US BACK
2005-IT TOOK A NATION OF SELLOUTS TO HOLD US BACK.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,593 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted March 21 2011 - 10:26 AM

In the original film Cuba and Nicaragua were allied with the USSR. Sounds like China was going to be acting solo in the remake?

And I can't TELL you how many times I've been confused for a North Korean. :D

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   AlexF

AlexF

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted March 21 2011 - 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron Yee 

And I can't TELL you how many times I've been confused for a North Korean. :D

Soon people will think that you're leading an invasion of the US... a CGI and audio redone invasion!

Personally, I'm getting a little sick of all of these remakes.  So few of them have been worthwhile.  I question why some of them are being remade... this one included.