What's new

The Snoop Sisters-Original Opening Included (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, looks like VEI has done it again. Just got The Snoop Sisters set and starting with the second episode the original 'man with a flashlight' opening is included. Well, almost. The opening includes The Snoop Sisters, Banacek, Faraday & Company, and Tenafly. However, after the shot of Tenefly, the opening fades to black. It is missing the 'Tonight starring Helen Hayes & Mildred Natwick as the Snoop Sisters' part. That part may not have been part of the original broadcasts, I don't really know. Anyway, most of the original opening is there. Just wanted to let eveyone know.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to get this! I can remember watching the one about the satanic cult like it was yesterday! It scared the HELL out of me but I loved it. I have to laugh at the things I was allowed to watch as a little kid! I always talk about how kids today watch dvd's or stuff on-demand while kids of my era (early 70's) watched what the adults watched or found our own programs on the "little" tv's in other rooms. I preferred the grown-up stuff. I personally think it made us smarter and more sophisticated but that's totally off-topic so, apologies.

I have always wanted to see the pilot movie with Paulette Goddard and Art Carney as well (but never had the chance) I salivated when this was first announced, but UGH..... THAT PRICE!!!

I just cannot justify or rationalize paying nearly 50 dollars for a movie and four additional episodes. Even the Amazon discount right now is only 10% and the set is just too expensive. I would hate myself if I spent that much.

I'd love to have it but I will have to wait in hopes that it is priced more reasonably in the future.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I'm waiting for my copy to arrive. But I'm really excited to see it. I've never seen it before but it seemed right up my alley: Mystery and comedy! And who doesn't love seeing 2 old ladies get into trouble and then solve crimes at the same time. Can't wait.

Will, check out the Amazon Marketplace after a while. Sometimes people will get rid of their copy at a lower price.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I remember watching this as a kid. My mom loved it so I watched with her. This show was my first first exposure to Alice Cooper. Man,did he scare me when I was 7.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I got my copy today but have yet to watch. That said, I'm a little confused because my understanding was the Wednesday Mystery Movie used a different theme and not the Sunday Movie Mancini theme.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Brian Himes

Well, looks like VEI has done it again. Just got The Snoop Sisters set and starting with the second episode the original 'man with a flashlight' opening is included. Well, almost. The opening includes The Snoop Sisters, Banacek, Faraday & Company, and Tenafly. However, after the shot of Tenefly, the opening fades to black. It is missing the 'Tonight starring Helen Hayes & Mildred Natwick as the Snoop Sisters' part. That part may not have been part of the original broadcasts, I don't really know. Anyway, most of the original opening is there. Just wanted to let eveyone know.

Funny you mention it as just today I watched an episode of Tenafly and the opening credits shows Tenafly, Snoop Sisters, Banacek and Faraday and Company.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Originally Posted by Jack P

I got my copy today but have yet to watch. That said, I'm a little confused because my understanding was the Wednesday Mystery Movie used a different theme and not the Sunday Movie Mancini theme.

There was a separate Wednesday Mystery Movie theme by Quincy Jones, but I think it only aired during the first season. My Snoop Sisters set is scheduled to arrive today, so I haven't seen it yet. Is the Mystery Movie intro on the pilot film, too? If so, they added it, as the pilot was a stand-alone TV-movie which aired long before there was a Tenafly or a Faraday.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
No the intro is not on the pilot movie. And you're right that's where my confusion lay because it was only the 72-73 season that the Wednesday Mystery Movie had a different theme (and I assume a different opening). "Banacek" was the only title from that group to survive to a second season and I guess because of the lower ratings, they figured transferring the Sunday theme and open would somehow boost greater interest.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
This Snoop Sisters DVD set I'm considering getting, because I remember Helen Hayes' memorable guest appearance in a Hawaii Five-O episode.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Robert13

Will, check out the Amazon Marketplace after a while. Sometimes people will get rid of their copy at a lower price.

Thanks Robert, but I get funny about used dvds (silly I know.) Its not so much the money I object to with this set but the principle attached, as in a "cost versus worth" kind of thing. I appreciate that they put sets like this on the market and I want to be supportive, but the price is just too high for what is contained in the package. Not to sound like an ass, but I shouldn't have to take the hit (buying it used) to get it. If they price it reasonably, I'm happy to fork over my money. I'm interested in having it but its not a desperate need so I can wait (God knows I buy enough dvds and blu-rays as it is!)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I just wanted to check in here that I, at long last, finally received this set after months of delays from Amazon in filling the order.

While the mystery element is much weaker in these as opposed to, say, Ellery Queen, I am still greatly enjoying the interplay between Helen Hayes and Mildred Natwick in the series, and Lou Antonio makes a fun foil for them, too, and being younger, can do some of the down and dirty stuff that Art Carney wouldn't have been able to do had he continued in the role.

I've watched the pilot and the first episode, and I was very surprised to see how much physically Hayes and Natwick must do for their roles.

While there are some definite age-related artifacts that crop up from time to time, these films really do look terrific for their age.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I think the lucky initial posters got their releases "early" (either by a retailer error, or some sort of exclusive). The online stores I patronize, such as B&N and CD Universe, showed a 6/7/11 release date. My copy has already arrived at my local B&N, on hold (for me) until I pick it up.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Actually, I got mine early because it was released in Canada first and I went through Amazon Canada.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Received my copy today and spent most of the evening watching it. Very enjoyable trip back to the early 70's and the Mancini Mystery Movie Theme still gives goosebumps when it starts. Just as with Ellery Queen, I wish they had made more episodes. It is a lot of fun watching the marquee names having a lot of fun doing the episodes, with Vincent Price, Roddy McDowall, Joan Blondell, and the great Cyril Ritchard hamming it up.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
It's currently under $30 shipped on Amazon Marketplace. This is new not used from import cds.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004HHX9H8/sr=1-1/qid=1308402173/ref=olp_tab_new?ie=UTF8&coliid=&me=&qid=1308402173&sr=1-1&seller=&colid=&condition=new

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by ahollis

Received my copy today and spent most of the evening watching it. Very enjoyable trip back to the early 70's and the Mancini Mystery Movie Theme still gives goosebumps when it starts. Just as with Ellery Queen, I wish they had made more episodes. It is a lot of fun watching the marquee names having a lot of fun doing the episodes, with Vincent Price, Roddy McDowall, Joan Blondell, and the great Cyril Ritchard hamming it up.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Snoop Sisters: Complete Series set. On my 'TV set to get on DVD' list.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Although I have the complete series set on DVD, I stumbled across the pilot on YouTube tonight and watched it after not seeing it for several years. I have to say that I enjoyed Bert Convey and Lou Antonio in the series rather than Laurence Pressman and Art Carney in the Pilot.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Although I have the complete series set on DVD, I stumbled across the pilot on YouTube tonight and watched it after not seeing it for several years. I have to say that I enjoyed Bert Convey and Lou Antonio in the series rather than Laurence Pressman and Art Carney in the Pilot.

I watched the same pilot on YouTube recently, Matt, and had the opposite reaction to you. But then, I saw the pilot (with Pressman and Carney) first, so thought Convy and especially Antonio were OK, but weaker substitutes. Guess it's what you first get adjusted to...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I saw them originally (on broadcast TV) in the proper order, too, but I just felt Antonio and Convey had more charm and playful interplay with the two leads. Different strokes, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks