What's new

Anyone tried taking 3D pictures? (1 Viewer)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I saw some "cross eyed 3D" pictures that were pretty impressive so I thought I'd try one my self.

This is my first and only attempt. Once you "see" the 3D effect, it's very realistic. To view them you basically just need to cross your eyes: Focus on the grey line, then cross your yes. What you'll end up seeing is three images. Once you cross your eyes to get the three images, carefully focus on the middle image, it will be a 3D image of the two on your periphery. It can be difficult at first, but after "getting it" the first time, it comes more easily. If you're not quite sure how to view them, a quick google of "cross eyed 3D" turns up plenty of examples and viewing tips.

The pictures are really rather easy to create too.

When trying to view in 3D, click on the picture below to get a larger view as that helps.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Bryan,

You really want us to do it cross-eyed! (I myself am used doing it the "staring" way: the right picture being meant for the right eye, but you switched the two: the picture at the left is the one to be viewed with the right eye).

Not too bad, and very nice colours!

Cees

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks. I'm anxious to try a doing some more... but before I do, maybe you'd better tell me what the "staring" way is... I had only read about the "cross eyed 3d". So with the "staring" way, I need to swap the right and left photos?

*the above was taken with Canon 50D and 70-200L f/2.8 IS II

thomas206

Auditioning
Real Name
tom anderson
Oh....yes, I've only recently learned about these haha. They are very interesting. Different approach to photography...but it's kinda cool!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Originally Posted by Bryan X

Thanks. I'm anxious to try a doing some more... but before I do, maybe you'd better tell me what the "staring" way is... I had only read about the "cross eyed 3d". So with the "staring" way, I need to swap the right and left photos?

*the above was taken with Canon 50D and 70-200L f/2.8 IS II

Brian,

Yes. The right eye looks at the right picture and the left eye at the left. If they are not too far apart (I personally have a pupil distance of just below 3", which helps) and you sit a little more back from the photo, it's even more comfortable (because the viewing distance = lenses focus is more natural) than the cross-eyed method.

At least that's how I normally do it. One very good non-3D application is: "find the ten differences". Just fuse the images, and you can usually identify the differences within 15 secs.

Cees

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
If that's anything like how you had to look at those "Magic Eye" 3D posters that were popular a few years back, I could never get those to work without crossing my eyes... and then what was supposed to "pop out" look "punched in". For whatever reason, I find it a lot easier to do it cross eyed. Although it does seem to tire the eye quicker.

This page seems to describe the difference:

http://www.vision3d.com/3views.html

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Yes, the other way is more relaxed. You lean back and "let your eyes drift".

(Nice site, BTW!)

Cees

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wim:

Welcome to the HTF!

The problem with your images/links was that vbulletin code is not used on this platform. I fixed the links to the two images and your album for you.

The next time you want to post images or make clickable links, you just need to use the appropriate buttons above the Edit/Reply boxes in which you place your post text. Just copy/paste the appropriate URL into the pop-up dialogue box and you should be good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks