Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Cold Case

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 637 posts

Posted March 15 2011 - 08:33 AM

Love to see this one, but I'm sure it won't happen as the music rights would be a nightmare.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,755 posts

Posted March 16 2011 - 07:45 AM

You get that right.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   SimonTemplar

SimonTemplar

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted July 17 2012 - 12:07 AM

I am surprised no one has posted about this: http://www.jbfilms.c...vision/coldcase Coming soon to dvd!!!

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,263 posts

Posted July 17 2012 - 12:30 AM

Hopefully this will turn out to be true. I was watching an episode of Without a Trace on DVD and the music was intact, so I'm hoping this will work out for CC as well. We'll just have to wait and see. If this does come out on DVD maybe there is hope other series such a The Wonder Years, BJ & the Bear and New York Undercover may get released on DVD as well. :)

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,417 :biggrin: ( 757 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,424  :biggrin: Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   SimonTemplar

SimonTemplar

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted July 17 2012 - 02:43 AM

I have a feeling that there were other legal aspects to this being delayed rather than the music. I suspect we will see it on WAC.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   skees53

skees53

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted July 17 2012 - 06:01 AM

I have a feeling that there were other legal aspects to this being delayed rather than the music. I suspect we will see it on WAC.

There was an issue when the show premiered regarding the idea being "stolen" from the producers of the Canadian series Cold Squad. I don't think the Cold Squad producers ever actually took legal action, but they did retain an attorney to do just that. I really do wish that they would release the series on DVD. I personally don't like ANY of the Jerry Bruckheimer shows except for this one (the CSI series, in particular, are just awful in my opinion), yet this is basically the only one not on DVD. As for the link from the jbfilms.com website, it appears that it says "coming soon to DVD" for all of the series listed on there which are not currently airing... I'm not so confident about it.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,263 posts

Posted July 17 2012 - 07:19 AM

Returning to that site, and seeing many of his other shows that aren't out on DVD say they are "Coming Soon", I'm just going to take this with a Grain of Salt. :rolleyes:

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,417 :biggrin: ( 757 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,424  :biggrin: Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   SimonTemplar

SimonTemplar

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted July 17 2012 - 11:21 PM

I imagine that it is likely that Jerry B is looking to maximize his investment in shows that aren't running any more by getting them out on dvd. The MOD programmes have made it possible for non-big hitter shows to be distributed in smaller runs than would be needed in a full release. The recent Without a Trace S3 release is a good sign. I am dubious about the validity of the received wisdom that Cold Case's absence on dvd is entirely due to music rights. In the 1960s, the UK's Lew Grade made himself and his distribution company ITC extremely rich by being a forward thinking businessman. As a result, when he used The Beatles in The Prisoner, or any other popular music, he got the rights in perpetuity. DVD was around when the 1st season of CSI went to air and TV on DVD was also around. JB is a rich business man and I find it hard to believe that he didn't have an eye on the home entertainment market for any of the shows he was considering producing. With Cold Case, there are many other areas of legality that may also be responsible for the delay. CBS vs Warner, perhaps, or the Cold Squad vs Cold Case potential litigation. I do understand that nothing went to court at the time, but the Canadian company retained an extremely successful copyright lawyer. Who knows how much of a cut they may demand behind the scenes. I am aware that I am being optimistic in regards to this. I am good with optimism. Many films and TV shows I was certain would never see the light day on DVD have done so in excellent packages too.