Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

MGM Press Release: MGM Classics make debut on Blu-ray March 29th, 2011

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,555 posts

Posted March 14 2011 - 06:36 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/ http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

MGM March Blu-ray Classics

Several MGM Classics Make Their Debut on Blu-ray March 29, 2011

ALL DOGS GO TO HEAVEN FAST FACTS:

Street Date:                                    March 29, 2011

Rating:                                                      NR

Total Run Time:                                    88 minutes

ALL DOGS GO TO HEAVEN SYNOPSES:

Set in 1939 New Orleans, this colorful, song-filled story centers on Charles B. Barkin, a roguish German Shepherd with the charm of a con man and the heart of a marshmallow. Out for revenge against his double-crossing former partner, a cigar-chomping pit bull known as Carface, Charlie finds himself guardian to a lonely little orphan named Anne-Marie. Her astounding ability to talk to animals leads this unlikely pair on an adventure packed with thrills, laughs, tears and true love.

ALL DOGS GO TO HEAVEN 2 FAST FACTS:

Rating:                                                      G

Total Run Time:                                    86 minutes

ALL DOGS GO TO HEAVEN 2 SYNOPSES:

Get ready for plenty of thrills and excitement as everyone's favorite pups unleash their charm in this lively tale of courage, love and friendship that is captivating entertainment and dog gone good fun for all! All dogs do go to heaven...and some lucky few return to earth. That's what happens when mischievous mutt Charlie Barkin (Charlie Sheen) is asked to retrieve Gabriel's horn when it is stolen from heaven. Seeing his chance to have some fun, Charlie recruits his sidekick Itchy (Dom DeLuise) and happily steps up to the challenge. Immediately, the two get side tracked into trouble...until a sweet young runaway boy and a beautiful Irish setter (Sheena Easton) set them straight. But time is running out, and if Charlie is going to secure the valuable horn, he will have to prove himself worthy of his wings by taking on two incredible villains in a hair-raising, breathtaking race to the finish!

MATERIAL GIRLS FAST FACTS:

Rating:                                                      PG

Total Run Time:                                    98 minutes

MATERIAL GIRLS SYNOPSES:

Sisters Tanzie and Ava (Hilary and Haylie Duff) have it all — designer clothes to wear, hunky guys to date and millions of dollars to spend. Their life has been one big party since inheriting their dadÄ’s cosmetics company... but the party ends when a product scandal leaves the celebutantes without a penny to their name. It's a hilarious riches-to-rags tale as the girls go from maximum fun to minimum wage. Co-starring Anjelica Huston and Lukas Haas, MATERIAL GIRLS proves that laughter is always in fashion.

PICTURE THIS FAST FACTS:

Rating:                                                      PG-13

Total Run Time:                                    92 minutes

PICTURE THIS SYNOPSES:

Mandy has just been invited to the biggest party of the year by the most popular boy in school, but there’s one problem — she’s grounded! When her father agrees to let her go study with friends, he insists on checking in every half hour via video cell phone. Trapped by technology, Mandy and her “cell” mates need a little ingenuity — and a lot of imagination — to make it to the party without exposing the plan to Dad’s prying eyes!

THE SECRET OF NIMH FAST FACTS:

Total Run Time:                                    82 minutes

THE SECRET OF NIMH SYNOPSES:

Get ready to meet some runaway rodents with an earth-shattering secret! Suspenseful and heartwarming, this beautifully animated odyssey stars Mrs. Brisby, a mild-mannered mother mouse with a plan to move Heaven and Earth (or at least her house and home) to save her family from Farmer Fitzgibbon's plow! Along the way she gets some help from a lovelorn Crow, a busybody neighbor mouse and a fearsome Great Owl. Unfortunately, Mrs. Brisby will need an engineering miracle to hoist her home, and for that she must face a mysterious rat, fend off a ferocious cat and claim a magic amulet! But when Mrs. Brisby discovers the astounding secret of NIMH...it could change her life forever! This timeless tale of love, courage and determination will transport the whole family into an enchanting world where the bravest hearts live in the meekest of mice.

TEEN WOLF FAST FACTS:

Rating:                                                      PG

Total Run Time:                                    92 minutes

TEEN WOLF SYNOPSES:

What’s a high school kid got to do to be popular? Just let down his hair and howl! Starring Michael J. Fox (Back to the Future), Teen Wolf is an outrageous comedy about a shy teenager with more than a changing voice to contend with...he’s a budding young werewolf! And when his newfound powers help him score at basketball — and with the popular girls — he has some pretty hairy decisions to make.

THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD FAST FACTS:

Total Run Time:                                    199 minutes

THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD SYNOPSES:

“A magnificent film” (New York Daily News), this glorious epic is an inspiring, grand-scale recreation of the life of Jesus of Nazareth, from His humble birth and teachings to his crucifixion and ultimate Resurrection. Lavishly produced at a cost of $20 million — an enormous amount for the time — and honored with five 1965 Academy Award® Nominations, this exceptional motion picture is exquisitely beautiful. Now presented in its original theatrical brilliance with intermission and overture, it is truly The Greatest Story Ever Told.

LEGALLY BLONDE 2 FAST FACTS:

Rating:                                                      PG-13

Total Run Time:                                    95 minutes

LEGALLY BLOND 2 SYNOPSES:

When Elle (Reese Witherspoon) discovers that her lovable chihuahua Bruiser's mom is locked in a cruel animal testing facility, she heads to D.C. to fight for animal rights, give Washington a makeover and prove once and for all that America really is the land of the free... and the home of the blonde!

About Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, LLC

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, LLC (TCFHE) is a recognized global industry leader and a subsidiary of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, a News Corporation company. Representing 75 years of innovative and award-winning filmmaking from Twentieth Century Fox, TCFHE is the worldwide marketing, sales and distribution company for all Fox film and television programming, acquisitions and original productions on DVD, Blu-ray Disc Digital Copy, Video On Demand and Digital Download. The company also releases all products globally for MGM Home Entertainment. Each year TCFHE introduces hundreds of new and newly enhanced products, which it services to retail outlets from mass merchants and warehouse clubs to specialty stores and e-commerce throughout the world.

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc.

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc., through its operating subsidiaries, is actively engaged in the worldwide production and distribution of motion pictures, television programming, home video, interactive media, music and licensed merchandise. The company owns the world's largest library of modern films, comprising around 4,100 titles.  Operating units include Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures Inc., United Artists Films Inc., Ventanazul, MGM Television Entertainment Inc., MGM Networks Inc., MGM Domestic Networks LLC, MGM Distribution Co., MGM International Television Distribution Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Home Entertainment LLC, MGM ON STAGE, MGM Music, MGM Worldwide Digital Media, MGM Consumer Products and MGM Interactive.  In addition, MGM has ownership interests in international TV channels reaching nearly 120 countries.  MGM ownership is as follows:  Providence Equity Partners (29%), TPG (21%), Sony Corporation of America (20%), Comcast (20%), DLJ Merchant Banking Partners (7%) and Quadrangle Group (3%).  For more information, visit www.mgm.com.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 31 OFFLINE   James Luckard

James Luckard

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted March 16 2011 - 07:13 AM

I'm sorry, but that combination of covers up top is one of the funniest things I've seen in days:) What a bizarre mix in this batch.

#3 of 31 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,262 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 16 2011 - 07:18 AM

Oh totally!  I did a double-take on that yesterday, thinking it was some kind of a spoof.

Nauseating, is what it really is.

Much of what I despise about today's Movie Poster and Cover Art Template is represented in the simple pairing of those two images.

#4 of 31 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted March 16 2011 - 08:14 AM

Now if it were " West Side Story", ' Some Like It Hot", or the road show versions of 'The Alamo" or " Its Mad Mad Mad Mad World" I would be excited. I am sure someone must be glad these films are coming to blu. I am just not one of them.

#5 of 31 OFFLINE   gomezfan69

gomezfan69

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted March 16 2011 - 08:22 AM

Then you'll be glad to know that "Some Like It Hot" is on the way (Supposedly on 5/10).

#6 of 31 ONLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,954 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 16 2011 - 08:26 AM

well if you check the forum a little  a little deeper you will see that Fox/MGM has some really good things in our future, while not official press releases yet, Some Like it Hot is availible for pre order on Walmart.com along with lots more, check out Brandon Conways Release thread,

also the cover for greatest story ever told is not great, but the poster wasnt the greatest either, the blu ray on the other hand isnt well, wait for an offical review, but i will say it looks better.Posted Image

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#7 of 31 OFFLINE   DaveM4964

DaveM4964

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted March 16 2011 - 11:39 PM

Maybe they will release The Town That Dreaded Sundown someday.

#8 of 31 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,388 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted March 17 2011 - 02:15 AM

If The Secret of NIMH is coming out on blu, will it be in OAR?  If so, won't that be the first time it's released on disc that way?  My recollection was that this was not your typical kiddie animation, the theme was more adult oriented.

Yeah, I agree the juxtaposition of those two titles is...strange to say the least.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#9 of 31 ONLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,954 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 17 2011 - 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny Angell 

If The Secret of NIMH is coming out on blu, will it be in OAR?  If so, won't that be the first time it's released on disc that way?  My recollection was that this was not your typical kiddie animation, the theme was more adult oriented.

Yeah, I agree the juxtaposition of those two titles is...strange to say the least.

Ok so now you still have me wondering, is this going to be the same thing that was done with Excalibur, OAR or intended OAR, Bluth originaly intended 1:66:1  so i dont know if that is what we will see the specs are saying 1:78:1 which would be tight

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#10 of 31 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted March 22 2011 - 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by dana martin 

Ok so now you still have me wondering, is this going to be the same thing that was done with Excalibur, OAR or intended OAR, Bluth originaly intended 1:66:1  so i dont know if that is what we will see the specs are saying 1:78:1 which would be tight

Didn't Bluth approve the master used for the Family Fun DVD? (and subsequently the Blu-ray?) If that one was done in 1.85:1 (or 1.78:1, which would be a small difference anyway), then wouldn't Bluth approve this ratio?

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#11 of 31 ONLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,954 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 23 2011 - 10:39 AM

i thinkhe did, have gone to his site, but really i dont think he was involved much on this, would love to see a Bluth sequal, the 2 book, not the knock off that was made, make it to the theaters

Playing at the Drive In

#12 of 31 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted March 23 2011 - 11:16 AM

Teen Wolf is now considered a classic?

Another sign of the coming apocalypse.

Death before Streaming!

#13 of 31 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted March 24 2011 - 05:50 AM

Come now, if Teen Wolf can't be considered a classic, I don't know what can. :)

#14 of 31 OFFLINE   Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 582 posts

Posted March 24 2011 - 06:18 AM

Hey MGM, please release more widescreen epics in blu-ray for aging baby boomers like myself.  We may be dead soon, but there's still a lot of us around and we'd sure love to give you our money for things like "Solomon and Sheba". "Kings of the Sun", "Alexander the Great". "The Alamo" and "Exodus".  The standard DVD releases were pretty uninspiring and looked nothing like what we remembered seeing in the theater.  After buying your wonderful Aussie blu-ray release of "Taras Bulba" I was reminded of why I loved that movie so much as a kid.  You did everything right with that one, nice grain and sharp vivid colorful images.  It's really the right time to put these out.  We're not getting any younger!

#15 of 31 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted March 24 2011 - 07:20 AM

They're really using the term "Classic" loosely on this one...

I'll probably grab The Greatest Story Ever Told. It's not the best biblical epic ever made, but there is a charm to seeing the life of Jesus shot like a western. Max Von Sydow has to be the creepiest Jesus in film. Not to mention that every living actor working in Hollywood at the time seemed to get a part. Good stuff!

#16 of 31 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted March 24 2011 - 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Borst 

Didn't Bluth approve the master used for the Family Fun DVD? (and subsequently the Blu-ray?) If that one was done in 1.85:1 (or 1.78:1, which would be a small difference anyway), then wouldn't Bluth approve this ratio?

This thread indicates that NIMH was remastered in 2007 in HD, and is director-approved. The captures I've seen of the Family Fun edition are impressive, and I can only assume the same will be true of the BD. The transfers were also supervised by Gary Goldman, Bluth's longtime animation partner.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#17 of 31 ONLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,954 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 24 2011 - 01:59 PM

as for the term classic, at what point does a film become a classic, is it because of it's enderment, or is it the time that has passed (its age) thinking car wise 20 year old car is a classic, you dont call a film antique.

as for NIMH this gest bumped higher on the buy list after that statement

and Russell love those glasses, reminded me of something that i would like to see make it to blu ray, MGM film owned buy WB - in 3B (Three Beers) Hoser-rama

Posted Image
Playing at the Drive In

#18 of 31 OFFLINE   philip*eric

philip*eric

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted March 24 2011 - 07:30 PM

The Aussie TARAS BULBA -  is it Region B or region free?

#19 of 31 OFFLINE   Brian Sharp

Brian Sharp

Stunt Coordinator

• 228 posts
  • LocationRobin Hood Country

Posted March 24 2011 - 08:40 PM

and, talking of Taras Bulba, anyone know what the sound and picture quality is like on the Australian version?

#20 of 31 OFFLINE   Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 889 posts

Posted March 25 2011 - 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by philip*eric 
The Aussie TARAS BULBA -  is it Region B or region free?

It is labeled Region B on the packaging, however, it plays back with no problem on my Region A Panasonic player.