Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

MGM Press Release: MGM Classics make debut on Blu-ray March 29th, 2011

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,687 posts

Posted March 14 2011 - 06:36 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 31 OFFLINE   James Luckard

James Luckard

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted March 16 2011 - 07:13 AM

I'm sorry, but that combination of covers up top is one of the funniest things I've seen in days:) What a bizarre mix in this batch.

#3 of 31 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,610 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 16 2011 - 07:18 AM

Oh totally!  I did a double-take on that yesterday, thinking it was some kind of a spoof. Nauseating, is what it really is. Much of what I despise about today's Movie Poster and Cover Art Template is represented in the simple pairing of those two images.

#4 of 31 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,548 posts

Posted March 16 2011 - 08:14 AM

Now if it were " West Side Story", ' Some Like It Hot", or the road show versions of 'The Alamo" or " Its Mad Mad Mad Mad World" I would be excited. I am sure someone must be glad these films are coming to blu. I am just not one of them.

#5 of 31 OFFLINE   gomezfan69

gomezfan69

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted March 16 2011 - 08:22 AM

Then you'll be glad to know that "Some Like It Hot" is on the way (Supposedly on 5/10).

#6 of 31 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,266 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 16 2011 - 08:26 AM

well if you check the forum a little  a little deeper you will see that Fox/MGM has some really good things in our future, while not official press releases yet, Some Like it Hot is availible for pre order on Walmart.com along with lots more, check out Brandon Conways Release thread, also the cover for greatest story ever told is not great, but the poster wasnt the greatest either, the blu ray on the other hand isnt well, wait for an offical review, but i will say it looks better.
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#7 of 31 OFFLINE   DaveM4964

DaveM4964

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted March 16 2011 - 11:39 PM

Maybe they will release The Town That Dreaded Sundown someday.

#8 of 31 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,576 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted March 17 2011 - 02:15 AM

If The Secret of NIMH is coming out on blu, will it be in OAR?  If so, won't that be the first time it's released on disc that way?  My recollection was that this was not your typical kiddie animation, the theme was more adult oriented.

Yeah, I agree the juxtaposition of those two titles is...strange to say the least.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#9 of 31 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,266 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 17 2011 - 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny Angell 

If The Secret of NIMH is coming out on blu, will it be in OAR?  If so, won't that be the first time it's released on disc that way?  My recollection was that this was not your typical kiddie animation, the theme was more adult oriented.

Yeah, I agree the juxtaposition of those two titles is...strange to say the least.

Ok so now you still have me wondering, is this going to be the same thing that was done with Excalibur, OAR or intended OAR, Bluth originaly intended 1:66:1  so i dont know if that is what we will see the specs are saying 1:78:1 which would be tight

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#10 of 31 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted March 22 2011 - 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by dana martin 

Ok so now you still have me wondering, is this going to be the same thing that was done with Excalibur, OAR or intended OAR, Bluth originaly intended 1:66:1  so i dont know if that is what we will see the specs are saying 1:78:1 which would be tight

Didn't Bluth approve the master used for the Family Fun DVD? (and subsequently the Blu-ray?) If that one was done in 1.85:1 (or 1.78:1, which would be a small difference anyway), then wouldn't Bluth approve this ratio?

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#11 of 31 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,266 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 23 2011 - 10:39 AM

i thinkhe did, have gone to his site, but really i dont think he was involved much on this, would love to see a Bluth sequal, the 2 book, not the knock off that was made, make it to the theaters
Playing at the Drive In

#12 of 31 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted March 23 2011 - 11:16 AM

Teen Wolf is now considered a classic? Another sign of the coming apocalypse.
Death before Streaming!

#13 of 31 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted March 24 2011 - 05:50 AM

Come now, if Teen Wolf can't be considered a classic, I don't know what can. :)

#14 of 31 OFFLINE   Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 690 posts

Posted March 24 2011 - 06:18 AM

Hey MGM, please release more widescreen epics in blu-ray for aging baby boomers like myself.  We may be dead soon, but there's still a lot of us around and we'd sure love to give you our money for things like "Solomon and Sheba". "Kings of the Sun", "Alexander the Great". "The Alamo" and "Exodus".  The standard DVD releases were pretty uninspiring and looked nothing like what we remembered seeing in the theater.  After buying your wonderful Aussie blu-ray release of "Taras Bulba" I was reminded of why I loved that movie so much as a kid.  You did everything right with that one, nice grain and sharp vivid colorful images.  It's really the right time to put these out.  We're not getting any younger!

#15 of 31 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,421 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted March 24 2011 - 07:20 AM

They're really using the term "Classic" loosely on this one...

I'll probably grab The Greatest Story Ever Told. It's not the best biblical epic ever made, but there is a charm to seeing the life of Jesus shot like a western. Max Von Sydow has to be the creepiest Jesus in film. Not to mention that every living actor working in Hollywood at the time seemed to get a part. Good stuff!

#16 of 31 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,246 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted March 24 2011 - 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Borst 

Didn't Bluth approve the master used for the Family Fun DVD? (and subsequently the Blu-ray?) If that one was done in 1.85:1 (or 1.78:1, which would be a small difference anyway), then wouldn't Bluth approve this ratio?

This thread indicates that NIMH was remastered in 2007 in HD, and is director-approved. The captures I've seen of the Family Fun edition are impressive, and I can only assume the same will be true of the BD. The transfers were also supervised by Gary Goldman, Bluth's longtime animation partner.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#17 of 31 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,266 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 24 2011 - 01:59 PM

as for the term classic, at what point does a film become a classic, is it because of it's enderment, or is it the time that has passed (its age) thinking car wise 20 year old car is a classic, you dont call a film antique.

as for NIMH this gest bumped higher on the buy list after that statement

and Russell love those glasses, reminded me of something that i would like to see make it to blu ray, MGM film owned buy WB - in 3B (Three Beers) Hoser-rama

Posted Image
Playing at the Drive In

#18 of 31 OFFLINE   philip*eric

philip*eric

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted March 24 2011 - 07:30 PM

The Aussie TARAS BULBA -  is it Region B or region free?

#19 of 31 OFFLINE   Brian Sharp

Brian Sharp

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts
  • LocationRobin Hood Country

Posted March 24 2011 - 08:40 PM

and, talking of Taras Bulba, anyone know what the sound and picture quality is like on the Australian version?

#20 of 31 OFFLINE   Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 928 posts

Posted March 25 2011 - 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by philip*eric 
The Aussie TARAS BULBA -  is it Region B or region free?

It is labeled Region B on the packaging, however, it plays back with no problem on my Region A Panasonic player.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users