What's new

Center channel upper shelf for flat screen? (1 Viewer)

keithling

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Keith Ling
My home theater features a Samsung 40" 1080P LCD and Polk Monitors (70s-front, 30s on stands for rear, PSW505 subs, and a CS2 center. My entertainment center has only 7" high shelves, so my CS2 won't fit underneath. I've had the center behind the TV. My options at this point are:

1. Leave the CS2 where it is and settle for lousy center sound

2. Purchase a CSi A4 for 210.00, which has 5.25" woofers instead of 6.5" and put it on the shelf just under the TV

3. Get one of these and put it on top of the TV:
http://www.amazon.com/OmniMount-CCH1B-Center-Channel-Speaker/dp/B00067AIEU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1299786153&sr=8-5

I'm wondering if this shelf and the weight of the CS2 is going to cause stress issues on the screen. Any recommendations?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Why not just build your own shelf on the wall? How far out from the wall is the TV?

I don't know if I'd trust a shelf like the one in your link that's cantilevered off the television itself.

Fortunately, any shelf you build will be virtually invisible to viewers, so you can go pretty "ghetto" if you need to for now. Paint it black, add a slight downward tilt if you want to get fancy (or just prop up the back of the speaker).

Your other options are really poor ones - the center channel is arguably the most important in a surround system, and it's crucial that it be timbre-matched to your mains (so don't go with the smaller drivers).

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I agree with Jason. What I did was put up a shelf for all 3 front speakers. Since the TV, wall, shelf, and speakers are all black, it blends in nice and is barely noticeable. The shelf sits just above the TV, with all 3 speakers angled down slightly.

keithling

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Keith Ling
The TV is on a 60" x 24" x 21" steel and glass center with 7" high lower shelves. I sits in front of a large picture window with heavy curtains, so there is no wall directly behind the system.

One other option is to use one of these:

http://is.gd/mNL6eK

I would have to attach some rubber feet on the bottow to allow enough clearance for the CS2. This would raise the TV 9", but would put the center channel speaker in better line with the front R/L.

keithling

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Keith Ling
I found some 1/8" thick sticky-back rubber furniture grippers, so I can use those to make the riser tall enough. I don't care for the idea of putting the speaker on top of the TV. The riser was on sale and included free shipping. That will be my solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks