Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How does a native SVGA (800x600) create a max UXGA (1600x1200) 1080p image?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   RoboBloodMonkey

RoboBloodMonkey

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted March 10 2011 - 06:10 AM

I'm currently looking into purchasing my first projector.  I've spent the past couple days researching and learning as much as i can, but I have a couple of questions.  My understanding is that native resolution means the actual physical number of pixels. So if a projector spec sheets lists its native resolution as "SVGA (800x600)" and it's max resolution as "UXGA (1600 x 1200), 1080p", how does it achieve this?  From what i have read it sounds like the larger max resolution is just a stretched image, and that to create the HD 16:9 aspect ratio it cuts off part of the top and bottom of the image.  So how does it create a 1080p image from a 800x600 physical source?  Is it not a true 1080p image? The actual projector i'm looking at is an Optoma GT360.  It's spec sheet can be found here:

http://www.amazon.co...99783725&sr=8-1

My second question is when part of the image is cut off the top and bottom to change a 4:3 aspect ratio to a 16:9, is some light still projected to that cut off area?

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,918 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted March 10 2011 - 07:26 AM

Welcome to Home Theater Forum Marcus.  Congratulations on a pending projector purchase.  Its a lot of fun to put movies and games on your own big screen.

I looked through the projector specs at both Amazon and on Optomas website and I agree that it is a bit confusing.  Here is what it actually means:

Native Resolution 800x600: This is the actual resolution of the projector.  It is going to take what ever you input and convert it to this resolution.

Max Resolution: This is the highest resolution it can accept via the inputs.  If you feed it a 1080P signal, it is going to downconvert it to 800x600 which is not a true 1080P image (which would be 1920x1080).  If you feed it a 480i signal it will upconvert it to 800x600.

Usually displays will take an input that is a different resolution and just scale it to the native resolution, so you will get a less detailed picture, but is should have the same aspect ratio.