• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Brian McP

Brian McP

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted March 09 2011 - 12:45 PM

This article is from Leonard Maltin's Movie Crazy blog, the details are at the end of the article:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/leonardmaltin/archives/the_fruits_of_film_preservation/

As a life long Laurel and Hardy fan, this news is like finding the Dead Sea Scrolls -- unfortunately after 70-80 years, the original materials probably would be in the same state as the Dead Sea Scrolls and I can only wish those film restorers who do go in and come face to face with these original materials, all the luck in the world. I'm a member of the Sons of the Desert and when all this is formally announced, I hope we can be of help.

In the world of film restoring, one can see this as a 'rescue mission' in the strictest sense. Robert, I know your specialty has been large format films, but perhaps not work this old and pillaged-- if you had any suggestions to those who go on this 'mission', what would it be and how would you approach this collection?

Also what standard would you ensure the restorers do before 'signing off' on each title and returning these new restored versions back into the Archive?
Keep in mind, the majority of these titles are two reelers and 3-4 reel features. Thanks!

#2 of 4 Steve...O

Steve...O

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,165 posts

Posted March 12 2011 - 08:04 AM

I had a chance to see a theatrical screening of the restored "Way Out West" last year and it was absolutely wonderful.  UCLA's team did a marvelous job with this title, and it looked much better than most of the current versions out there in home video land.   I applaud the initiative to finally treat this catalog with the care and respect it needs.   Hopefully it isn't too late.  The stories of Michael Agee storing 35mm negatives in his California garage are mind boggling.

After these restorations are complete, let's hope the rights issues that have kept these off the market in North America are sufficiently resolved to allow a high quality DVD release of Roach era L&H.

Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#3 of 4 Brian McP

Brian McP

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted August 01 2011 - 03:29 PM

Our Sons of the Desert tent has already contributed to the fund and having read much more on the upcoming restoration, the original materials at UCLA could not be in better hands.

#4 of 4 kitt1987

kitt1987

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted March 28 2013 - 05:55 AM

Have contributed to this restoration myself and am looking forward to the day when we can all witness their full catalog in all its restored glory.  It's too bad we can't get the surviving silent shorts they made as well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Robert Harris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users