Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Newer DVDs and startup behavior...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   CRyan

CRyan

Screenwriter

• 1,244 posts

Posted March 09 2011 - 11:08 AM

I just rented a DVD for the first time in a Looooong time. I put it in and realized I could not jump forward or select the menu or anything. I certainly remember being prevented from doing this previously but this time it was insane (to me at least). The previews kept going and going and inlcuded a bluray demonstration, many movie previews, a preview for a video game, a preview for a show on ABC Family, etc. It went on forever!

Do they have different pressings for rental and purchased DVDs now? Anyway, I decided (maybe 5 minutes in) that would be quicker to just rip the friggen thing (I am guessing I was right). I NEVER rip rentals actually but I felt like I was pushed to do so. The movie sucked anyway. So I guess the question is this the norm now for DVD???

I cannot imagine actually owning a DVD like that. Having to watch that mess for 10 minutes or so EVERY time you wanted to watch the movie. Just horrible.

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted March 09 2011 - 03:44 PM

No, that is not the norm. But there are some DVD's and Blu-rays that do this. Were you hitting the skip ahead button or the FF/search button? Next time, hit the FF/search button on the remote. Most times it will FF thru that crap.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   CRyan

CRyan

Screenwriter

• 1,244 posts

Posted March 10 2011 - 03:26 AM

Yea that was the thing.  It would not allow me to FF or skip or title-menu past it.  I was litterally stuck watching every second of it.  The movie was "Life as We Know It."  I threw it in a Win7 computer and before ripping it, I tried Media Player.  It wouldn't even allow me to use the mouse to move the progress bar forward.

At least I am glad to know that it is not that common but still...

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Patrick Mason

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted March 10 2011 - 03:40 AM

"Rental" versions of new releases are becoming pretty standard, with forced trailers at the front of the disc in addition to the disc being scrubbed of all special features.  In some cases even chapter selection menus are removed.  The whole practice is a bit odd to me, as I'm not going to buy a movie I've never seen simply because a blooper reel is missing or don't want to wait for trailers.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   CRyan

CRyan

Screenwriter

• 1,244 posts

Posted March 10 2011 - 05:43 AM

So you are confirming there are in fact separate pressings for rental and purchased DVDs?

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted March 10 2011 - 08:54 AM

There definitely is different pressings.  As mentioned I have rented several from the redbox that have all special features removed.

It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink:

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   CRyan

CRyan

Screenwriter

• 1,244 posts

Posted March 11 2011 - 05:02 AM

Interesting.  I had no idea - Must be relatively new.  Thanks!  At least I know now people who buy dont have to put up with that.