What's new

MobileMe vs Gmail? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What's your experience of MobileMe vs Gmail? I may need to switch from Gmail to MobileMe, and I'm not been a fan of MM's value, inferior spam filtering, or "heavy" web interface. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

I use Gmail; have been for about six years. I like its superb spam filtering, and its lightweight web interface works on even the most outdated browser -- useful airline checking on hotel computers.

My wife uses MobileMe. My perception is its spam filtering is inferior and its super-HTML5-ey webview doesn't work on older browsers (c.f. hotel PCs).

And bridging the gap between us is BusyCal, which lets us sync calendars.

Apple's upcoming forced-upgrade to the new MobileMe will break that.

I have to change something. The cheapest, but impossible, route is to switch my wife to Google.

The cheap and hard option is to cobble together some frankenstein system of Google Cal, BusyCal, and MobileMe.

The easy but expensive option is for me to switch to Mobile Me.

Obviously, I can look at my wife's MM setup to see how it works. But I'm curious how you feel about Google vs MobileMe, the pricing, spam filtering, and so on.

Should I switch? I think the MM family plan would work for us, which would make it $50 / yr for me, instead of $99.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
I use MobileMe and while it was buggy at the outset, I haven't had any problems in over two years. I've had no problem re-upping for $79 or so every year. Spam filtering is less of an issue for me, since I don't use my MM mail account for any e-mail directly. Instead I have my work and personal accounts forwarded to MM so I can take advantage of the push mail functionality on the iPhone.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I just added tHe 2 .month free trial of ME and after going around in it for a little while I can't figure it out or what I need it for. Especially the email portion of it, gmail works as good as anything I could ever want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks