Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Lord of the Rings Limited Edition Blu-ray available for Pre-order on Amazon

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#41 of 57 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted March 08 2011 - 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Vincent_P 

In terms of image quality sure, but a single BD-25 could contain the extras from both supplemental DVDs for each film, AND the documentaries from the later "Limited Editions".  So you'd have a "cleaner" set, so to speak-  each movie on a BD-50, along with a single BD-25 extras disc for each film.

EDIT:  I see Stephen Brooks made the same point in post #25.

Vincent

Yes but with the recent reports that blu-ray production is reaching the limits of its capacity and there will be street date delays in the next few months, this maybe a production issue more than anything else.

http://www.homemedia...roduction-23217

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#42 of 57 OFFLINE   AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted March 08 2011 - 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Russell G 

This is one of the most well regarded film series to come out since Star Wars. Regardless of bitrate speculation, I doubt these will be a sub par transfers.

Same was true of the Theatrical Edition Blu-rays, yet the video was sub par on those.

Warner is still finalizing the details of the set.  While I do want to see the breathing room two discs would provide, I'd much rather proper mastering and encoding if I had to pick between the two.  I think the fact that the lower bitrate MPEG-2 HD Broadcasts showed details smeared away on the TE Blu-ray illustrates why.

Still, if it turns out they will be cramming Return of the King onto a single disc, I'll be canceling my pre-order and wait for reviews before deciding.

#43 of 57 OFFLINE   theonemacduff

theonemacduff

Second Unit

• 325 posts
  • Locationthe wet coast

Posted March 09 2011 - 09:41 AM

This is a no-brainer, no-buy for me, even though I am a huge fan of the films. (1) No guarantee yet that the films will sport a new transfer, in the context of many reports of sub-par transfers of the theatrical releases and (2) trying to make me buy the EE supplements all over again: I already gots 'em. So I'll wait until either the price drops to a reasonable level, or a set including the 2 Hobbit films comes out, probably the former. And speaking of price drops, just after Christmas I found the Alien BR set at Costco for $49.99. If the same thing happens next January with the EE of LOTR, then sure, it's worth picking up. But it has to be in the $40-$50 range.

#44 of 57 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted March 09 2011 - 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas Monce 

Yes but with the recent reports that blu-ray production is reaching the limits of its capacity and there will be street date delays in the next few months, this maybe a production issue more than anything else.

http://www.homemedia...roduction-23217

Doug

This is more likely due to the cost of reauthoring the discs - they already have them, why spend more to put them on Bluray?

#45 of 57 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted March 09 2011 - 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Ulmer 

This is more likely due to the cost of reauthoring the discs - they already have them, why spend more to put them on Bluray?

I think both situations are probably factors. One they already have the DVDs  on hand, and two if producing blu-rays of SD material is going to delay the release, why bother?

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#46 of 57 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,901 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted March 09 2011 - 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by theonemacduff 

This is a no-brainer, no-buy for me, even though I am a huge fan of the films. (1) No guarantee yet that the films will sport a new transfer, in the context of many reports of sub-par transfers of the theatrical releases and (2) trying to make me buy the EE supplements all over again: I already gots 'em. So I'll wait until either the price drops to a reasonable level, or a set including the 2 Hobbit films comes out, probably the former. And speaking of price drops, just after Christmas I found the Alien BR set at Costco for $49.99. If the same thing happens next January with the EE of LOTR, then sure, it's worth picking up. But it has to be in the $40-$50 range.

Sensible plan.  Posted Image  

I'll go with the latter.  Hobbits included!  I'm fine with the DVDs upconverted.  I have the flipper DVDs and those looked great last time I watched on an old TV. About time for a watch on my newer big plasma thingie I have now and louder speakers and stuff. 

Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#47 of 57 ONLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted March 10 2011 - 05:37 AM

I intend to buy this because I'm dying for the extended editions in 1080p, even though 6 of the 9 discs in this set will be duplicates of what I already own. Wouldn't it have been nice if Warner could have also put out a 3-disc movie-only edition to avoid this duplication and give us a little bit of a price-break.

#48 of 57 OFFLINE   johnSM

johnSM

Second Unit

• 432 posts

Posted March 11 2011 - 04:42 AM

Has there been any word about the UK release date for this set yet? No pre-order on amazon.co.uk as yet...

#49 of 57 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,665 posts

Posted March 11 2011 - 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by johnSM 

Has there been any word about the UK release date for this set yet? No pre-order on amazon.co.uk as yet...

The slot is there. You can set your account to be notified when it gets released. (That's what I did.)

Cees

#50 of 57 OFFLINE   Norm

Norm

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted March 12 2011 - 02:35 AM

What happened to the seamless branching idea. The Lord of the Rings : Extended Edition should have both versions on it.

#51 of 57 OFFLINE   Norm

Norm

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted March 12 2011 - 02:46 AM

I'm am still not sure which versions I like better. Sometimes its nice to have the TC version when watching with people who have limited time. I've never even seen the ROTK DC. I was waiting to see it on blu-ray. I just hope C. Lee is added enough to make the wait worth it.

#52 of 57 OFFLINE   Khai L

Khai L

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted March 17 2011 - 09:20 PM

bluray.com is reporting that the set will include 15 discs in total???? Does this mean that the movies will be split across 2 BDs? 15 discs sounds ridiculous. Consolidate the extra features onto a BD for christ's sake, even if they are still SD quality!!!!

#53 of 57 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,537 posts

Posted March 18 2011 - 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Khai L 

bluray.com is reporting that the set will include 15 discs in total???? Does this mean that the movies will be split across 2 BDs? 15 discs sounds ridiculous. Consolidate the extra features onto a BD for christ's sake, even if they are still SD quality!!!!

Apparently, the films will be split across 2 BDs (good news, they need that much space).  I've heard a rumor that the extras will be on 9 DVDs because BD production capacity is reaching its limits.

#54 of 57 OFFLINE   Khai L

Khai L

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted March 21 2011 - 01:26 PM

Glad to hear that official announcement indicates each movie will be on 2 BDs. But still hate that all the extras are just on DVDs. I would've preferred the features to be consolidated on BDs, even if they were in SD quality.

But, the movies are the most important thing, and if a remaster of FOTR is included, that's fantastic.

I'm sure there'll be a lot of 12hr LOTR marathons come June!!

#55 of 57 OFFLINE   Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted March 21 2011 - 01:34 PM

It would be nice if they fixed the scene in The Return of the King when the Mouth of Sauron...

...and his horse vanished from the ground in the long shot after Aragorn chopped his head off. Like, okay the horse rode off with the body, but where's the head?

My DVDs

#56 of 57 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted March 22 2011 - 06:14 AM

I'm not concerned about the bitrate (the TE of ROTK, including audio tracks, is a shade under 30GB, and I'm sure the extra material won't take up an extra 20GB), but I do hope DNR-gate doesn't happen again with the EEs.

I actually think the TEs look quite faithful to the film prints I saw (and I saw these films in their theatrical release over and over again ;)), but the DNR instances are jarring reminders that I am not, in fact, watching my own private 35mm prints.

Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#57 of 57 OFFLINE   Phil Carter

Phil Carter

Second Unit

• 324 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted March 22 2011 - 08:02 AM

Like others, I'm a little sad that the existing supplements are reissues of the current DVD versions and not remastered (I already own the giftsets for all three Extended films), but remastered FOTR plus each film being split over two discs for the highest possible video quality means I will nevertheless be picking these up on release date. Then again, what do you expect from somebody who went to Trilogy Tuesday and eventually saw each of the movies at least twenty times in theatres? :)

"I should never have written all of those tank programs."
-- Kevin Flynn, "Tron"
** My DVD / Blu-Ray collection; profile by DVD Profiler **