Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need help with surround

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Flanker

Flanker

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted March 06 2011 - 07:31 AM

Hi, I am new to forum and looking for suggestions for the surround L/R and rear L/R for a 7.1 system. My current set-up is: Room size:  14'x20' with TV on the 14' wall and couch at about 10-11ft away. TV:  Samsung PN58C680 Plasma 3D Reciever:  Onkyo HT-R530 Center:    Klipsch Synergy SLX (I use one as my center, but I actually have two since they used to be my L/R speakers before I got my sony's) front L/R:  Sony SS-F7000 towers Current sourround:  Onkyo SKB-530's - these came with the reciever (theater in a box) Sub:  Onkyo SK-W-530 - also came with reciever (theater in a box) I know this is a mishmash of brands etc., but it was put together simply based on funds and availability - it was not all purchased together. My question is - I am looking to replace the Onkyo surround speakers - they are boxy and will not mount in the areas I would need (above french doors etc).  I am looking for good, inexpensive surrounds for a 7.1 system that will provide good surround sound for Blu-Rays as well as good sound for all channel music.  I need them to mount on the wall between the top of a french doorway and the ceiling - which is about an 11" space.  Any suggestions?  I really would not want to spend over $100/speaker.  I would have gone with Sony if they made a surround to compliment the SS-F7000's, but I can't find any.  If I cant use the same brand, what should I go with? Thanks for your help!

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Flanker

Flanker

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted March 07 2011 - 05:21 AM

One option for me would be to purchase the Sony SSCN5000 center channel, which would give me all sony up front. Then use my 2 Klipsch Synergy SLX's as sides and keep 2 of the Onkyo surround SKB-530's for the back speakers. In order to do this, I would need to mount the SLX's horizontally on the sides...do you think this would effect surround effects since the speakers are about 25" long? Or I could keep the fronts as is and purchase 4 surrounds...thoughts? Also, any opinions on if I will be taking a step down in quality on the center channel if I swicth from the SLX to the Sony SSCN5000? Thanks!  

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,787 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted March 07 2011 - 01:54 PM

Using the three Sony's in the front is probably the best option. The front three need to be a close to each other as possible. Mounting the SLX's sideways shouldn't be a problem since they are being used for surrounds.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users