Auditioning
Real Name
doug
hello

best screen material for roller version with in wall speaker behind screen

thanks in advance

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
there are two ways I'm familiar with for doing AT (acoustically transparent) (perforated) screens. One is to take a regular screen material, and punch a zillion holes in it, which, in the case of a sheet-material, will make it more subject to tearing.

The other form, is to "weave" the screen, except not completely "filling" it, which yields a zillion holes, but without harming the structural integrity of the material.

Most screen makers will provide samples of their screen materials and/or fabrics.

If you're doing it from the Joann Fabrics School of Screens (which I graduated from a year or two ago,) then the ideal materials are probably pure-cotton weaves, in white or gray, depending. Synthetics often have a bit of a sheen that may translate into "hot spots" from the projector. I suspect, but am not sure, that a sort-of ideal material would be a cotton "jersey" cloth.

Also, something important about all AT screens: they also let light through them. If the wall / speaker / whatever behind the image area is not going to be flat black, I strongly recommend doing a "double" screen, where anywhere from an inch to 5 inches behind the image-screen, hang a light-trap screen. It doesn't have to be heavy; indeed, it should be fairly light-weight. Even synthetic black felt, a black sheet, black cotton jersey, black nylon "french terry" (got that once, for cheap. It was great. Can't find it again for anything remotely resembling affordable.) This second screen does not need to be flat, smooth, or anything like that; it just needs to be a light-trap. If you've got something reflective back there, you'll get stray, bright reflections here-n-there. If you've got a white/light colored wall, you'll see a second-image; mostly on contrasty stuff, and especially visible during credits and such.

Leo

striperri

Auditioning
Real Name
doug
Thhank you for the reponses

I might go with a slightly smaller screen use the [COLOR= #040858][/COLOR]In-Wall Reference Line Source Speaker so ican fit them on the

If I go with 108 screen I have about only about 25" on each side. Do you think it is to close to the walls for the fronts though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks